PDA

View Full Version : New Rear DR Question

warren128
06-20-2015, 01:21 AM
I decided to rebuild my 1987 Raleigh 531C "Race" frameset with a modern drivetrain. The bike was built up with vintage Campy SR and C-Record parts. I just finished removing everything and I'm almost done cleaning up the frame. My daily ride is a 1996 Litespeed Classic that I put together a couple of years ago with a modern 10 speed drivetrain, and I got tired of my Raleigh being a garage queen, so I"m building it to be a regular rider alongside my Litespeed. :) I spent some time hunting down the parts, mostly Centaur Red/Black components to go with the Red/Black frame color.

I'm about ready to start assembly with the new parts, and I'll have some questions along the way for you guys. :)

Here are some questions about the rear dr for starters: I acquired a new Campagnolo Centaur rear dr. Looking it over, I see that the springs have a light coating of grease from the factory, but I don't see any signs of lubricant or grease at the pivot points. Also, the cage pulleys look and feel bone dry. Is this normal? Should I install it as-is? Or should I apply a bit of oil before I install it? Are the pulleys meant to be run clean and apparently oil free? Are they greased internally already?

TIA,

Warren

warren128
06-20-2015, 02:03 AM
Here's a photo of the frame/fork as of tonight.

http://www.fototime.com/EF4D8E02B1EB9E7/medium800.jpg

oldpotatoe
06-20-2015, 06:09 AM
I decided to rebuild my 1987 Raleigh 531C "Race" frameset with a modern drivetrain. The bike was built up with vintage Campy SR and C-Record parts. I just finished removing everything and I'm almost done cleaning up the frame. My daily ride is a 1996 Litespeed Classic that I put together a couple of years ago with a modern 10 speed drivetrain, and I got tired of my Raleigh being a garage queen, so I"m building it to be a regular rider alongside my Litespeed. :) I spent some time hunting down the parts, mostly Centaur Red/Black components to go with the Red/Black frame color.

I'm about ready to start assembly with the new parts, and I'll have some questions along the way for you guys. :)

Here are some questions about the rear dr for starters: I acquired a new Campagnolo Centaur rear dr. Looking it over, I see that the springs have a light coating of grease from the factory, but I don't see any signs of lubricant or grease at the pivot points. Also, the cage pulleys look and feel bone dry. Is this normal? Should I install it as-is? Or should I apply a bit of oil before I install it? Are the pulleys meant to be run clean and apparently oil free? Are they greased internally already?

TIA,

Warren

Yes(how they come) and No(don't leave as-is), take the pulleys off, covers off, insert out, grease in there and reassemble.

ultraman6970
06-20-2015, 07:07 AM
As he said... put grease as you always do, a new 10 speed drivetrain is pretty much the same than an old one, besides the brifters it is the same thing. The only extra i would do is to put teflon tape in the cups and a lot of grease in the BB, but probably you do that from the start.

Post pictures when you are done.

AngryScientist
06-20-2015, 07:29 AM
raleigh looks really nice, should be a great rider coupled with modern parts. good project!

grease and oil are a double edged sword. generally speaking, you want as little exposed grease/oil as you can get. on the RD springs for example, grease back there, once exposed to the open road will attract road grit and grime to stick to them like glue and become an abrasive. you want grease in the inside, un-exposed areas, but lightly lube anything that hangs out in the breeze, so to speak.

thirdgenbird
06-20-2015, 09:25 AM
Not a big fan of the black/red centaur group, but it could look good here. If you want a nice budget wheelset that fits the theme, look to fulcrum. Campy made, durable and most appear to have red nipples.

8aaron8
06-20-2015, 10:49 AM
I have always loved those Raleigh frames, looking forward to seeing this completed.

guyintense
06-20-2015, 12:00 PM
Yes(how they come) and No(don't leave as-is), take the pulleys off, covers off, insert out, grease in there and reassemble.

You're saying you should disassemble new Campy derailleurs and lube?
They don't come ready to run?

oldpotatoe
06-20-2015, 12:11 PM

They come really dry. I take 'em apart and grease rather than do it later when they start to squeak. What I do.

tiretrax
06-20-2015, 12:27 PM
Be sure to post a picture when it's assembled.

