PDA

View Full Version : Favorite all day ride food

Clydesdale
06-20-2015, 02:02 PM
Whether you carry it, stop for it, or have it in a support vehicle, what do you like to eat while you are in the saddle all day? Particularly interested in real food items vs. Power Bars and such but any answer is welcome. Thanks.

weisan
06-20-2015, 02:05 PM
"one dol-la Spicy McChicken + one small fries, please?"

I will get 2 in a row.

Just ask Louis.

ergott
06-20-2015, 02:06 PM
I started eating oatmeal raison cookies the last couple centuries. Not bad at all. Easy to eat while riding.

Louis
06-20-2015, 02:12 PM
I say variety, but keep it simple. After hours on the bike, with the prospect of more to come, it gets increasingly difficult for me to eat stuff with strong or complicated flavors.

jr59
06-20-2015, 02:27 PM
Fig Newtons, or strawberry newtons. I have used them for years.

In the winter, I will cut into 4s a PB&J, but it gets really messy in the heat.

nrs5000
06-20-2015, 02:32 PM
Bacon

sg8357
06-20-2015, 02:55 PM
Dried apricots and cashews.

8aaron8
06-20-2015, 03:01 PM
After a long ride I blend together a frozen banana, almond milk and lots of peanut butter:banana:

Likes2ridefar
06-20-2015, 03:20 PM
never found a real food i could fit in my pockets that would keep me going all day.

i prefer honey stinger waffles for long endurance rides or hikes. They are flat so you can bring a bunch in each pocket. I can carry enough for 24 hours I think but have only gone 12 or so hours on them alone with water.

thirdgenbird
06-20-2015, 03:24 PM
Oatmeal raisin cookies and fig newtons are some of my favorites as well.

OtayBW
06-20-2015, 03:27 PM
For centuries and such, I will often stop ~mid-way and grab a small, light sandwich. Rest of the way - before and after - it's Honey Stinger Waffles, or Fig Neutrons, and often Clif Bloks (with caffeine, thank-you). Maybe a Tasteycake pie at a store stop toward the end if I'm dragging, or maybe a bag of Utz potato chips (~650 mg K).

Tony T
06-20-2015, 03:27 PM
Honey Stinger Waffles:
http://www.honeystinger.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/small_image/170x193/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/c/a/caramel_waffle_single.jpghttp://www.honeystinger.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/small_image/170x193/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/c/h/chocolate_packet.jpg

cinema
06-20-2015, 03:28 PM
haribo raspberries, sour sgetti, et al

salted peanuts

false_Aest
06-20-2015, 03:57 PM
pork chop or turkey leg

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/ahwatukee.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/0/24/02408e66-9cf7-523d-bb48-b640976fcbeb/511983bc08b46.preview-300.jpg

pgrizzwald
06-20-2015, 04:01 PM
Haribo Gold Bears. All Day. Erry day.

duck
06-20-2015, 04:02 PM
payday + coke

Cicli
06-20-2015, 04:15 PM
Snickers, Coke or fig newtons and Coke.

Dead Man
06-20-2015, 04:24 PM
Honey roasted peanuts are my new favorite. I like to bring dried apricots if it's gonna be a long and/or hot day, for potassium. I also like Nuun AllDay tabs, for lower sodium/higher potassium than normal Nuun - which is LOADED with sodium, W T F! Anybody looked at thatt crap? 360mg of sodium per tab, and dudes will suck on that crap for 5-6 hours, bottle after bottle... makes my BP rise just thinking about it.

I do have a problem with cramping, though - so if it's gonna be hawt as fawk, I'll bring ShotBloc "Margarita" flavor, with twice the sodium, and eat them as needed, as I sweat my ass off.

I also like Abundant Apricot fruit leather - wish you could buy just that flavor alone. It's not actually my favorite tasting flavor, but it's apricot/natural potassium and they're flat and work really well with jersey pockets. Highly recommend.

I don't usually bring "real" food. If I need to eat a sandwich or something, I'll just grab one somewhere. Even really long rides out into the deep woods of Columbia County, there's SOMEPLACE to buy food... I just can't see riding around with a f'ing egg salad sandwich just chillin' in my jersey pocket

I'm telling you, though.... honey roasted peanuts - everything you want, nothing you don't, on the bike. Love it.

thirdgenbird
06-20-2015, 04:24 PM
Can't forget coke. Nothing tastes better on a hot day.

