PDA

View Full Version : New Bib Shorts - 6'2"/167lb/32

hainy
06-16-2015, 10:15 PM
I am in the market for new bib shorts and being reasonably tall and lean not all sizing working for me.

Assos sizing doesn't work, Haven't tried Rapha.

Giordana FRC has worked for me have seen mixed reviews about the new ones.

Anyone who is similiarly sized got any recommendations.

Cheers

Hainy

JimmyTango
06-17-2015, 08:37 AM
I'm 6'2", 170 lbs, 31" waist and of all my kits I like my Capo medium bibs the best... A bit tighter than some others but very comfortable on the bike. Panache large also fits well.

commonguy001
06-17-2015, 08:55 AM
If you want to try rapha I'd suggest Medium in classic and Large in Pro Team for bibs.

Chris
06-17-2015, 09:13 AM
I'm 6'2", 163. Medium in Rapha and Louis Garneau work well for me. I like the Rapha because they are durable, light and the straps aren't overly restrictive which can be a problem for us skinny tall guys.

gone
06-17-2015, 09:30 AM
You might try Pactimo, they have a fit tool that's reasonably accurate, at least it was for me. 6'3, 174, 34" waist.

eippo1
06-17-2015, 10:13 AM
I am 6'-1"/167/33 and find that Assos S5 bibs in medium fit great, but need to go to a large for the new S7 stuff. I'm also a large for Texmarket. Medium for Verge, Craft, Castelli and LG.

bcroslin
06-17-2015, 10:17 AM
Try Rapha - you have nothing to lose. If they don't fit just send them back. You might even want to order a medium and a large and just return the pair that don't work.

I recently bought a pair of Castelli inferno bibs and they are super light weight but the chamois is terrible compared to the Rapha. I wear the Rapha light weight bibs and they're perfect in every way.

commonguy001
06-17-2015, 10:57 AM
Side note on Rapha

I picked up the Pro Team Light bibs and while they're not bad they're no where near as comfortable as the regular Pro teams. I think the fit is wider (large in these is not near snug), less compression and the Chamois is minimalist which I don't care for all that much.

parallelfish
06-17-2015, 02:56 PM
I am the same size and weight. Extremely happy with the Assos S7 bibs in XL (extra long).

gmonster
06-17-2015, 08:06 PM
Road Holland's inseam runs long and works well for tall folks... may want to give them a try while they are on sale:

http://roadholland.com/collections/mens/products/the-bolsward-bib

hainy
06-17-2015, 08:32 PM
Thanks Guys for all the feedback,

If I go XL large in assos I find them way to loose.

I might try the LG's in Medium

denapista
06-18-2015, 09:52 AM
Rapha pro team bib is the best thing since sliced bread. Seriously. It's that good. I'm 6'2 168lb in the morning and 175lb after breakfast burrito before ride. I wear a L in the bib. so good! The compression and Chamios are to die for, and the minimalist graphics make them easy to blend with other jerseys.

hainy
06-18-2015, 06:26 PM
I just ordered a 2014 LG Course Race I discovered on close out at USD120 and a Primal from Wiggle. I will see how these two shape up but will also have a look at the Raphas.

Cheers and many thanks

Hainy - Sydney, Australia

hainy
06-19-2015, 04:35 AM
If you want to try rapha I'd suggest Medium in classic and Large in Pro Team for bibs.

What is the difference between these two as I am keen to give one a try.

commonguy001
06-19-2015, 06:11 AM
What is the difference between these two as I am keen to give one a try.

Pro team Lycra has more compression in the legs and IMO is the nicest bib I've ever used. If you like you bibs longer they make a long too, I have both regular and long (my inseam is nearly 35 inches) and am up in the air on which I like more as they're both great. The chamois is really good and you just don't ever think about it as it works so well.

The classic have less compression and are sized a bit larger but also shorter in the leg if you get the mediums. Large would be longer but even more roomy. The Lycra is softer and really comfortable and again the chamois is excellent.

I like both for different reasons and have done 7+ hour days in both and never though about them on the bike.

hainy
06-19-2015, 06:26 AM
Thanks very much

I will go with the pro and try them on at the local Rapha stores

Cheers

Hainy

hainy
07-30-2015, 09:53 PM
Just got back from the local Rapha and tried on both the Pro Team (L) and the Classics (M). Took the Pro Team as I preferred the firmer fit and the sales woman (very sexy) convinced me they would more versatile and not as hot in summer. Will ride in anger this weekend and see what I think. I will compare these to Louis Garneau Course Race I picked up recently and get a second pair in the ones I like best.

Cheers

Hainy

Lovetoclimb
07-31-2015, 06:08 AM
Sounds like we have very similar numbers for height, weight, and waist. I prefer Rapha Pro Team shorts above all others in size large, then Rapha Classic shorts in size medium. After that it is Castelli in medium or the new Assos shorts (the lower end models are comparable to Rapha) in medium/large.

mcteague
07-31-2015, 06:20 AM
I'm just over 6', used to be 6'1" but somewhere along the way the weight of the world shrunk me a bit. I just bought Rapha Classic bibs in med. I went with the Classics due to the return policy where you can ride them for a while. That, plus the discount coupon, made me comfortable paying so much.

Turns out I really like them, best bibs I have had so far. Only issues are the legs are just a tad short and they feel hotter than my PI in-r-cool bibs.