Hindmost
06-20-2015, 05:01 PM
They come really dry. I take 'em apart and grease rather than do it later when they start to squeak. What I do.

This surprised me too. Once I took them apart and saw it, I hadda reassemble with grease.

warren128
06-20-2015, 05:49 PM

Thanks for the info. On my previous build, I acquired a NOS Chorus 10 spd rear DR, and that one seemed to come with more lube than the current new one. But it's been about 1500 miles or so since I installed it, and now it's starting to squeak a little from the pulleys. I oil it lightly from the outside, and it will go for about 50 miles or so before it starts to squeak again. When I get the Raleigh running, I'll do a thorough dismantle and lube on the Litespeed including taking the pulleys off and greasing inside. :)

warren128
06-20-2015, 05:52 PM
As he said... put grease as you always do, a new 10 speed drivetrain is pretty much the same than an old one, besides the brifters it is the same thing. The only extra i would do is to put teflon tape in the cups and a lot of grease in the BB, but probably you do that from the start.

Post pictures when you are done.

I decided to go with a silver Centaur CT crankset, 50/34, my first compact crankset. I also wanted to try Ultra Torque instead of the Black Red Group's Power Torque set. I found a lightly used set that I'll be trying. My LS has a triple (52/42/30), and it will be very interesting to compare the two bikes.

I'll be sure to post pictures when done. :)

warren128
06-20-2015, 05:55 PM
Not a big fan of the black/red centaur group, but it could look good here. If you want a nice budget wheelset that fits the theme, look to fulcrum. Campy made, durable and most appear to have red nipples.

I was considering a Fulcrum wheelset, but I happened to come upon a great local deal off of Craigslist on a NOS Campy Khamsin in Black/Red trim. Got lucky there.

Since my Litespeed build was with a silver (traditional looking) drivetrain, I decided to go the other way with the Raleigh, and I'm sure traditionalists will be outraged, but I'm building it for my own enjoyment. :)

warren128
06-20-2015, 05:57 PM

That surprised me too. So what do LBS do when they get these in, take them apart and grease them first? How many would actually do that? :)

I'm going to grease mine first. I'm glad I asked here before installing it, saved me a lot of trouble. :)

thirdgenbird
06-20-2015, 06:16 PM
I was considering a Fulcrum wheelset, but I happened to come upon a great local deal off of Craigslist on a NOS Campy Khamsin in Black/Red trim. Got lucky there.

Since my Litespeed build was with a silver (traditional looking) drivetrain, I decided to go the other way with the Raleigh, and I'm sure traditionalists will be outraged, but I'm building it for my own enjoyment. :)

Khamsin wheels will suit the build nicely.

I won't be outraged. My 96 tommasini is traditional. My early 80s colnago, not so much. I really enjoy it.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk177/thirdgenbird/Mexico/D434ACA8-F179-45AD-BD98-BEA1DB12C6B1-2946-000003B5DBCC2B72_zpsc5fe024c.jpg

warren128
06-20-2015, 06:22 PM
The stem that I got may freak some people out. :)

I'm concerned that it may be too much, but I won't know until I have it all together. LOL :) :eek:

It took some searching to find it, but I found a company in Switzerland who makes these in the size/length that I need. (Fabrik Cycles)

http://www.fototime.com/8C376CB61F62038/medium800.jpg

thirdgenbird
06-20-2015, 06:27 PM
Wow, that sucker is either going to be way too much or awesome. Probably no middle ground. Looking forward to this.

oldpotatoe
06-21-2015, 06:15 AM
That surprised me too. So what do LBS do when they get these in, take them apart and grease them first? How many would actually do that? :)

I'm going to grease mine first. I'm glad I asked here before installing it, saved me a lot of trouble. :)

I did that for pro builds all the time. With shimano as well. I've seen a lot of ceramic center pulley desolve into dust, w/o grease in there. Also grease around brake block hardware, so they can be toed. Grease around BB/bearings, cups. Ever see a build video from Campagnolo? They assemble dry like the desert. Even open hubs and altho they have their white grease in there, I add more.