PDA

View Full Version : rear blinkie with built in camera

eddief
06-21-2015, 06:31 PM
Went riding with a friend today and he had one o these installed on the back of his bike. I was blown away by the quality of the vid he showed me when we got back to the house. Need jerseys that say, "don't get near me cuz you are being video taped."

http://www.rei.com/product/890483/cycliq-fly6-hd-camera-and-rear-bike-light?cm_mmc=ad_gdn&mr:trackingCode=6C90BAC3-46CA-E211-9C7C-BC305BF82162&mr:referralID=NA&gclid=COL04emBoMYCFQqIfgodFnUAmA

djg21
06-21-2015, 09:26 PM
I own one. I think it's a great. Thankfully, since owning it, I've not had any significant encounters. I did get buzzed by two wanna-be Hell's Angels on their Harleys, one of whom blasted his pipes when he passed. I looked at it on video (and listened to the audio), but just for curiosity's sake.

I have one tip after using the camera for a while: If you lay your bike down to change a tire, or if your bike falls over, or if you fail to properly snap the Fly6 into to mount and it bounces off on a crappy road (I did this), remember to turn off and then restart the camera. Otherwise, the crash protection system kicks in and the camera will record for an hour and then automatically turn off.

During daylight hours, I turn down the brightness of the flasher or turn it off completely (a full time circular LED remains on when the camera is on). This gives me substantially more battery time, and I've ridden 6 hrs with the camera recording. For rides around 2-3 hrs, I leave the light on full brightness.

I'm sold on the Fly6, and am very interested to see what the Fly12 front light/camera looks like when it is released. https://cycliq.com/product/fly12.

R3awak3n
06-21-2015, 09:28 PM
I just bought one last week, someone posted a PSA and they were going for $100 which was a decent deal in my book.

also its pretty cool that it knows when the bike is down so it keeps recording.

SlowMark
06-21-2015, 11:47 PM
Put a Fly6 on my bike last week. I had a major blow out when my rear hub seized. I looked for the video and it appears the jolt from the blow out turned the camera off. It was quite a jolt when the hub seized but I didn't think it should've turned the camera off. Any way no video of the incident.

weisan
06-21-2015, 11:51 PM
Any way no video of the incident.

Then it never happened. :D

Louis
06-21-2015, 11:51 PM
I had a major blow out when my rear hub seized.

Wow. That's the first time I've ever heard of a hub locking up like that. What hub and how old was it, and did you do any forensics to figure out why that happened?

thirdgenbird
06-22-2015, 12:36 AM
Put a Fly6 on my bike last week. I had a major blow out when my rear hub seized. I looked for the video and it appears the jolt from the blow out turned the camera off. It was quite a jolt when the hub seized but I didn't think it should've turned the camera off. Any way no video of the incident.

But it's supposed to record after the jolt from getting hit by a car?

(Question directed and manufacturer, not poster)

djg21
06-22-2015, 05:53 AM
I'd be surprised if the jolt turned off the camera. If the jolt set off the incident protection circuit, the camera would have turned off a while after the crash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tiretrax
06-22-2015, 10:26 AM
These got a lot of buzz when on kickstarter last year. Glad to see they've made it into production. Time to start making my Christmas list.

What is the maximum time anyone has recorded? I'm thinking for century rides and longer that take all day. What size card will I need for that?

Aaron O
06-22-2015, 10:33 AM
I'd love to see sample video...and ditto to the above. How much memory does it store? Does it loop the footage? What kind of battery life?

martl
06-22-2015, 10:38 AM
I'd love to see sample video...and ditto to the above. How much memory does it store? Does it loop the footage? What kind of battery life?

check here: https://cycliq.com/product/fly6

brockd15
06-22-2015, 12:22 PM
I've been thinking about one of these lately.

For you who have them, how's the light? I have a quad red on my seatpost but have also been planning to put something on my helmet for my commute.

djg21
06-22-2015, 12:23 PM

It comes with an 8gb SSD. It records over itself deleting oldest first. I put in a 32gb SSD, and it records multiple days of riding. Capacity is less of a concern than battery life. I haven't done a ride over 6 hrs using it.

The light is pretty decent, with an advertised output of 30 lumen. It's not as bright as my Vis 180, which supposedly has an output of 70 Lumen.

Aaron O
06-22-2015, 12:45 PM
It comes with an 8gb SSD. It records over itself deleting oldest first. I put in a 32gb SSD, and it records multiple days of riding. Capacity is less of a concern than battery life. I haven't done a ride over 6 hrs using it.

The light is pretty decent, with an advertised output of 30 lumen. It's not as bright as my Vis 180, which supposedly has an output of 70 Lumen.

I'd probably use it in conjunction with a vis 360 plus, so not worried about lumens. 32gb loop and at least 6 hours works for me!

eippo1
06-22-2015, 08:51 PM
Seems to work pretty well and the quality of the video is pretty good. I recorded my ride today for the first time. So the question is, ··· do I do with the video now? It is kinda fun at times since I have a dude behind me on the bike path while we were hauling arse since it was deserted today.