PDA

View Full Version : Possible to convert Campy 8 speed hub?

sam.g
06-21-2015, 12:26 PM
For the Campy experts, is it possible to convert a mid 90's Campy 8 speed Record hub to current 9-11 speed? If so what parts would I need?

I'd really like to convert an 8 speed Shamal, Vento or Atlanta aero wheel set to work with current 11 speed Campy components for a Vintage Merckx 7-eleven frame.

Thanks

Sam in Cincy

Jaq
06-21-2015, 04:14 PM
No. Not a Record hub. I think there's a way to convert an Athena hub. Old P knows more.

I had Record 8 speed hubs and thought about this. Couldn't be done.

thirdgenbird
06-21-2015, 04:33 PM
It can be done. You need the 9-11spd freehub that was made for the smaller axle diameter. I believe early 9spd record hubs and some veloce hubs work as donars.

I think campy even sold a spare part to convert their prebuilts. I seem to recall seeing one still inbox with a big price tag.

ShockTreatment
06-21-2015, 04:37 PM
Not a Campy expert, but I have converted both 1995 Shamal and 1996 Record from 8 speed to 10 speed using a 1997 Record freehub body and lockring. It works great. I don't think this will work on 1996 Shamal or Vento. Not sure if it will work with smaller than 12t cog either.

The biggest problem will be finding the freehub body.

R3awak3n
06-21-2015, 04:38 PM
Its definitely possible, I got it done with the help of a few awesome forum members. Like thirdgenbird mentioned you need a donor hub that is the same shape as the 8 speed hub. You may have to fabricate a spacer but I did not have to, I used a spacer that was already in the hub I bought as a donor. I am pretty sure my hub was a veloce (I still have it and can check for you and take pictures in case you want to get something similar).

Unfortunately they are becoming quite rare and more expensive. I think I paid $65 for a nos veloce hub. Check ebay, you might be able to get a used one for cheaper.

The wheels work perfectly though. I love the look of that era of record hubs and I didnt want just get rid of them

thirdgenbird
06-21-2015, 04:40 PM
You should be able to use an 11t cassette as long as you have the 26mm 11t locking.

jtakeda
06-21-2015, 07:10 PM
I was thinking about listing my pink label shamals for sale.

They have been converted to a 10 sp. free hub by yours truly.

Let me know if that's what you're looking for. Or were you going to convert your own?

oliver1850
06-21-2015, 11:51 PM
Several threads on this can be found by searching Mirage freehub. Here's one.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=113527&highlight=mirage+freehub

oldpotatoe
06-22-2015, 06:33 AM
For the Campy experts, is it possible to convert a mid 90's Campy 8 speed Record hub to current 9-11 speed? If so what parts would I need?

I'd really like to convert an 8 speed Shamal, Vento or Atlanta aero wheel set to work with current 11 speed Campy components for a Vintage Merckx 7-eleven frame.

Thanks

Sam in Cincy

Yes, what you need is a freehub body from a 1997/early 1998 Record or Chorus
hub that was made for 9s. Just before the aluminum axle came out. OR a freehub body AND axle from Athena, Daytona or Veloce..since the FH body axle is different. They are very scarce.

Jaq
06-22-2015, 12:18 PM
Eh, what do I know.

El Chaba
06-22-2015, 01:03 PM
Back to the original post....for some of the prebuilt wheels with conventional spokes, it can be done....If the wheel has HPW hubs, no....

Mark McM
06-22-2015, 02:39 PM
Back to the original post....for some of the prebuilt wheels with conventional spokes, it can be done....If the wheel has HPW hubs, no....

I've converted two Campy 8spd wheels with HPW hubs to 9/10/11spd. These hubs use the same internals, so they can be converted with the same parts as standard hubs.

oldpotatoe
06-22-2015, 05:19 PM
[QUOTE=El Chaba;1777237]Back to the original post....for some of the prebuilt wheels with conventional spokes, it can be done....If the wheel has HPW hubs, no....[/

For right above, 'some' 8s HPW hubs with a FH body from a 1997 hub has the cogset rub the hub body, sits too deep. You can use a 1997/8 FH body from a HPW hub that's 9s.

El Chaba
06-23-2015, 06:28 AM
Even if you get a conversion that allows the cogs to mount and spin without binding, the converted arrangement places the cogs closer to the driveside spokes. The problem then becomes interference with the derailleur and spokes. There is very little margin for error. It can sometimes be done, it's just a matter of determining your pucker point.

Mark McM
06-23-2015, 10:30 AM
Even if you get a conversion that allows the cogs to mount and spin without binding, the converted arrangement places the cogs closer to the driveside spokes. The problem then becomes interference with the derailleur and spokes. There is very little margin for error. It can sometimes be done, it's just a matter of determining your pucker point.

This can be mitigated through cassette size selection. The driveside spokes are angled inboard from the hub to the rim. Likewise as the cassette sprocket size increase, the derailleur cage is moved further from the hub, where there is more cage/spoke clearance. Maybe you can't use a an 11-21 cassette with the converted hub, but you should be able to use a 12-25 or larger.