VT Skier
06-20-2015, 04:26 PM
PBB&J (or ABB&J), and some Snickers w/Almonds.

Among many, many other things. I also usually stop to buy a cold Coke or Pepsi product.

Dead Man
06-20-2015, 04:27 PM
Can't forget coke. Nothing tastes better on a hot day.

Hmm.. Yea, coke is great on the bike, but I can't say it "tastes" great... usually just makes my tongue/throat numb.

RobJ
06-20-2015, 04:28 PM
In addition to the standard fare of gels and Clif Bars, two of my favorites are the Skratch Labs Rice Cakes recipe (also the one with egg added) and Graham Crackers with Peanut Butter.

Whatever you whip up at home for the rides, get the following stuff to wrap it in. Works great. You can find it a Wegman's or similar and can order from Amazon.

http://www.reynoldskitchens.com/products/pan-lining-paper/

OtayBW
06-20-2015, 04:33 PM
I'm a little surprised at all the 'coke'. As a 'bail out' super high-glycemic emergency-rescue-get-back-to-the-barn kind of thing, it works for me on occasion, but as a favorite all day ride food.....nope, I dun't see it! :eek:

Ralph
06-20-2015, 04:40 PM
I mostly ride on a weak mixture of Gatorade and Fig Bars. If it's real hot, and I've sweated a ton, and I'm tired, toward the end of a ride I will have a coke, a Snickers bar, and something with salt....pretzels or potato chips.

From above....I'm going to try some oatmeal raisin cookies. If a sag stop has some PB&J sandwiches, I'll eat that also.

In the hot humid weather we ride in around here in summer, it's kind of dangerous to drink too much straight water....hour after hour.

biker72
06-20-2015, 04:51 PM
Power Bars and Fig Newtons.

Seramount
06-20-2015, 05:34 PM
power bars, coke...? blech.

I'll take a turkey bacon club sammich, a good pale ale, and some Haagen-Dazs coffee ice cream.

weisan
06-20-2015, 05:36 PM
power bars, coke...? blech.

I'll take a turkey bacon club sammich, a good pale ale, and some Haagen-Dazs coffee ice cream.

sera-pal, i have a feelin' we gonna get along just fine....wonder why we haven't got connected yet esp. since we live in the same hood.

CMiller
06-20-2015, 05:38 PM
Since people are recommending coke, I figure I'll throw in another liquid - Iced Coffee. Black, strong, lots of ice. Love it before a ride, a quick break, or after.

Seramount
06-20-2015, 05:50 PM
sera-pal, i have a feelin' we gonna get along just fine....wonder why we haven't got connected yet esp. since we live in the same hood.

hit Shoal Creek / Great Northern any day of the week...look for a gold Ti Paramount with a white fork.

rugbysecondrow
06-20-2015, 06:19 PM
Apples and bananas. No trash, hit the spot, win-win.

A tomato and mayonnaise sandwich tastes pretty damn good at the end of the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vqdriver
06-20-2015, 06:23 PM
Too much sweets in the name of quick energy. After a few hours it gets blah and I'm jonesing for salty and substantial. A quick bacon cheese sandwich is fantastic and easy. Think one slice of bread wrapped around the insides.

Yoshirider turned me onto musubi. Rice and spam is oh so freakin good.

Exonerv
06-20-2015, 06:40 PM
At least 45 minutes before a longer ride...
A cinnamon raisin bagel with peanut butter/banana/honey and I'm good for close to 3 hours.

On the bike it's hard to beat the convenience of fig newtons & a banana.

And here lately, Cheerwine has been hitting the spot...about the only time I ever have a soft drink. It's a fairly local concoction, or used to be, so if you have to ask...but, no alcohol.

SoCalSteve
06-20-2015, 06:48 PM
Pre ride...sourdough toast with almond butter and jelly, almond milk

During...fig newtons and Nuun drink

Post ride...apple, sharp cheddar cheese and almonds and more Nuun drink

weisan
06-20-2015, 06:57 PM
hit Shoal Creek / Great Northern any day of the week...look for a gold Ti Paramount with a white fork.

