PDA

View Full Version : 5,000: Fare Thee Well: Grateful Dead 50th

pdmtong
06-19-2015, 10:12 AM
In early May I realized my post count was closing in on a milestone. Really? Have I had that much to say? Have I really said anything?

I used to gaze at the $10,000 Serotta Ottrotts at CityCycle a half block from my mother-in-laws. I saw the Kodak Gallery Sierra Nevada team race Ottrotts in the SF Grand Prix. I bought one when the team folded and joined the forum

This place has enriched my cycling life. Made forum friends who have become IRL friends Received an immeasurable amount of riding, racing, travel and product knowledge. Hope that my experiences and perspectives across materials (steel, ti, ti/carbon and carbon) and disciplines (road, single track, cross, and downhill) have helped someone. But is there anyone else with a 6" full suspension tandem?

Bought a few things and sold a few things. Actually a lot of things - both ways. Took me a few years to monetize my hoarding
Easier faster and better than eBay or Craigslist. I don't miss all those Ariones or jerseys.

This place has changed a lot in my time here. A group split away. New faces arrived Old timers went away. But still the amazing range and depth of discussion across bike and OT continues. I am reminded that people see the world in many ways. I've gotten a lot from reading opposing views that challenge my own thoughts.

what a long strange trip it's been. I'll raise a glass of Pliny, Pappy or Springbank to the next 5,000. Thanks Paceline!

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/19/bb885e358e7ea0b29136eda9eb0b5cd8.jpg

William
06-19-2015, 10:16 AM
Thank YOU for hanging around, sharing, and participating with the big group of knuckleheads. :) Every participant shares in the pie that makes this place a pleasure to be part of.

William

MattTuck
06-19-2015, 10:19 AM
here here. :banana:

If you make it out this way, I've got a glass of corryvreckan waiting for you.

http://sr1.wine-searcher.net/images/labels/03/42/10390342.jpg

rwsaunders
06-19-2015, 10:28 AM
P...you turned out pretty well in spite of your love for fine bikes and kit. :cool:

makoti
06-19-2015, 10:34 AM
Wow. I thought you were going to say you hit 5000 miles already. That would have been nice, but this is cooler! Thanks for sharing that much. :banana:

wooly
06-19-2015, 10:41 AM
I not even close to your post count Tong but I echo your sentiments. I'm not here as much as I used to partly because I've been managing my "bike and bike part acquisition addiction" aka BABAA, but enjoy the company and banter here daily.

It's nice to have become IRL friends with you.. All the best.

PaMtbRider
06-19-2015, 11:44 AM
I joined 2 months after you. I have yet to hit 1000 posts. Guess I just don't have much to say. I do read this forum daily and enjoy the friends I have made here.

velotel
06-19-2015, 03:24 PM
Fine sentiments wonderfully expressed. So what's IRL? 5000! I think I joined about the same year and I'm only closing in on 1000. Oh well, I'm slow, I'll admit it. Thanks for the post.

fuzzalow
06-19-2015, 03:36 PM
You are a gentleman I have the blessing to interact with on this forum. It is a privilege to call you a friend.

For all the twists and turns this forum has undergone through the years it is truly fortunate that a select core remain in keeping the spirit of this place intact.

makoti
06-19-2015, 03:38 PM
Fine sentiments wonderfully expressed. So what's IRL? 5000! I think I joined about the same year and I'm only closing in on 1000. Oh well, I'm slow, I'll admit it. Thanks for the post.

IRL: In Real Life. Now I'm closer to 1K, too. :)

Ray
06-19-2015, 05:02 PM
Even though I'm not around much for the last couple of years, I've been here since 2003 and I'd have thought it was 2-3 years before that if it didn't say that right up by my name. Great place - I still stop by (though not nearly as much as before) even though I'm barely riding anymore. Good folks, some I've known for a long time, some not that long, some newer names I don't even know.

That's a nice ticket you've got there. I saw them many many times back in the day, starting in '77, but haven't seen a post-Jerry Dead show that I thought much of. Nonetheless, if I had a chance to see one of these last shows, I'd do it. I'm sure I'll catch one or two on pay-per-view. Just to say fare thee well. The Dead have meant an awful lot to me for all of my adult life - I was 18 when I saw them first and I'm 56 now. I saw the new movie about Weir (appropriately titled "The Other One") on Netflix recently and that sort of triggered my latest Dead listening rampage.

Have a great show! And here's to your next 5000 posts...

