PDA

View Full Version : Disc brake LEVER question

krhea
06-17-2015, 10:43 PM
I'm looking to build a new gravel ride using disc brakes, however, I'll be using bar-end shifters and not brifter levers. Any suggestions for a good set of "brake" only levers with the proper pull ratio? I'll be using Hy/Rds more then likely.

Thanks
KRhea

vqdriver
06-17-2015, 11:09 PM
Trp?

CircuitHero
06-17-2015, 11:23 PM
Cane Creek?

binouye
06-17-2015, 11:24 PM
Hy/Rds are easier to set up to work well with levers that pull more cable. Cable pull figures are hard to find though, so good luck sorting it out.

Cane creek levers are cheap and comfy for my hands (copy of a Campy shape), but lever/hand shape is a personal preference. I have a pair of TRP RRL SR levers and love the way they look and feel, but I think the pivot is too low, which makes it harder to brake from up on the hoods. I ended up moving those levers to a fixie that I only use for short trips after getting frustrated with the pivot placement.

etu
06-17-2015, 11:33 PM
Costs about the same as Hy/rd, but no issues with cable pull. Full hydraulic system with excellent power and modulation. Much nicer than Hy/rd if you aren't using brifters. Very happy having made the switch. If you go this route, the hoods are a good 1cm or more longer so you have to use a shorter stem to keep the reach the same.

vqdriver
06-18-2015, 12:05 AM
Good call. Hykex seems like a perfect choice in this scenario. I'm really happy with the Trp/tektro customer service btw.