PDA

View Full Version : Carbon seat rails. Are they strong?

stephenmarklay
06-19-2015, 05:15 PM
I am getting an new Fizik Arione and want to get the strongest seat rails. I have bent rails. I think I am a little lopsided and to make it worse it will be set far back for more setback.

So are carbon rails generally strong or are typical chromo (kium in this case) stronger?

shovelhd
06-19-2015, 06:01 PM
Carbon rails are strong, but they will break, not bend. The benefit is weight reduction and improved ride. I don't know about Fizik but when I broke my Specialized saddle in a race crash, I got the replacement at cost.

Blown Reek
06-19-2015, 06:02 PM
If you run a seatpost with more setback, you'll be more in the center of the rails, which should allay your troubled soul. But to answer your question- carbon rails are strong enough. Just make sure your seatpost clamping assembly accepts non-round rails.

shovelhd
06-19-2015, 06:04 PM
Very good point. Some seatposts do not work with carbon rails.

joosttx
06-19-2015, 06:29 PM
I have had my carbon railed airone 4ever. Most of the riding would be considered MTB. No problems

rnhood
06-19-2015, 06:31 PM
I believe Specialized "Team" saddles used solid Ti rails in lieu of the slightly lighter weight hollow rails. Not sure if they still do this but, it was because they were bending and/or breaking on the pro bikes. So you may want to consider a solid Ti rail version if available. I don't have experience with carbon rails so can't comment on this.

stephenmarklay
06-19-2015, 06:48 PM
Thanks everyone. They sound like they are worth a try.

My new bike is 73.25 STA and I like getting behind the pedals. My seatpost is a 25mm setback but I will still have the seat pushed back.

Thanks on the septets compatibility. Mine swings both ways :)

Seramount
06-19-2015, 07:12 PM
approx 10K miles on my SLR carbon rail saddle...

my 157 lbs hasn't broken it yet.

Raffy
06-19-2015, 07:46 PM
Around 10k miles on my Arione 00, with no issues.

stephenmarklay
06-19-2015, 09:21 PM
Around 10k miles on my Arione 00, with no issues.

That is the one I am looking at. It's costly but promises comfort over the standard arione.

beeatnik
06-19-2015, 09:28 PM
They're ok until you buy a seatpost where they dont fit or end up creaking.

Oh, and they also make you neurotic. Whenever I adjust my saddle, even if I'm using a torque wrench, I wonder if I'm clamping down too hard. Looking at the indentations just makes me worry more.

stephenmarklay
06-19-2015, 10:59 PM

Oh, and they also make you neurotic. Whenever I adjust my saddle, even if I'm using a torque wrench, I wonder if I'm clamping down too hard. Looking at the indentations just makes me worry more.

Yeah I get that.

Peter P.
06-20-2015, 01:39 AM
I believe Specialized "Team" saddles used solid Ti rails in lieu of the slightly lighter weight hollow rails. Not sure if they still do this but, it was because they were bending and/or breaking on the pro bikes. So you may want to consider a solid Ti rail version if available. I don't have experience with carbon rails so can't comment on this.

At 135lbs., I broke the hollow Ti rails on my Specialized Rival saddle. It's the only saddle I ever broke the rails on, and the only titanium railed saddle I've ever owned. Makes me wonder...

soulspinner
06-20-2015, 05:38 AM
Fizik Aliante with carbon rails. Somewhere around 20000 miles all the way back on the rails the entire time. Im going to have it recovered this winter and continue with it.

shovelhd
06-20-2015, 05:42 AM

That seems like you have the wrong seat post. Neither should happen.

mcteague
06-20-2015, 05:47 AM
My Fizik Aliante has carbon rails and I have had zero issues. I generally would not go carbon in this area but it was on sale and cost about the same as the Ti version they had at the time.

Many years ago I got Turbo with alum rails and they snapped within the 2nd year.

Tim

stephenmarklay
06-20-2015, 06:35 AM
Fizik Aliante with carbon rails. Somewhere around 20000 miles all the way back on the rails the entire time. Im going to have it recovered this winter and continue with it.

Well that settles it :)

saab2000
06-20-2015, 06:42 AM
I have been asking myself this exact question of late. What is in fact a good quality, compatible seatpost? I'd like to use a PMP but I'm uncertain as to the compatability.

shovelhd
06-20-2015, 06:53 AM
The 3T I used to have was not. I have a Specialized now, but it's heavy.

Exonerv
06-20-2015, 09:02 AM
I have been asking myself this exact question of late. What is in fact a good quality, compatible seatpost? I'd like to use a PMP but I'm uncertain as to the compatability.
Fizik Cyrano

Lionel
06-20-2015, 09:39 AM

PMP work with fizzy carbon rails. It is a very tight fit but it works.

bicycletricycle
06-20-2015, 09:43 AM
I used to warranty a lot of carbon railed saddles and very few metal railed saddles, mostly fizik and some smp because that is what we carried. Things have improved some since then but I still would rather have bent rails and ride home than snapped rails and standing the rest of the way.

If your a lighter rider with a seatpost that holds the rails nicely in the middle without digging into them than I think they are a good option for someone who really needs to save those extra grams.

I am a fat rider with a seat always all the way to the back riding lugged bikes with brooks saddles so I can't be bothered.
:)

I do like the carbon railed fizik saddles, the arione and aliante are comfy and the beefy rails they use seem to hold up well.

I would like to try a carbon railed volta.

soulspinner
06-20-2015, 10:03 AM
Well that settles it :)

Its true! Tough on wheels though............:bike: