PDA

View Full Version : polar own zone?

ada@prorider.or
04-29-2006, 01:15 PM
polar has a function that called own zone
i was at a meeting from polar and they say its like a super test

no i have done many measurements but they way they explained it and how it fuctions it found this a bit nonsens
anybody experinance with this function?

PaulE
04-30-2006, 06:50 AM
but I don't really use it. I don't know how it can predict your max heart rate based on age, weight, height, gender, activity level and watching your resting heart rate for 3-5 minutes. I did it two years ago and it said my own zone was 49 and I did it again this morning and gave me the same answer. The age is based off your date of birth, so it knows I'm two years older. It also predicted my max heart rate at 173 two years ago and the same again today. I have seen my max heart rate as high as 183 a couple of times, although that's not a place I like to be! I more regularly see a max heart rate of 176 on hard climbs.

Headwinds
04-30-2006, 08:57 AM
And it is pretty accurate, actually. The reason I used it in the first place, was to compare the information with the results I got from an actual stress test done in a Human Performance Lab.

I think that for a device that costs a couple of hundred dollars the Polar is really darn good! I mean, I had close to the same results from the Polar as I had from the multi-thousand dollar machines at the HPL.

Besides, you do not have to pay the few hundred dollars that will cost you every time you want to do a stress test in the Lab. With the Polar, you can do this anytime you wish for a one time cost!

By the way, I have only used the top of the line "S" series Polar Monitors. I can't speak for the others...

ada@prorider.or
04-30-2006, 09:13 AM
but I don't really use it. I don't know how it can predict your max heart rate based on age, weight, height, gender, activity level and watching your resting heart rate for 3-5 minutes.

well they say its looks in miliseconds how long it takes to measure the next hart beat in the test
well i personaly can say that not good
becuase the heart rate ritme is depanding on lots of factors and does not only determine your stress level
let say yo have suddenly a dip in potasium the heart rate´s reacts but that not say anything about stress level
also evry human does have a range of hart beat they never do

meaby i am wrong but training is not only heart beat level
its about increasing blood volume and oxygen transport in that blood
at least that how i see it

Serpico
04-30-2006, 09:39 AM
lol, these threads are awesome

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/images/smilies/popcorn.gif