PDA

View Full Version : Oblivious spectator causes crash

LegendRider
06-22-2015, 01:02 PM
Excuse me, sir, there is a bike race going on.

https://youtu.be/5MK_oNy85hI

On a happier note, the telemetry is cool.

brockd15
06-22-2015, 01:08 PM
Ouch.

Even if there wasn't a race going on, shouldn't ya look before pulling out into the road, fella?

LegendRider
06-22-2015, 01:14 PM
I just heard from a friend that the guy who caused it was wearing earbuds. Still, he's lucky it wasn't a UPS truck.

Dead Man
06-22-2015, 01:33 PM
Such a lame way to DNF.

I try to have a lot of grace for my fellow man, but I'd be really angry...

msl819
06-22-2015, 01:43 PM
Ouch.

Even if there wasn't a race going on, shouldn't ya look before pulling out into the road, fella?

I am with you... Even with earbuds in, which I don't understand, for your own self you should look both ways to see what was coming.

nooneline
06-22-2015, 02:25 PM
that's waukesha! i love that crit course.

MattTuck
06-22-2015, 02:36 PM
Was this the lead group? Is there a pace car?

Not blaming the race organizers, just curious.

Whether it is pedestrians, cyclists or drivers... you need to exercise more care when using public roads. Would have been nice if he could have learned the lesson without taking down so many riders.

coffeecake
06-22-2015, 02:53 PM
Ugh. So stupid. The guy on the left, however, just squeaked by. Nice.

William
06-22-2015, 03:38 PM
I fully agree that person should have looked before entering the street. What I do notice is that there is no tape marking the course here, bikes are quiet, and this guy could have come from a direction where he didn't encounter the race until that point. He still should have looked, but I also think the course should have been taped off here.

William

giordana93
06-22-2015, 04:17 PM
Should have looked, yes, but footage a few seconds previous seems to show the race was going against the normal flow of a one way street. I dont tend to look in the opposite direction of traffic either on a one way...
Just looked again and I guess it wasnt one way but they are still riding opposite direction of normal traffic. No one thought to yell?

Dead Man
06-22-2015, 04:25 PM
And it's a crosswalk

Yea.... that wasn't really his bad. It was (riding in a crosswalk, earbuds, poor situational awareness), but it was mostly bad luck, for him. If anyone's to blame, it's the promoters.

benb
06-22-2015, 04:28 PM
Course should have been closed/monitored.

If they aren't going to put up barriers where is the team/club member from the sponsoring team who is supposed to be standing at the crosswalk directing traffic? :rolleyes:

I did this (directing traffic) way too many times when I was in a racing club at a place far less busy than this course looks to not put some of the blame on the organizer/club/whatever.

Even worse if the race was running the wrong way on a one-way street.. they're lucky a big-rig didn't pull into the course.

JAllen
06-22-2015, 04:49 PM
What a cluster F.

That is quite unfortunate. Hope no one was too badly hurt. I also hope the dude learned a valuable lesson. Next time he could be a hood ornament...

JAllen
06-22-2015, 04:51 PM
Should have looked, yes, but footage a few seconds previous seems to show the race was going against the normal flow of a one way street. I dont tend to look in the opposite direction of traffic either on a one way...
Just looked again and I guess it wasnt one way but they are still riding opposite direction of normal traffic. No one thought to yell?

Always check for salmon!!! I've seen way too many people going the wrong way down a one way.

Someone did kinda yell... somewhat.