-Ray

John H.
06-19-2015, 05:24 PM
Get archive.org on your computer or etree mobile for your phone. Searchable data base has every show.
Re-live 1st show, favorite show, etc.
I have seen a decent amount of pre and post Jerry.
I will take post Jerry to strung out Jerry.
Phil's 70th B-day with Jackie Greene and Chris Robinson was sweet.
I have also seen great Phil Lesh shows with guests like Stanley Jordan, Jackie Greene, Stu Allen, Anders Osborne, etc.
They put their own twist on shows- not Jerry knock-off stuff.

Even though I'm not around much for the last couple of years, I've been here since 2003 and I'd have thought it was 2-3 years before that if it didn't say that right up by my name. Great place - I still stop by (though not nearly as much as before) even though I'm barely riding anymore. Good folks, some I've known for a long time, some not that long, some newer names I don't even know.

That's a nice ticket you've got there. I saw them many many times back in the day, starting in '77, but haven't seen a post-Jerry Dead show that I thought much of. Nonetheless, if I had a chance to see one of these last shows, I'd do it. I'm sure I'll catch one or two on pay-per-view. Just to say fare thee well. The Dead have meant an awful lot to me for all of my adult life - I was 18 when I saw them first and I'm 56 now. I saw the new movie about Weir (appropriately titled "The Other One") on Netflix recently and that sort of triggered my latest Dead listening rampage.

Have a great show! And here's to your next 5000 posts...

-Ray

John H.
06-19-2015, 05:28 PM
Oh, and if anyone needs tickets for the 27th and 28th shows at Levis Stadium, I have:
27th- 4 cheap seats and 2 nice ones. $59 and $200.
28th- 4 decent seats and 2 nice ones. $159 and $200.

Ryun
06-19-2015, 05:59 PM
Glad to have you here P. even I cant keep up with you on posts

beeatnik
06-19-2015, 06:01 PM
Paul, you're into the Dead?

Uncle Jam's Army
06-19-2015, 06:43 PM
Congrats Paul! I've always enjoyed your contributions to the forum. Here's to another 5,000!

wc1934
06-19-2015, 07:06 PM
Sometimes the lights all shining on me,
Other times I can barely see - 5000 posts - pdmtong, keep on truckin'

Ray
06-19-2015, 08:20 PM
Get archive.org on your computer or etree mobile for your phone. Searchable data base has every show.
Re-live 1st show, favorite show, etc.
I have seen a decent amount of pre and post Jerry.
I will take post Jerry to strung out Jerry.
Phil's 70th B-day with Jackie Greene and Chris Robinson was sweet.
I have also seen great Phil Lesh shows with guests like Stanley Jordan, Jackie Greene, Stu Allen, Anders Osborne, etc.
They put their own twist on shows- not Jerry knock-off stuff.

I'd probably take post Jerry to strung out Jerry too, except even in those last few years of mostly bad shows, there were still plenty of great moments, just not great shows. But I'd seen enough great shows in the 70s, early '80s, and then shortly after Jerry came back during the Touch-head years, that once it ended in '95 I wasn't up for trying to chase down the remnants. I was at a point in life when I wasn't going out to much music other than the Dead. So when that ended, so did my heavy concert going years. Also, I just never much liked Bobby as a leader - loved him as the harmonic bridge between Jerry and Phil - always thought he was badly under-appreciated. But as a leader, it just seemed to bring out his worst show biz instincts.

As for archives.org, I was on that back when you could still download soundboards. I think it was called Live Music Archives originally. I've got good recordings of all of my best shows. Best show I ever saw was the Close Encounters show at Mac Court in Eugene in January '78. I could tell you stories from that one - a ridiculous night on so many levels...

-Ray

John H.
06-19-2015, 09:05 PM
Thanks- I put that Eugene show on my phone for tomorrow.

I can see how you wouldn't want to travel around post Jerry.
I live in SF Bay Area so I was able to see shows without travel.
Terrapin Crossroads is 10 minutes away so I can get my fix easy.

I'd probably take post Jerry to strung out Jerry too, except even in those last few years of mostly bad shows, there were still plenty of great moments, just not great shows. But I'd seen enough great shows in the 70s, early '80s, and then shortly after Jerry came back during the Touch-head years, that once it ended in '95 I wasn't up for trying to chase down the remnants. I was at a point in life when I wasn't going out to much music other than the Dead. So when that ended, so did my heavy concert going years. Also, I just never much liked Bobby as a leader - loved him as the harmonic bridge between Jerry and Phil - always thought he was badly under-appreciated. But as a leader, it just seemed to bring out his worst show biz instincts.

