PDA

View Full Version : OT St. Louis Cardinals and espionage

rwsaunders
06-16-2015, 10:48 AM
And you thought that the Patriots had issues...

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/17/sports/baseball/st-louis-cardinals-hack-astros-fbi.html?emc=edit_na_20150616&nlid=62054283&_r=0

MattTuck
06-16-2015, 11:02 AM
That is not good. The FBI is involved... yikes.

rugbysecondrow
06-16-2015, 11:03 AM
This could be a big deal for an otherwise storied franchise. I am a Cubs fan, so I dislike the Cardinals, but I have always respected how they did business. If this is true, then it will taint the organization and they should be bludgeoned by the League.

FlashUNC
06-16-2015, 11:16 AM
The Cardinal Way indeed.

Can't wait to see how a segment of rather sanctimonious Cardinals fans dig their way out of this one.

makoti
06-16-2015, 11:37 AM
The Cardinal Way indeed.

Can't wait to see how a segment of rather sanctimonious Cardinals fans dig their way out of this one.

At least they didn't deflate anything...

texbike
06-16-2015, 11:49 AM
Interesting...

Again, I'm not sure why the U.S. DOJ is up in arms about FIFA when there are so many fish to fry at home. We have plenty of corrupt organizations (sports and otherwise) to investigate in our own backyard.

Texbike

azrider
06-16-2015, 11:56 AM
The Cardinal Way indeed. Can't wait to see how a segment of rather sanctimonious Cardinals fans

Sanctimonious? Jeez that didn't take long for this to go below belt.

And could you elaborate on "The Cardinal Way" please. I'm not exactly clear on what you're inferring.

FlashUNC
06-16-2015, 12:43 PM
Sanctimonious? Jeez that didn't take long for this to go below belt.

And could you elaborate on "The Cardinal Way" please. I'm not exactly clear on what you're inferring.

Pretty much unavoidable if you're even peripherally aware that St Louis has a baseball team. Mostly because they beat you over the head with it. There is no more insufferable fanbase than Cardinals fans, and I say this as someone who has Yankees fans in the family:

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/now-in-book-form-the-cardinal-way/article_1c76331b-077e-57aa-9333-86a85b1f5ac2.html

For decades the phrase "Cardinal Way" has been bandied about the ballpark, used to describe a style of play, an approach to player development, sometimes a marketing slogan, and many years ago a pejorative for penny-pinching. Former Cardinal manager Tony La Russa mentioned it during the World Series run last fall. Mike Matheny said it at least a half dozen times on the day he was hired as La Russa's successor. While the catchy slogan can border on cliché — gaining usage, but losing meaning — the Cardinals have worked internally to reclaim the phrase for its original use, that of an organizational philosophy.

azrider
06-16-2015, 01:03 PM
Pretty much unavoidable if you're even peripherally aware that St Louis has a baseball team. Mostly because they beat you over the head with it. There is no more insufferable fanbase than Cardinals fans, and I say this as someone who has Yankees fans in the family:

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/now-in-book-form-the-cardinal-way/article_1c76331b-077e-57aa-9333-86a85b1f5ac2.html

Well there ya go. First time I personally have heard that term. I'm sure my folks have heard it since they still live there.

I was born and raised a Cardinal fan but quickly lost interest in MLB shortly after high school. The season is just too damn long IMO. But my family would be considered diehard fans and don't necessarily deserve the "self righteous" label.

saab2000
06-16-2015, 01:05 PM
Preposterous. Cheating in sports? What? Say isn't so...

Louis
06-16-2015, 01:14 PM
So the Cards are the Patriots of MLB? That's amusing.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CHof0VDUEAAjJVZ.jpg

bobswire
06-16-2015, 01:31 PM
This could be a big deal for an otherwise storied franchise. I am a Cubs fan, so I dislike the Cardinals, but I have always respected how they did business. If this is true, then it will taint the organization and they should be bludgeoned by the League.

http://i57.tinypic.com/sd1aqc.jpg

When I read your post, the first thing I thought of was this t shirt. You don't hear folks using the term "bludgeon" much nowadays. The T shirt is in honor of Jim Tomsula, 49ers new head coach who was the 49ers defensive line coach the past 7 years, he used to use that term when pumping up his lineman on the sidelines during games.

Sorry for the thread drift.

mg2ride
06-16-2015, 01:44 PM
Just in case someone from the FBI checks in on the Paceline to get the pulse of the common man.

I don't care if there is cheating Pro sports. Only work this case after all the other bad guys in the world are in jail.

rugbysecondrow
06-16-2015, 02:01 PM
Just in case someone from the FBI checks in on the Paceline to get the pulse of the common man.

I don't care if there is cheating Pro sports. Only work this case after all the other bad guys in the world are in jail.

I think the issue is the corporate espionage angle of the case. Baseball is big business.

saab2000
06-16-2015, 02:06 PM
I think the issue is the corporate espionage angle of the case. Baseball is big business.

Correct. It's also got an antitrust exemption. Crime in sports is not really different from crime in another business. Just because it's a sport doesn't mean it's not big business.

If Disney or Sony Pictures were investigated it would be serious too even though they 'just' make movies.

makoti
06-16-2015, 02:26 PM
Pretty much unavoidable if you're even peripherally aware that St Louis has a baseball team. Mostly because they beat you over the head with it. There is no more insufferable fanbase than Cardinals fans...[/I]

Psshh! Two words: Red Sox.

mobilemail
06-16-2015, 03:17 PM
I would have expected this out of a Chicago-based team...

Louis
06-16-2015, 10:31 PM
From a Cards forum that I check out every now and then. (I guess the Cardinals currently having the best record in baseball doesn't help the situation - but if they were cheating, apparently they did it well.) Today was a day game, so I guess this guy decided to take this poster to the game.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CHqWwkEUMAAR-DM.jpg

oldpotatoe
06-17-2015, 07:14 AM
Ya ain't tryin:eek: