PDA

View Full Version : fork talk

Needs Help
03-23-2004, 10:13 PM
Hi,

I'm worried about the fork choice for a 64cm frame with say 2 cm's of spacers under the stem. How would an F2 feel compared to a steel fork? Is the carbon steerer going to be flexy? Should I consider something with an alloy steerer instead like the Ouzo comp. I need at least a 350mm steerer.

bikedadjc
03-24-2004, 05:11 AM
I don't think the F2 would be flexy at all. In fact, i think its a great choice for a fork. You will have improved road feel. The fork is much stiffer, there's none of that twitchiness like with Ouzo pro forks. The F2 is a great fork!!

PaulE
03-24-2004, 10:04 AM
My frame is smaller at 60 cm, but I have a 3 cm head tube extension and 2.5 cm of spacers, so I may be in the same neighborhood of overall steerer tube length. FWIW, I think it would be a good choice for you.

jerk
03-24-2004, 11:04 AM
go find a serotta f1....they are out there.
jerk

jeffg
03-24-2004, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by jerk
go find a serotta f1....they are out there.
jerk

If it has not been built, perhaps you should find the F1, have the frame designed with it in mind, and then you will be set.

I asked Kelly about replacing my fork with an F-1 and he advised against it since the span was different from my current fork (F2)(assuming I understood him correctly). I have 1cm of spacers on my serotta, but the frame is smaller (56X57) so it's likely not a good gauge.

best,

Jeff

Ahneida Ride
03-24-2004, 03:31 PM
NH.

The F1 is a beast. It does not budge, Seek out an F1 if
possible.

Only wsh you could demo my 64, that would answer
just about all your quetions.

I know, it sure is scarry to spend this kind of money
for a product sight unseen,

I just don't think that demoing a smaller frame is
an accurate assesment of the 64's performance, comfort,
and handeling.

Needs Help
03-24-2004, 03:45 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Does the F1 require a 1" head tube? Doe Serotta even make Legends and Ottrotts with 1" head tubes? What are the differences between an F1 and an Ouzo Comp(alloy steerer)?

Just to be clear, I'm concerned about the steerer flex and not the flex of the fork blades, although I would be interested in how that feels compared to a steel fork, too.

Oh, yeah: does anyone know if the steerer tube on an F2 is any different than the steerer on an Ouzo pro? Did Serotta make it thicker, stronger, stiffer?

I asked Kelly about replacing my fork with an F-1 and he advised against it since the span was different from my current fork (F2)(assuming I understood him correctly).

"Span" as in offset, i.e. effects the trail? Why did you consider going from the F2 to the F1?

Ahneida Ride
03-24-2004, 04:32 PM
I used the CK Devolution HS, to adapt my F1 to the
Legend 1'1/8 headtube. No Problemo. Works like a charm.

Again the F1 has no steerer flex.
and at 245, I can test the limits of equipment.
I can assure this audience that Serotta Knows how
to build a frame for a big Dufus.

The bike/frame/components are Rock Solid.
Even in strong crosswinds, the bike performs
admirally.

Too Tall
03-24-2004, 05:57 PM
Would it be an act of heresy to suggest an old stock Kestrel EMS? Talk about rock solid. OMG. They are all over the place and for give away prices.

For a carbon fork I'd look at AlphaQ. Mine is longer than yours...steerer that is...and my AlphaQ has a Ti steerer. I'm VERY happy.