PDA

View Full Version : World's Most Amazing Collection of Bicycles

RobJ
06-16-2015, 02:12 PM
My-oh-my :banana:

http://wearefactoryfive.com/blogs/factory-five-blog/19055655-the-worlds-most-amazing-collection-of-bicycles

msl819
06-16-2015, 02:18 PM
That's most impressive.

mobilemail
06-16-2015, 03:21 PM
I will never again feel like I'm a bike hoarder...

Anarchist
06-16-2015, 03:47 PM
Many years ago there was a fellow in Australia who used to post on RBR.

I do recall seeing a posting he had made one time of a visit to an Australian bicycle museum/collection that was jaw dropping.

Perhaps someone here may remember it, or someone with much better Googleability than me could track it down.

It was astounding.

likebikes
06-16-2015, 04:06 PM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=165348

Mzilliox
06-16-2015, 04:33 PM
I'd like to just take one home...

cnighbor1
06-16-2015, 05:29 PM
If the owner of World's Most Amazing Collection of Bicycles started to sell off over a few months would the value of classic bicycle fall 50%/

JAllen
06-16-2015, 08:29 PM
I'd like to just take one home...

My thoughts exactly. Although I can get decision anxiety pretty bad...

pbarry
06-16-2015, 09:18 PM
Have a good friend in Boulder who downsized from 85 vintage race bikes down to 18. It was kind of heartbreaking to see this, as they all fit him, and were a size too big for me.

The collection in in the OP link is beyond my realm of understanding. Big props for putting it together. :hello:

pbarry
06-16-2015, 09:20 PM
If the owner of World's Most Amazing Collection of Bicycles started to sell off over a few months would the value of classic bicycle fall 50%/

It might increase, methinks.

berserk87
06-17-2015, 10:17 AM
I have to show this to my wife. Maybe it will expand her perspective on my compulsive cycling behaviors.

ORMojo
06-17-2015, 12:48 PM
Be certain to read down through the comments. The owner of the collection actively responds and participates in the comments thread, and posts additional photos. And he responds in the positive to several requests to view the collection in person!

KJMUNC
06-17-2015, 02:41 PM
The bike hoarder part of me loves this because it's an incredible collection, but mostly the rider part of me says that all of these should be ridden and not put up on the wall as a collection.

I try my best to keep my collection small and rideable but I have a couple hanging on pegs that I want to build or rebuild and ride again. This collection is just that.....a collection of things that will likely never be ridden again.

Sad that all of these great bikes aren't being put to use as they were intended.

jmoore
06-17-2015, 03:11 PM
The bike hoarder part of me loves this because it's an incredible collection, but mostly the rider part of me says that all of these should be ridden and not put up on the wall as a collection.

I try my best to keep my collection small and rideable but I have a couple hanging on pegs that I want to build or rebuild and ride again. This collection is just that.....a collection of things that will likely never be ridden again.

Sad that all of these great bikes aren't being put to use as they were intended.

This is kind of how I feel. Personally I have never understood the "collecting" of anything to this level. If you buy something, it should be used. These bikes need to be ridden and not only displayed.

bironi
06-17-2015, 06:03 PM
Very impressive, but it is only a snapshot of bike history. I would love to walk out with a dozen bikes to try, and return for a dozen more.............etc......etc......now what's his frame size?

soulspinner
06-18-2015, 12:34 PM
i have to show this to my wife. Maybe it will expand her perspective on my compulsive cycling behaviors.

+1

Repack Rider
06-18-2015, 01:12 PM
I don't see any mountain bikes there. Among the famous builders I would expect to see Ritchey, Breeze, Mountain Goat (Jeff Lindsay), Salsa (Ross Schafer), Cunningham and the like.

fiataccompli
06-18-2015, 02:00 PM
re: bikes meant to be ridden...while part of me agrees, part also realizes that for the most part there are still a LOT of bikes of this sort in existence and this isn't a case like a shortage of food or water to go around. I have more bikes than any practical or reasonable argument would support, so I am perhaps biased. There is some value in preserving examples in a historical sense I would suppose also.