Tim

spiderwj
08-01-2015, 11:22 PM
I'm 6'4", 180 lbs, all torso. I need bibs with long suspenders otherwise they pull up and become short shorts! At the moment, my favorites are my PI in-r-cool bibs in size large. I turned a buddy onto them and he swears by them also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joosttx
08-01-2015, 11:38 PM
Q36.5. L1. will do the trick for your size. I'm 6'1 174lb and I wear a large. Regardless they are the best bibs money can buy IMO.

jpang922
08-01-2015, 11:46 PM
I'm 6'4", 180 lbs, all torso. I need bibs with long suspenders otherwise they pull up and become short shorts! At the moment, my favorites are my PI in-r-cool bibs in size large. I turned a buddy onto them and he swears by them also.

Almost exactly the same build (taller by an inch) and have been happy with Assos Uno S5 and recently POC essential, both in large.

Tried PI before but the chamois always seemed too further back by a few centimeters. Weird.

hainy
08-02-2015, 02:05 AM
I spend 4 hours this morning on the Pro teams and if there is a better pair of short I haven't used them. Just being that comfortable makes you feel stronger and one less thing to worry about. I will definitely be purchasing another pair or two.

Thanks to all those that suggested trying them.

Cheers

Hainy

Louis
08-02-2015, 02:23 AM
Glad you were able to find something that works for you.

Having said that, am I the only person on this forum who actually prefers non-bib shorts? Everything (and I mean everything, if you know what I mean) is simpler.

In my experience (and I have tons of bib shorts in my cycling dresser and L fit me just fine) I haven't found a single area where bibs work better. I have zero issues with the plain shorts - what's the problem with them for you guys?

commonguy001
08-02-2015, 07:11 AM
Great to hear!

I have a riding buddy with limited funds who just picked up a pair of pro teams and feels the same way. We just did a 7:30 ride yesterday and they are what he showed up in. As he is a comfort first guy that speaks to what he thinks about them.

uber
08-02-2015, 11:56 AM
I am about the same height and weight. I used to ride Classic bibs in Large, but tried the Pro in Large. It is a big improvement in fit and comfort. I can't say enough about Rapha as a company with respect to customer service. In my dealings with them I have found them to be first rate and deserving of a loyal customer base.

spiderwj
08-02-2015, 09:52 PM
Almost exactly the same build (taller by an inch) and have been happy with Assos Uno S5 and recently POC essential, both in large.

Tried PI before but the chamois always seemed too further back by a few centimeters. Weird.

Good to know on Assos and POC. I haven't owned either and at the price tag I am hesitant to gamble. Your endorsement helps. I will give them a try. Probably Assos as I always wanted and Assos kit.

joosttx
08-02-2015, 10:49 PM
Just got back from the local Rapha and tried on both the Pro Team (L) and the Classics (M). Took the Pro Team as I preferred the firmer fit and the sales woman (very sexy) convinced me they would more versatile and not as hot in summer. Will ride in anger this weekend and see what I think. I will compare these to Louis Garneau Course Race I picked up recently and get a second pair in the ones I like best.

Cheers

Hainy

If you like the pro team you'll love the Q36.5 L1 bib. It's is fitted similar the the pro team but with no seams and better construction. I'm not kidding.

hainy
08-03-2015, 04:46 AM
Based on my dimensions what size would you recommend in the 36.5

joosttx
08-03-2015, 07:33 AM
Based on my dimensions what size would you recommend in the 36.5

Large if that is what fits you with the pro team

zap
08-03-2015, 08:26 AM
Thanks Guys for all the feedback,

If I go XL large in assos I find them way to loose.

I might try the LG's in Medium

I'm very close to your height and weight.

Large Assos S7 fits me quite well.

hainy
08-03-2015, 07:53 PM
Thanks Joosttx and Zap,

I will consider those also. The good thing about Rapha is I can ride them in anger and if not happy they will provide a refund.

I like companies that stand by there product. No comeback I spend a pile of money on and assos and a 36.5 and don't like them.

Cheers and thanhs again

Hainy - Sydney/ Australia

mcteague
08-04-2015, 06:23 AM
Thanks Joosttx and Zap,

I will consider those also. The good thing about Rapha is I can ride them in anger and if not happy they will provide a refund.

I like companies that stand by there product. No comeback I spend a pile of money on and assos and a 36.5 and don't like them.

Cheers and thanhs again

Hainy - Sydney/ Australia

My understanding is only the Classics line allows you to ride them and then return. The rest of the stuff can only be returned in new condition.

http://pages.rapha.cc/en_US/service-en_us/classics-guarantee

http://pages.rapha.cc/en_US/service-en_US/returns

Tim

humboldt
08-04-2015, 12:33 PM
I'm liking Attaquer bibs the best. I'm 6'-2", 180lbs, 33 waist. The size XL fits great and they are really high quality. Longest inseam of any bibs I've tried. I have the normcore bibs and a few of their other kits.

hainy
08-04-2015, 06:01 PM
My understanding is only the Classics line allows you to ride them and then return. The rest of the stuff can only be returned in new condition.

http://pages.rapha.cc/en_US/service-en_us/classics-guarantee

http://pages.rapha.cc/en_US/service-en_US/returns

Tim

Ahh...didn't realize that. Not to worry I won't be returning these and are looking to buy more