PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite road helmet and why?

scottcw2
04-28-2006, 06:14 PM
Discuss.

Ray
04-28-2006, 06:25 PM
Bell Alchera or Furio. Because Bell's shape fits my head best and these are the cheapest helmets they sell with the molded in shell and the little wheelie thing in the back for adjusting the fit. Enough vents, looks like any other modern helmet. $50 range. I never saw the point of spending beau coup bucks on a helmet. As long as it fits, vents reasonably well, and protects my head when called upon, I'm good.

-Ray

palincss
04-28-2006, 06:50 PM
Giro Torrent. One size fits all, and it happens to fit me better than any other bicycle helmet I've ever owned -- and I've been using helmets for bicycling since 1972. It has a visor, it's got a decent place to mount a glued-on mirror, and it is cheap to boot. It's even adjustable enough that I can go from a balaclava to none with nothing more than the adjustment of that rachety plastic sizing thing inside the helmet. And, in terms of crash performance, it meets the same standards all the others do, even those that are more than five times the price. I got one last month on sale from Nashbar for twenty bucks. What's not to like?

:banana:

Ahneida Ride
04-28-2006, 07:20 PM
Bell Metro ...

1.) Rounded Helmet
2.) Offers superior protection
3.) 3 sizes + easy adjusting mechanism
4.) Removable visor that works
5.) Many options
6.) Single color throughout, not multicolored,
7.) Clip for light on back of helmet
8.) Comfortable

ergott
04-28-2006, 07:43 PM
http://www.cbike.com/images/atmos_white_silver.jpg

It fits and looks real good.

Grant McLean
04-28-2006, 07:44 PM
http://www.cbike.com/images/atmos_white_silver.jpg

It fits and looks real good.

you can be on my team!

g

scottie
04-28-2006, 07:49 PM
As a person who is on their 3rd helmet for the last 12 months I can sing the praises of Giro helmets, they always look worse than I do after the accidents and have done what they are meant to do very well. (i'm still alive and cycling after all) :banana:
Top helmets, get on board! I'm currently riding a rabobank atmos, airflow is amazing and worth every dollar!
Cheers,
Scottie

taz-t
04-28-2006, 07:59 PM
Top helmets, get on board! I'm currently riding a rabobank atmos, airflow is amazing and worth every dollar!
Cheers,
Scottie

Is the Atmos worth the money over the Pneumo? I've been happy enough with a Pneumo and a Bell Ghisallo, but I could really tell the difference in air flow when I got the Pneumo over my old Giro (forgot the model).

- taz

davids
04-28-2006, 08:00 PM
...Atmos, atmo.

I've been waiting months to use that! :banana:

scottie
04-28-2006, 08:54 PM
Is the Atmos worth the money over the Pneumo? I've been happy enough with a Pneumo and a Bell Ghisallo, but I could really tell the difference in air flow when I got the Pneumo over my old Giro (forgot the model).

- taz

The first one I crashed was the pneumo, I think that it may have fit better, but the atmos has better airflow, and as a bonus it was Australian standard approved which the Pneumo wasn't. (thus making it illegal for me to use over here in Oz.)
As for being worth more money? If you were buying a new helmet it's definately worth it, otherwise don't bother.

spiderlake
04-28-2006, 09:27 PM
I purchased a Specialized Aurora last year and have been very happy. The fit system is ratchet-like and easy to "dial" in a comfortable fit. It's less expensive than the Decibel and I think it looks better.

jerk
04-28-2006, 09:44 PM
jerk helmet redux.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=159381&postcount=22

jerk

Grant McLean
04-28-2006, 09:47 PM
jerk helmet redux.
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=159381&postcount=22
jerk

dude, i'm partial to the podium cap, but i'm not sure how effective
it is if you use it for a landing pad.

-g

jerk
04-28-2006, 09:55 PM
dude, i'm partial to the podium cap, but i'm not sure how effective
it is if you use it for a landing pad.

-g

g-
that would require the jerk actually standing on a podium which he doesn't do.
that being said the jerk did fgo out for a ride on wednesday wearing his team kit and a red sox baseball cap....mp. but he couldn't find another hat.

jerk

Grant McLean
04-28-2006, 10:04 PM
g-
that would require the jerk actually standing on a podium which he doesn't do.
that being said the jerk did fgo out for a ride on wednesday wearing his team kit and a red sox baseball cap....mp. but he couldn't find another hat.

jerk

I hope you are hoisting a big pave rock above yer head again before you know it.

g

nobrakes
04-28-2006, 10:38 PM
Was wearing a Catlike that pretty much saved my life last summer. Couldn't find another one to replace it, so I bought a Giro Atmos, but I didn't like the fit. Ended up with a Cratoni Ceron. Very comfy, seems lighter than the Giro, but built very substantially. Has very good ventilation, also.

Samster
04-29-2006, 12:06 AM
giro, atmo (s)

met stradivarius 2

alancw3
04-29-2006, 04:31 AM
trek anthem. execellent fit for my head, great adjustment, superb ventilation and one of the lightest helemts on the market. and much less money than bell or giro. not sure if this is true with all helmet manufacturers or not but trek has a one year crash replacement policy. they actually want you to sent the helmet back for a free replacement if crashed irreguardless of apparrent damage.

GoJavs
04-29-2006, 07:15 AM
I've been wearing a Bell EVO Pro since they came out years ago. It's comfortable, light and it doesn't make me look like a complete dork. Before then, in the 90s, I rode with a Bell Razor which had a great shape but the straps were very thin and would get tangled easily...

