PDA

View Full Version : Record rear derailleur mounting bolt "slop"

john segal
06-22-2015, 08:32 AM
I have a circa 2004 Record rear derailleur that's begun to develop a fair amount "slop" at the mounting bolt, resulting in some funky auto shifting.

Is there a ready-made shim or washer available that I can place between the derailleur and the hanger to take up some of the play, or do I need to make my own--in which case, is a soda can shim my best bet, or possibly a Velo Orange leather fender washer?

Many thanks.

oldpotatoe
06-22-2015, 08:57 AM
I have a circa 2004 Record rear derailleur that's begun to develop a fair amount "slop" at the mounting bolt, resulting in some funky auto shifting.

Is there a ready-made shim or washer available that I can place between the derailleur and the hanger to take up some of the play, or do I need to make my own--in which case, is a soda can shim my best bet, or possibly a Velo Orange leather fender washer?

Many thanks.

Think that 'slop' is bolt inside der. body, not between bolt and frame. No real fix, new der.

john segal
06-22-2015, 09:03 AM
That's the answer that I was afraid of (and expecting).
Thanks Peter.

Can I take the long cage from this der. and mount it on a 2007 Centaur rear der.?
It's essentially the same unit, yes?

Ditto the ti mounting bolt?

thirdgenbird
06-22-2015, 09:37 AM
Thanks Peter.

Can I take the long cage from this der. and mount it on a 2007 Centaur rear der.?

Can't swap record and centaur cages. Record and chorus are the same. Centaur and Venice are the same. I haven't tried mounting bolts, but I hear it's the same story as the cage.

john segal
06-22-2015, 10:13 AM
That's what I thought, until I found this on Velomine:

Centaur Rear derailleur with carbon face plate from 2007
This design was trickled down from Record to Chorus and then to Centaur in 2007
If this had a ti mounting bolt, it would be the same as the original Record 10 rear derailleur

http://www.velomine.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3175

wallymann
06-22-2015, 10:58 AM

Many thanks.

same thing here, circa 2003 record rear mech, ridden for a season in the pro-peloton...lots of shifts before it came to me. after another 5 seasons too much slop to index well, just moved to my trainer bike with friction-shifting -- lots more useful life left in that scenario!

thirdgenbird
06-22-2015, 11:38 AM
That's what I thought, until I found this on Velomine:

Centaur Rear derailleur with carbon face plate from 2007
This design was trickled down from Record to Chorus and then to Centaur in 2007
If this had a ti mounting bolt, it would be the same as the original Record 10 rear derailleur

http://www.velomine.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3175

The carbon face is the trickle down. Most centaur cages mount with a stud and c clip. Chorus and record bolt on. Some centaur derailleurs (the ones with a window in the b knuckle) bolt on but I think it is a different diameter bolt.

Look at the mounting area of that centaur rd again, it's quite a bit different than record 10. I've had both apart. They are quite different.

john segal
06-22-2015, 12:27 PM
Thank you for preventing me from mucking up not one, but two derailleurs!

thirdgenbird
06-22-2015, 12:34 PM
Thank you for preventing me from mucking up not one, but two derailleurs!

No problem. you are not alone. I've wanted to put a ti mounting bolt into an all alloy centaur derailleur but I was told it was a no go. I've also had the cages apart and their differences are quite apparent.

Dont toss aside that old record RD though, there are parts that are usable. If you don't want them, I do :) the barrel adjuster on a record RD is much better than on veloce and centaur. These do swap. I think the TI pulley bolts should swap too.

oldpotatoe
06-22-2015, 05:31 PM
Thanks Peter.

Hole in der for ti bolt and one in cage smaller than the one for steel bolt so..Nyet.

oldpotatoe
06-22-2015, 05:32 PM
No problem. you are not alone. I've wanted to put a ti mounting bolt into an all alloy centaur derailleur but I was told it was a no go. I've also had the cages apart and their differences are quite apparent.

Dont toss aside that old record RD though, there are parts that are usable. If you don't want them, I do :) the barrel adjuster on a record RD is much better than on veloce and centaur. These do swap. I think the TI pulley bolts should swap too.

Pulley bolts are steel.

thirdgenbird
06-22-2015, 05:39 PM
Pulley bolts are steel.

Pretty sure one of the record RDs I have has ti pulley bolts. Not stock? I'm second owner. The brakes came with one alloy adjuster and one steel. My chorus skewers also have an alloy nut on one and a steel on the other. Both are identical shape. I give up on the history of second hand parts.

I guess I'm just as guilty. My centaur RD has a record barrel adjuster, my c record cranks have 10spd rings and mounting bolts, my deltas have 95-2000 pads and my 8spd ergos click 9 times...