PDA

View Full Version : OT: Has anybody published a book?

rugbysecondrow
06-21-2015, 07:49 AM
My grandmother wrote a book in the mid 1980's while she was dying from cancer. It is a book about world religions, with the purpose of introducing various religions to her grandchildren. She believed that faith and higher power is important, but just as import was her belief that people and their faiths should be respected. It seems a very timely and important message, so I want to share it.

I am interested in going the E-book route, but possible paper publishing as well.

I know there is the crowdfunding route, which I have done with the ZERO G products, but any additional advice would be very helpful.

I am interested in thoughts and ideas about how to do this. I am a neophyte to publishing.

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10620606_10153174834471164_1244700313391142536_n.j pg?oh=e6a2e09912dc63c92eea5faed000dc5f&oe=55F579A9

Thanks!

Paul

rwsaunders
06-21-2015, 07:51 AM
Check out velotel's posts.

Steve in SLO
06-21-2015, 07:58 AM
I can't help you from the publishing standpoint, but I would love to read it.
Just reading this one page makes me think your grandmother was a neat lady.
This would be a nice e-pub, since it could retain its original look of having been typed on a real typewriter as one person's message.

weisan
06-21-2015, 08:01 AM
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=ebooks%20free%20publishing

Johnny Alien
06-21-2015, 08:16 AM
Self publishing has brought a wave of mediocre books to the market and honestly most people most wade through them to find things that are worthwhile. Self publishing and releasing e-books will get your book out to a small number of people (mainly friends and family and anyone that will hear about it through word of mouth). If that works for you then going that route is a good idea. Taking the time to flesh out what you write, find and agent and shop it around will not only help you get your book out to way more people but it will likely help you have a better finished product in all aspects.

retrofit
06-21-2015, 12:16 PM
just read not taking submissions right now...

rugbysecondrow
06-21-2015, 12:53 PM
just read not taking submissions right now...

Sorry, I do t understand. Is that a book title or are you telling me you aren't taking submissions?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tiretrax
06-21-2015, 01:42 PM
I can give you some suggestions. Are you trying to distribute this to your family or the world?

bridgestone1
06-21-2015, 02:03 PM
My grandmother wrote a book in the mid 1980's while she was dying from cancer. It is a book about world religions, with the purpose of introducing various religions to her grandchildren. She believed that faith and higher power is important, but just as import was her belief that people and their faiths should be respected. It seems a very timely and important message, so I want to share it.

I am interested in going the E-book route, but possible paper publishing as well.

I know there is the crowdfunding route, which I have done with the ZERO G products, but any additional advice would be very helpful.

I am interested in thoughts and ideas about how to do this. I am a neophyte to publishing.

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10620606_10153174834471164_1244700313391142536_n.j pg?oh=e6a2e09912dc63c92eea5faed000dc5f&oe=55F579A9

Thanks!

Paul

You can self publish on Amazon. I've published 2 novels there - "Summer of '65" and "9/11/11". Amazon will instruct you on how to convert your raw Word format, page set-up, etc. You can even design your own cover. The drawback, if you want sales/readers, is in the marketing or lack thereof. Self published e-books generally don't have much of a chance. Authors that reach a sizable audience are generally those who can get an agent, and then have that agent sell your work to a "legitimate" publishing house, as opposed to self publishing concerns like I-universe, etc. That said, if you've got something to say, in my experience, it's worth doing.

overmyhead
06-21-2015, 02:55 PM
I self published a children's book last year through Createspace which is an Amazon company. It is a very user friendly service and I found the whole experience nearly pain free. The books are print on demand - you can order copies for yourself to distribute or they will print one for anyone who orders a book. The book is very easy to set up as available on Amazon. The real work is doing all the promotion yourself. There are loads of Internet sites out there that will let you promote your book for free or (some) for a fee. I utilized as many as I could as well as the social media sites. The book is out there and gets occasional sales spurts at Christmas and when a school or teacher stumbles upon it. It was a great learning experience for me. I'm working on a second book now which I plan to also self publish, then start seeking an agent with these experiences under my belt. If you just want to get it out there in print, this is a decent way to proceed.

retrofit
06-21-2015, 03:24 PM
Sorry, I do t understand. Is that a book title or are you telling me you aren't taking submissions?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry for the confusion. PM sent to clarify.

Repack Rider
06-22-2015, 05:12 PM
I wrote my book and shopped it myself. I got nowhere.

I found an agent who agreed to look at my work. He liked it. He sold it to a publisher who had already turned me down when I submitted it. Now he gets 15% of everything it makes. I hope he gets really rich.

I could not have duplicated the artwork, layout and printing job a major publisher provided for my work. If I had self published it would not be half what it turned out to be. Find an agent.

Book title on the sig line.

carpediemracing
06-22-2015, 08:05 PM
Check out Red Kite Prayer. Not only did he self-publish but he has the capacity to have a book or two to piggyback on his efforts. I'm sure if you put in a comment or something on one of his posts he'd get back to you.