Er....you mean, even when it's pouring outside like now? :P

Shoal creek/Lamar - flash flood alert!!!

Tony T
06-20-2015, 07:39 PM
At least 45 minutes before a longer ride...
A cinnamon raisin bagel with peanut butter/banana/honey and I'm good for close to 3 hours.

3 hours? You'll burn those quick carbs in an hour
(I always have a bagel before I ride)

Exonerv
06-20-2015, 07:52 PM
But the peanut butter burns slow....

BobbyJones
06-20-2015, 08:24 PM
If by "all-day" you mean 7+ hours I just eat "real food" like i regularly would on a normal day- just smaller portions.

I've been having a lot of luck lately with a banana/apple an hour around the start of hours 2 and 3. I'll stop on the road for lunch around hour 4 and try and grab a deli sandwich / hero, eat half and have the remaining cut in two and individually wrapped tightly for the rest of the ride. (tip: if you do a sandwich have 'em toast the bread: holds up better in a jersey pocket).

I never paid much attention to nutrition, gorging myself at stops then going too long without eating again. The way I felt during the day reflected that strategy.

Then TiDesigns mentioned something in a post about getting his riders used to eating on the bike. I took that to heart and did some poking around to see what changes I could make.

Rides are much more enjoyable and recovery is a lot faster now.

Dirtdiggler
06-20-2015, 08:46 PM
Chipotle beef jerky and a panera cinnamon bagel

regularguy412
06-20-2015, 08:49 PM
For rides over 50 miles, especially in the heat, I prefer seedless grapes. They don't melt in your jersey pocket or get messy or soggy from sweat or rain, don't need to be 'opened' (like a wrapper), are easily portioned out while moving, are immediately refreshing to your mouth, taste great and they can be frozen or chilled overnight which makes them taste even better. I usually devote one whole jersey pocket to fill with nothing but the grapes. It's also good for a laugh to tell folks you're eating marbles. :) I'll also usually store some GU packs in the bottom of my shorts legs for a different taste. I also prefer to take small, 'snack-size' zip lock baggies with my own powdered home brew energy drink with each one having the equivalent amount to replace one water bottle by adding just water at a rest stop or quick mart.

Mike in AR:beer:

GRAVELBIKE
06-20-2015, 11:23 PM
payday + coke

+1 on this. Works wonders.

benito
06-21-2015, 03:11 AM
my ideal lunch for spending all day in the saddle is a veggie burrito with avocado, cilantro, onions, salsa.

no hippie crap, no BS wraps: real MF arroz y frijoles.

no meat means easier digestion. avocado just makes better.

numbskull
06-21-2015, 04:36 AM
Rehydration is important. I use one of these (but with a Rapha logo). Hanging a few donuts on the umbilical chord helps with pacing as well.

witcombusa
06-21-2015, 05:50 AM
this

Johnnyg
06-21-2015, 08:55 AM
Peeps ;-)

sand fungus
06-21-2015, 10:32 AM
I prefer Kind coconut almond bars or honey stinger waffles and typically only drink water until lunch ~4 hours. If it is going to be real hot I will take some GU gels and after 3 hours I will 1 or 2 pieces every 15-20 minutes and I will also bring along Nun to mix in every other bottle. I usually stop for lunch after about 4 hours to have a sandwich or soup but nothing too heavy. After that I will be back to drinking water but will not start on bars or gel for at least an hour. Late in the ride when I stop I will have one of the small Starbucks doubleshots (which is sugar milk and espresso) really gives me a good kick:) if it is a really long day in the saddle I might have more than one doubleshot.

Birddog
06-21-2015, 11:56 AM
If in NM or W Texas, it's hard to beat an Allsups Chimichanga. Allsups is an otherwise barely OK convenience store chain that usually has restrooms in need of attention and in general they are a little disorderly, but their Chimis are legendary. A Chimi and a Coke is hard to top.
http://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=371347&d=1343965878

If you are near Mora (actually Cleveland NM), then stop in at Theresa Tamales for a trio. Also out by Beecave near Austin their is Rosa's Tamales, both hard to beat. They'll put a little fire in your quads to get you through the day.

