PDA

View Full Version : Good Route from Manhattan to Skyline Drive?

ik2280
06-19-2015, 11:03 AM
A teammate and I want to mix it up a bit on Saturday for our ride out of NYC. Anyone know of a good route from Manhattan to Skyline Drive in NJ? And then maybe a good way to loop around from Skyline to Tiorati Brook or Gate Hill Road or Perkins?

Thanks!

PaulE
06-19-2015, 11:22 AM
but take 9W North to Closter Dock Road. Closter Dock Road is the start of Bergen County Route 502. If you know local roads then go down Hillside Ave before Closter Dock into Cresskill and make your way up Closter and the bottom of Closter Dock Road. Skyline isn't far from the other end of 502. You want to avoid the piece of 502 called Old Hook Road that runs from Closter through Harrington Park and Emerson to Westwood. Take Schraalenburg Rd to Harriot Ave which becomes River Vale Rd and then take a left onto Westwood Ave in River Vale and when you get to Westwood take Main St and cross Kinderkamack onto Washington which is where you'll pick up 502 again. Then take it to the end which is in Franklin Lakes/Oakland and you're close to Skyline Drive. Climb over Skyline, descend the other side and there are roads that will take you to Route 17 in Sloatsburg. Take that North for a very short distance and get on backroads at the Sloatsburg Park N Ride that will take you to Seven Lakes Drive and all the way to Tiorati Circle. Keep going and climb Perkins Drive if you're in need of more hills. You can go home via 9W. I think it will be a ride close to 100 miles.

fiamme red
06-19-2015, 04:54 PM
Try looking in the NYCC route library, you should find a few cue sheets there.

Here's one: http://nycc.org/cue-sheets/hudson/74904.

Ti Designs
06-21-2015, 09:49 AM
but take 9W North to Closter Dock Road. Closter Dock Road is the start of Bergen County Route 502. If you know local roads then go down Hillside Ave before Closter Dock into Cresskill and make your way up Closter and the bottom of Closter Dock Road. Skyline isn't far from the other end of 502. You want to avoid the piece of 502 called Old Hook Road that runs from Closter through Harrington Park and Emerson to Westwood. Take Schraalenburg Rd to Harriot Ave which becomes River Vale Rd and then take a left onto Westwood Ave in River Vale and when you get to Westwood take Main St and cross Kinderkamack onto Washington which is where you'll pick up 502 again. Then take it to the end which is in Franklin Lakes/Oakland and you're close to Skyline Drive. Climb over Skyline, descend the other side and there are roads that will take you to Route 17 in Sloatsburg. Take that North for a very short distance and get on backroads at the Sloatsburg Park N Ride that will take you to Seven Lakes Drive and all the way to Tiorati Circle. Keep going and climb Perkins Drive if you're in need of more hills. You can go home via 9W. I think it will be a ride close to 100 miles.

I moved away from my parents (in NJ) 30 years ago, I've never been homesick until now. This is a picture of my Benotto at the top of Perkins Drive in the early 80's.

ik2280
06-21-2015, 10:02 AM
I moved away from my parents (in NJ) 30 years ago, I've never been homesick until now. This is a picture of my Benotto at the top of Perkins Drive in the early 80's.

Cool, thanks for the tips, guys! We ended up doing 9W -> Piermont -> River Road - > Nyack Beach -> Haverstraw Trail -> Orchards -> Gate Hill -> Lake Welch -> Tiorati Brook -> Arden Valley Road (which I had never ridden before). Fun ride, though we both got a bit soaked from the rain / wet roads.

Great looking bike, TiDesigns.