My brother swears by his Giro Eclipse and I must admit the fit is fantastic.

Tony Edwards
04-29-2006, 08:46 AM
I've been just delighted with my Giro Pneumo for quite a while now. Of all the helmets I've used over the years, this is the first one that seemed noticeably different in terms of airflow - it vents really, really well and seems virtually as cool as no helmet.

Zoomie80
04-29-2006, 12:57 PM
I used a Bell Nemesis for about 5 years...yeah, I should have replaced it 2-3 years ago, but it sure fit well. After countless washings, the pads no longer stuck to the velcro hooks in the helmet. I've been eyeing the Giro Atmos for a couple of years but could not justify the cost. Finally, they went on sale and bought one in Fassa Bortolo colors (silver carbon fiber inserts is just too cool!). About a month later, Performance had another sale and saw an Atmos in Postal colors on the clearance table for $40 (with a sign on top for additional 50% off!). It happened to be my size...I inspected it for wear, cracks, damage...it was brand spankin' new. I checked with the cashier to make sure it was truly on clearance and not mis-marked. There was also a Pneumo in way cool red/white/yellow.. also my size. Thought about getting both but figured I'd have a tough time explaining 3 new helmets to the wife. So...bought the Atmos in UPS; have two of 'em now for all of $159! Oh yeah, fit and airflow are fantastic...my boys think my hair sticking out the vents look like little black antennas! :)

BTW, Giro (actually Bell) customer service is fantastic! The two fingers of the RocLoc mechanism that connect it to the top of the helmet were not exactly even and made adjustments a little tricky on the second Atmos. I called customer service on a Thursday and asked if I could order a new RocLoc--I received a new one via Priority Mail the following Tuesday no charge.

Checked my kids' helmets...turns out they're also Giro...

Cheers,
Zoomie

mike p
04-29-2006, 01:01 PM
Bell Ghisallo, fits my mellon and I didn't have to take out a second morgage on the house to pay for it like some giro's.

Mike

saab2000
04-29-2006, 01:12 PM
There are bike helmets?

stevep
04-29-2006, 02:22 PM
giro atmos. fits the best, very comfortable

shinomaster
04-29-2006, 03:06 PM
When I first got it I couldn't believe how well it fit when compared to my old specialized cobra that I got in 1996.
Then it saved my brain last month...so I just got another one.
The vents are excellent and it doesn't even feel like you are wearing a helmet....It does however let in more rain.
It also costs less that other top of the line helmets, and I think it probably is just as good, or better.

Serpico
04-29-2006, 03:22 PM
I got an Atmos a few weeks ago, very happy with it so far :beer:

Dr. Doofus
04-29-2006, 03:42 PM
had an atmos

its good

had a pnuemo

its good

this year

using a cheapo eclipse

its good too

its just plastic on yer head

Bill Bove
04-29-2006, 04:23 PM
Selev or Cinelli hairnets but the helmet nazi's go crazy when I go out on a ride wearing one of them so for my head I ride responsibly for the people who are so concerned with my welfare that they go apolectic when they see my bald spot I wear a Giro Atmos.

I do think it's a good idea to wear a helmet, it helps keep the insurance rates down. Yeah, right.

shinomaster
04-29-2006, 04:36 PM
I saw a biker riding a hog the other day with a full on steel jousting helmet....what a sight...

zap
04-29-2006, 04:41 PM
Helmets suk.

But Bell Sweep is the best so far if Zap is forced to wear one.

Which is most of the time.

MikeS
04-29-2006, 04:54 PM
These fit really well are light and look good. Did I mention the bug net that will help against bees - it is removable if you don't want it. Not to mention 80.00 less expensive than a look like every body Giro.

Ray
04-29-2006, 05:33 PM
These fit really well are light and look good. Did I mention the bug net that will help against bees - it is removable if you don't want it. Not to mention 80.00 less expensive than a look like every body Giro.
Do ANY of these modern helmets really look much different than the others? I mean aside from the REALLY funky ones like the 3-hole Briko that Cipo used to wear and a couple of others (or a Bell Metro, but that's made and marketed as a commuter helmet), they all pretty much look the same to me. I'm not saying this is a BAD thing, but I don't see much to distinguish the Rudy Project other than the name on the side.

I just don't get the fuss. All of the new helmets vent pretty well (and I wear a cap anyway, so how critical is one or two more vents anyway?) and protect your noggin pretty well and mostly look about the same. Different brands fit a bit differently, but otherwise, what's the issue? It's not like frames, which RIDE differently, or components, which WORK differently. Helmets either fit or they don't - other than that they all seem to work about the same, no?

-Ray

scottcw2
04-29-2006, 05:49 PM
To answer my own question, I favor Limar helmets. I love their fit adjustment. I had a 111 or 911. Just picked up a 907 at Performance on clearance for $70. Also picked up a Cratoni Ceron. I'll probably buy a Briko Solo in a couple of months. I'm such a consumer.

Elefantino
04-29-2006, 05:52 PM
Specialized. I had one on my noggin when I broke my neck; docs said it saved my life.

Pay it forward. :)

cycleman_21
04-29-2006, 06:56 PM
I have two Giro Eclipse models because they work, look, and feel good, and they were on sale late last Fall for under 40 bucks each :D
I'm out

Ron C