PDA

View Full Version : Opinions needed (should I ditch the moots stem)

thegunner
06-16-2015, 08:45 AM
on one hand, the moots stem matches everything on my bike.

on the other hand, it's about 1 cm too long and i want to go lower than -6d with it already slammed.

form over function?

yeah, this is about as first world problem-y as it gets, but i could use the opinions of the hive-mind here.

TMB
06-16-2015, 08:48 AM

on the other hand, it's about 1 cm too long and i want to go lower than -6d with it already slammed.

form over function?

yeah, this is about as first world problem-y as it gets, but i could use the opinions of the hive-mind here.

Isn't this your answer?

MattTuck
06-16-2015, 08:49 AM
The most Important thing is for your bike to look good in pictures posted on internet forums. The rest is superfluous.

commonguy001
06-16-2015, 08:57 AM

form over function?

Upside - they hold pretty good value for a stem
Get what works and sell the ti wonder stem OR use it on another bike where it does work.

thegunner
06-16-2015, 09:00 AM
Isn't this your answer?

nah it's only one component, i could get a 100 mm moots stem.

bobswire
06-16-2015, 09:06 AM
The most Important thing is for your bike to look good in pictures posted on internet forums. The rest is superfluous.

True story, I had a moots that I outfitted with moots stem and seat post, very pretty. I posted photos of it before putting back the Thomson bits that were a better fit for me. :cool:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=116342&highlight=Moots+Vamoots

joosttx
06-16-2015, 09:06 AM

form over function?

If it's a 110mm or 120mm stem. You should definitely ditch it and sell it to me.

blessthismess
06-16-2015, 09:17 AM
nah it's only one component, i could get a 100 mm moots stem.

Or if you wanna trade I have a 100mm Moots stem that may be too short, I've got to do some final measurements but PM me if your interested. Regardless I would keep a Moots stem on there. Nothing looks better on one of their frames than a matching post and stem.

oldpotatoe
06-16-2015, 09:20 AM

form over function?

Fit is key, form is way down the list.

thegunner
06-16-2015, 09:23 AM
Or if you wanna trade I have a 100mm Moots stem that may be too short, I've got to do some final measurements but PM me if your interested. Regardless I would keep a Moots stem on there. Nothing looks better on one of their frames than a matching post and stem.

i should have just posted this in the classifieds as a WTT :p lemme know on your measurements.

fa63
06-16-2015, 09:27 AM

form over function?

We need a picture of the said bike :)

blessthismess
06-16-2015, 09:27 AM
i should have just posted this in the classifieds as a WTT :p lemme know on your measurements.

Haha. Yeah I will get back to you tonight after work.

thegunner
06-16-2015, 09:30 AM
We need a picture of the said bike :)

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=147543&highlight=vamoots

it's this one, before i got a moots stem. if i switched, it'd probably go to a deda superleggero

FlashUNC
06-16-2015, 09:57 AM
Just to compound your First World complexities, call Eric Estlund up at Winter and have him make you a custom replacement for your Moots Ti stem.

In for a penny...

Gabuyo
06-16-2015, 11:18 AM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=147543&highlight=vamoots

it's this one, before i got a moots stem. if i switched, it'd probably go to a deda superleggero

I really like my Deda Superleggra. I'm surprised I don't see more of them around because they look way more sleek than other stems IMO.

slidey
06-16-2015, 12:01 PM
Purely my opinion -

Fit is everything. I personally would rather have a frankenbike that fit me well, than a headturner that didn't.

thegunner
06-16-2015, 12:38 PM
Purely my opinion -

Fit is everything. I personally would rather have a frankenbike that fit me well, than a headturner that didn't.

i have a headturner that fits like a glove (i hope so, it was custom), so this is i guess a foregone conclusion.

RobJ
06-16-2015, 01:28 PM
Glad that I am not the only one that worries about these type of problems :)

Since I'm in the process of building up a Moots, I went through the same decision. I am going with an Enve to break up the all-ti look plus I think it shows off the frame more. And I'm putting a Superleggero on my Colnago build so thumbs up on that one..

ERK55
06-16-2015, 03:47 PM
The Superleggera stem is particularly nice for lugged steel frames as they have have a less bulky profile than other alloy, or carbon stems. Some have stated that they are too flexy but I haven't had that experience. But I'm not Peter Sagan either.

thegunner
06-16-2015, 04:21 PM
yeah so my speedvagen has the superleggera painted to match (which i asked for instead of the enve) and i like it on there...

so this is mostly just for fitting, i know i like that stem.

part of me dies a little inside thinking that it might take my moots from like... a 9/10 to an 8.5/10 sigh. #firstworldcyclistproblems

veloduffer
06-16-2015, 04:43 PM
Jim Kish does custom ti stems. I'm sure he could match Moots' finish.

alexstar
06-16-2015, 05:04 PM
Keep the stem and get a handlebar with 1 cm shorter reach.

buddybikes
06-16-2015, 05:11 PM
Life's too short to have a boring stem

happycampyer
06-16-2015, 07:25 PM
The bike looked fine with a black stem. You could get Moots or someone else to make you a custom stem with the length and rise you need, but keep in mind that you'll probably have a harder time selling it down the road if you decide to move on. Stems with a 100mm - 120mm length with a -6º rise are probably the easiest to sell, and will hold their value. If you can find a Deda stem in dark metal polish, the color goes nicely with bead-blasted ti, and iirc they came in -10º and -17º rise, which sound like a better fit for you.

teleguy57
06-17-2015, 12:03 PM
The bike looked fine with a black stem. You could get Moots or someone else to make you a custom stem with the length and rise you need, but keep in mind that you'll probably have a harder time selling it down the road if you decide to move on. Stems with a 100mm - 120mm length with a -6º rise are probably the easiest to sell, and will hold their value. If you can find a Deda stem in dark metal polish, the color goes nicely with bead-blasted ti, and iirc they came in -10º and -17º rise, which sound like a better fit for you.

Good counsel from happycampyer (as always). I have a Thomson black X4 (-10) on my ti Hampsten with a Moots ti post and it's a nice look. I also have a Deda dark metal polish stem (getting pretty hard to find as they've been out of production for a number of years now), and it's not quite a perfect match with my brushed finish.

FWIW, I think the Deda's are -8, not -10.

thegunner
06-17-2015, 12:44 PM
Good counsel from happycampyer (as always). I have a Thomson black X4 (-10) on my ti Hampsten with a Moots ti post and it's a nice look. I also have a Deda dark metal polish stem (getting pretty hard to find as they've been out of production for a number of years now), and it's not quite a perfect match with my brushed finish.

FWIW, I think the Deda's are -8, not -10.

deda says -8, i measured my SL at -10 ;)