PDA

View Full Version : OT: A skill to brush up on (and a scare)

stephenmarklay
06-21-2015, 03:48 PM
Last night my wife woke me out of a deep sleep at around 9:30. I am early to bed early to rise and she is opposite.

As I turned to her I realized she was choking. She was gasping for air and it took a second to get my wits about me from my sleep. I said water? She said choking on a nut in a deep labored voice.

I quickly go behind her and started the heimlich. Now this is not something I have practiced but surprisingly last year I had to do it on a choking coworker too.

After about three tries and one for good measure she was breathing and coughing.

Both times without really knowing what I was doing I was able to help. Now I am going to brush up on the skill just to be safe.

Crazy but worth knowing.

Ken Robb
06-21-2015, 03:55 PM
I got a chunk of steak out of a guy who was purple and semi-conscious. The victim is often too embarrassed to seek help until his condition is pretty bad and obvious.

Seramount
06-21-2015, 05:45 PM
fwiw, I dated Dr. Heimlich's daughter a few years ago...

she told me there is a raging debate within the family as to whether the good doctor developed the 'Heimlich maneuver' or simply ripped off another person's research.

fogrider
06-21-2015, 07:24 PM
fwiw, I dated Dr. Heimlich's daughter a few years ago...

she told me there is a raging debate within the family as to whether the good doctor developed the 'Heimlich maneuver' or simply ripped off another person's research.

from what I hear, the good doc thinks the "Heimlich" is the cure all to life and should be applied on a regular basis.

Seramount
06-21-2015, 07:30 PM
Dr. Heimlich's son thinks he's a fraud...

http://medfraud.info/

rnhood
06-21-2015, 07:40 PM
I can't imagine anyone not wanting to take the standard Red Cross first responder courses. Heck, most companies even pay for it should an employee want to sign up. And its not expensive even if you pay yourself. These basis courses provide a wealth of information that can help a person in distress, and possibly even save their life.

BlueFly
06-21-2015, 07:52 PM
Agree w/ rnhood, take a first aid and cpr course! As a rescue diver, these are simple skills to keep current with and can make a huge difference for everyone!

CheshireCat
06-21-2015, 08:04 PM
since nobody has posted it yet:

http://www.redcross.org/ux/take-a-class

take some time out one weekend and get cpr certified.

the EMT who did all the budding young docs ACLS course told us a story

remote area, restaurant or something, someone collapses.

they formed a line, all doing chest compressions, and following instructions with the defibrillator. It was quite a crowd, switching out every couple minutes as one person got tired.

It was about an hour before the helicopter arrived.

the guy lived.

:) be a hero. take CPR. :cool:

toadbike
06-21-2015, 08:12 PM
Damn, I eat nuts all the time.