PDA

View Full Version : Thomson Masterpeice to Carbon seatpost?

toronto-rider
06-18-2015, 11:58 AM
Getting a new frame (2015 Specialized S works Tarmac) and currently using a Thomson Masterpiece seatpost.
Apart from weight, will I notice a smoother ride moving to a Carbon seatpost.

I have to use a 0 offset seatpost, so Thomson has always been easy to find.
Apart from running 25 tires, looking at other ways to make my ride more comfortable.

I currently have Thomson on all 4 of my bikes including 2 cross bikes.

oldpotatoe
06-18-2015, 12:19 PM
Getting a new frame (2015 Specialized S works Tarmac) and currently using a Thomson Masterpiece seatpost.
Apart from weight, will I notice a smoother ride moving to a Carbon seatpost.

I have to use a 0 offset seatpost, so Thomson has always been easy to find.
Apart from running 25 tires, looking at other ways to make my ride more comfortable.

I currently have Thomson on all 4 of my bikes including 2 cross bikes.

No, use less tire pressure and supple tires.

Vinci
06-18-2015, 12:57 PM
FWIW, Masterpiece seatposts aren't heavier than many carbon posts.

At 193g for a 27.2x330, it's lighter than a comparable ENVE post.

rnhood
06-18-2015, 01:09 PM
On overnight jaunts, I use a Thompson in my S-Works Tarmac since I have been using a seat post clamp type rack. I am planning to change this to a Revelate bag in the future but will probably continue to use the Thompson post for this duty. Of course when road riding, I use the carbon post. There is a small amount of difference in comfort - imho - but its pretty much academic. You will be fine on the Thompson and as stated above, nothing tames the ride like tires and pressure. I think you will find the new Tarmac is pretty darn comfy right out of the store.

toronto-rider
06-18-2015, 03:00 PM
Thanks for replies guys, I guess the old THomson stays put.

CheshireCat
06-18-2015, 04:35 PM
if you want comfortable, spend the money on some high TPI tires.

23c open corsa evo skinwalls feel better than my 32c gatorskins on my touring rig.

adhumston
06-18-2015, 04:47 PM
I've had an Enve carbon post and a Thomson masterpiece on my gravel rig. The Thomson currently resides on there WITH a carbon railed seat. That made a noticeable difference.

I did not notice a discernible difference between the seatposts themselves with a titanium railed seat installed.

*Keep in mind this is on a bike running tubeless 38/34c tires at 38psi*

1centaur
06-18-2015, 06:04 PM
I have Masterpiece posts on most of my carbon bikes and carbon posts on the rest. I am a major fan of carbon fiber. I have never noticed a difference in post comfort.

A British cycling magazine often says a really long (exposed) 27.2 CF post makes for a more comfortable ride due to the flex of that exposed length, but I definitely agree with OP that tire pressure will have a much more obvious effect than CF vs. metal posts.

R3awak3n
06-18-2015, 06:54 PM
I had a masterpiece and went to an enve (only reason is because I like the looks of the enve setback more than the masterpiece, if I was going for a no setback the masterpiece would be my choice anytime). I did not notice a difference in comfort what so ever.

Charles M
06-18-2015, 07:05 PM
Why specify "Thompson Masterpiece" and leave that versus generic Carbon?

Elefantino
06-19-2015, 11:08 AM
No, use less tire pressure and supple tires.

Word(s).