As for archives.org, I was on that back when you could still download soundboards. I think it was called Live Music Archives originally. I've got good recordings of all of my best shows. Best show I ever saw was the Close Encounters show at Mac Court in Eugene in January '78. I could tell you stories from that one - a ridiculous night on so many levels...

-Ray

Ray
06-19-2015, 09:37 PM
Thanks- I put that Eugene show on my phone for tomorrow.

I can see how you wouldn't want to travel around post Jerry.
I live in SF Bay Area so I was able to see shows without travel.
Terrapin Crossroads is 10 minutes away so I can get my fix easy.

I was never a wandering Deadhead. I'd sometimes combine going to see friends with a run of shows, but I never left my life behind so the Dead could follow me around... ;) I mostly saw them within a couple hours of where I was living. And, yeah, if I lived in the Bay Area, I'm sure I'd have seen Phil a whole lot more and probably the Dead a whole lot more back in the day...

Enjoy the Eugene show. Back when I was heavily into trading tapes (pre streaming obviously) that show had a pretty solid reputation as about as good as any post hiatus show. Jerry didn't really have a voice and earlier on that run, Bobby was singing everything. But in Eugene he started singing with his hoarse voice anyway and it loosened up. The first set is unusually rocked out and the second set is just full on epic...

My favorite era was '73-74 with just Billy on drums. But I was just a schoolboy then and didn't make it to a show until '77...

-Ray

572cv
06-19-2015, 09:51 PM
Congrats on the posts, Paul. My impression, not knowing, is of a lot o' quality, worth knowing what you have to say. Which is about as much as I know.
It's been fun reading the Dead references in this post, as they formed part of the soundtrack of life for many years around here. I just went and dug around my basement vinyl... first album of theirs was from high school, their first, the only original composition: Cream Puff War, Jerry G. But they were doing what they did so well, interpreting and making theirs the work of many others, many genres. For a long long time, they got better and better. Hope you make it to the shows. Sounds great.

wc1934
06-20-2015, 07:19 PM
My favorite era was '73-74 with just Billy on drums. But I was just a schoolboy then and didn't make it to a show until '77...

-Ray

I just finished reading his book - DEAL. He has some interesting stories and interesting relationships (e.g. Mickey Hart).

pdmtong
06-21-2015, 12:58 PM
I'm going on Saturday and looking forward to the spectacle. Should I wear my jerry tie?

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/21/439e293d65f9133af822c03515380e14.jpg

MattTuck
06-21-2015, 01:30 PM
I'm going on Saturday and looking forward to the spectacle. Should I wear my jerry tie?

When I see that tie, I think of some lyrics....

"Saw a dead head sticker on a Cadillac...."

pdmtong
06-27-2015, 06:51 PM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/27/9f03590bed6c2302079bcfc3927399e3.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/27/f3c94ca3858a213724e3305b63d042ef.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/27/bf3a0c9a9f592a1489d861ae5ecfc9e5.jpg

maxdog
06-27-2015, 07:17 PM
So, how was the show? Thanks.

pdmtong
06-27-2015, 07:19 PM
So, how was the show? Thanks.

They go on in two hours

maxdog
06-27-2015, 07:23 PM
Wish I could join you. Enjoy!

rounder
06-27-2015, 09:48 PM
worked in San Francisco last week. There was no mention of Jerry Garcia or Grateful Dead that I saw. Still, saw some of the stuff that inspired them: Golden Gate Bridge, homeless folks on corners, endless hills, skateboards in traffic, awesome views of the bay, trash clutter all over, most people there were in shape...been there before...would definitely go there again.

rounder
06-27-2015, 10:08 PM
So, what was the music like. can you post it here?? Thanks.

pdmtong
06-27-2015, 10:35 PM
Opener was 15 minutes Truckin'. Sound system finally stabilized. Bill Walton getting his mug on the 70' screen. I already have contact high. People still remember how to do that twirling arm thing. FTD passes out red roses to everyone. I'm in for a $35 hat and $40 tee. YOLO
Trey is no jerry - but still really great.
Rainbow cherry on top

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/27/14754260804c37a16f9d3b4b72b44325.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/27/a2f084cc7898597dd867eaa6f9268323.jpg

Cat3roadracer
06-27-2015, 10:55 PM
Set list, please. When you are finished.

pdmtong
06-27-2015, 11:31 PM
Seven songs and an hour break. This blows

pdmtong
06-27-2015, 11:49 PM
Now the fireworks at Great America (park closing) are going off during set 2.

Surreal and distracting

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/27/84e8428a58418479826a023f4d8d2225.jpg