Dead Man
06-21-2015, 02:08 PM
I personally stay away from deep fried carby stuff, as it tends to give me heartburn on a ride. I seem to have an iron stomach otherwise though... I've been on long training rides where we were rolling in new territory and couldn't find anything better than crappy bodega cheese-like sauce "nachos" or candy, and am always amazed that I tolerate it. Off the bike, I'm actually pretty sensitive to junk food.

montag
06-21-2015, 03:35 PM
A few months ago I made some of these (http://www.girlcooksworld.com/2011/06/sesame-coasted-majoun-healthy-moroccan-raisin-nut-candies.html) with coconut oil instead of butter (cannabis free of course...) and really enjoyed them as a riding/running/hiking food.

These videos also came to mind...

https://vimeo.com/94347603

https://vimeo.com/97870255

Clydesdale
06-22-2015, 09:51 AM
Good stuff... I'm putting fig newtons and oatmeal cookies on my shopping list.

azrider
06-22-2015, 10:02 AM
Sub three hour rides:

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/aplus/detail-page/c26-B0089PYS74-1-l.jpg

3hr+ rides:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81XpcFquD%2BL._SX522_.jpg

pinoymamba
06-22-2015, 10:21 AM
I make pb&j for every ride.

Roadguy
06-22-2015, 10:32 AM
Pop tarts and rice crispy treats.

Peter P.
06-22-2015, 03:35 PM
I eat a variety of convenience store food; much of it works. I prefer food that digests slowly, usually something with meat or protein.

What I HAVE gotten into are some of the Feed Zone Portables (http://feedzonecookbook.com/portables/) recipes and I think they're fun and they WORK! It's great that you can experiment, and customize them to suit your tastes. You merely bake a pan of them, wrap, and leave in the freezer.

The key is to GET THAT RICE TO STICK! Get the sushi rice as recommended, add enough water, and don't overcook; then it will hold together just fine.

My current rice cake favorite includes rice, eggs, mushrooms, bacon, and cheese. It helps to add sugar and salt for flavor and to satisfy on-the-road cravings.

cv1966
06-22-2015, 06:55 PM
I make pb&j for every ride.

Yes. Or PB with honey. Good for 3-4 hrs

Exonerv
06-22-2015, 06:57 PM
Yes. Or PB with honey. Good for 3-4 hrs
+1. It's like magic.

Unk
06-22-2015, 07:56 PM
Clif Kidz bars. Good variety. Nothing that's not food-like. Similar to regular Clif bars, but I find them easier to eat/chew/swallow/digest.

Just noticed azrider picked 'em too. Right on!

Drmojo
06-22-2015, 08:42 PM
I am very happy no one mentioed Hammer products
I esecially hate their kits
Whenever I see someone with a Hammer jersey I ask them " do they pay you to wear that?"🗿🗿🗿🗿🎱🎱🎱🎱🎣🎣🎣🎣🍭🍭🍭🍭

kasak
06-22-2015, 09:53 PM
I am very happy no one mentioed Hammer products
I esecially hate their kits
Whenever I see someone with a Hammer jersey I ask them " do they pay you to wear that?"🗿🗿🗿🗿🎱🎱🎱🎱🎣🎣🎣🎣🍭🍭🍭🍭

Perhaps!If my memory is correct, Hammer was know to use some of the nicer voler kit and just had the their own logo added on in bulk. They also tended to sell for less than the cost of the voler stuff they were made from. Not sure if they where actually taking a loss on it but Hammer was essentially paying people to wear their stuff. Probably a decent bang for the advertising buck all things consider.

As for my prefered food - PB & :banana: on a toasted hamburger bun. (Don't give me that look / it is what you do when you are out of sliced bread) I found it stood up to the heat better so I kept doing it. Fig newtons are pretty good too.

azrider
06-22-2015, 10:57 PM
Clif Kidz bars. Good variety. Nothing that's not food-like. Similar to regular Clif bars, but I find them easier to eat/chew/swallow/digest.

Just noticed azrider picked 'em too. Right on!

Fo show! In our house the oatmeal cookie flavor disappears fairly quickly ;)

CheshireCat
06-22-2015, 10:58 PM
:banana:

+ It's It Ice cream sangwhiches.

Uncle Jam's Army
06-22-2015, 11:14 PM
It really depends on your fitness. The fitter you get, the less you need. I'm not saying that you could do a century on only one gel and a bunch of water, but you don't need as much when you are fit.

I've tried everything and it depends on the ride, length, terrain, season. I know it says all day, but are we talking a bunch of climbing. You have to simply try out a bunch of stuff and figure it out for yourself.

As for me, I don't have a favorite food. I usually carry two HEED gels and one Bonk Breaker in my middle jersey pocket. Rarely do I eat all of this. But my longest rides are only about 60 miles right now (hard rides), though I have done several centuries in the recent past. I notice the more out of shape I am, the more calorie intake I require, as the rides invariably take so much longer.

I have eaten turkey sandwiches that I bought at designated rest stops, and they work well. I have also eaten PB&J sandwiches and like them, too. Yes, there is something to be said for eating regular food.

I think more than anything you have to have your sodium and electrolytes right, otherwise you start cramping and everything goes to hell from there. For this I use Hammer Electrolytes and Sport Legs, the latter works really well to avoid cramping. I also use an electrolyte drink during the warm months only. About to start using Joachim's home-blend mix and looking forward to it as it's getting hotter than hell out here in the West now.

CheshireCat
06-23-2015, 02:05 AM
there is some growing evidence that, for those race ending type cramps,

an influx of salt doesn't really help

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21148567

I think it may help a bit, but there was always something funny to me about the notion that a quick intake of fluid could actually be absorbed and change serum electrolyte balance quickly short of an intravenous influx.

now...if you had an IV bag that might be something interesting to try.

I think the triplets of belleville had a scene which depicted something like that experiment...
https://pukingrainbows.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/bellevillbed.jpg

p nut
08-17-2015, 03:02 PM
For all-day rides, I can't do gels, bars, etc. Give me a 1/4 pounder (maybe 2), some salty fries, and an ice cold Coke. Extra large fries, so I can carry it with me and eat later in the ride. Never has 3 hr old French fries tastes so good than 90 miles into a ride.

velotel
08-17-2015, 04:10 PM
For long rides, a sandwich with bread made from an ancient grain (don't know the name in english) that is either gluten-free or damned near, and whole almond butter. Plus I'll carry a couple of pain chocolats and I always have a stash of dried figs, dates, and apricots. For liquid, water, two large bottles that I refill at fountains in villages along the way. I'll probably drink 3 L in a long ride with lots of climbing. Actually all my rides entail lots of climbing so maybe I should say 3 L in a 5 hour or so ride. I've also been known in cold weather to bring along a small thermos of strong espresso laced with Baileys but I think I probably leave that in the car to drink at the end more often than carrying it along. Never carried any sports foods or drinks, I suspect it's been nigh on 30 years since I tasted, and didn't like, a power bar. Never tried anything else since. I definitely don't do salt and have never had cramps during a ride. I also like to have a bottle of natural bubbling water in the car for the end also. Supposedly lots of minerals in the water. And when I get home, a beer or a glass or two of natural red wine, i.e. no sulphides in the wine. That seems to work for me.

Jgrooms
08-17-2015, 04:20 PM
I enjoy the 'real food' moniker. Eat what works, but the quick stop gas station food is no more 'real food' than the PB, gels or Cliff's of the world.

zoose
08-17-2015, 04:39 PM
I agree with everyone who says real food. Gels and such are for racing/fast group rides where I need quick energy. Sustained rides get bananas, homemade bike foods, etc.

Tickdoc
08-17-2015, 06:41 PM
Waiting to see inccrustables. Did I miss them? I'm not a huge peanut butter n jelly fan, but I hear they are great on hot days....put em in your pocket frozen and eat them when they thaw.

For me it's payday and some scratch /water or nature valley salty peanut bars.

Lots of pickle juice if it's available (mainly just group rides)

Favorite Is Kate's bars, but they are pricey and hard to find around here.

Best is to make my own:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/Handgod/7B6E6A15-3475-46B8-8A01-0360B0DEF560-11994-0000173A51AD5AFE_zps43cb1420.jpg

dpk501
08-17-2015, 11:38 PM
a combination of the following depending on the ride length and calorie needs:

Nutella and pretzel mini sandwich
banana
cream cheese ham and strawberry jam mini sandwich
or my latest fave spam "sushi" roll, like musubi but without egg.

No gels cause the kill my stomach. occasional bonk breaker or honey stinger waffle.