PDA

View Full Version : In honor of all the learnin being talked bout...

William
04-28-2006, 06:40 AM
Arrrr, tis not to early to start plannin fer "Talk Like A Pirate Day". Thisen year, ta ern yer Pirate name, ye will haft to pass er written exam....err, yeah, ok multiple choice in honor of our fellow Ol'e Salty (dbrk). Her aren two examples ye can test yer fortitude and general Piratin learnin: What be the Cap'n BBDave instructin here?

1.) "Lift the skin up, and put into the bunt the slack of the clews (not too taut), the leech and foot-rope, and body of the sail; being careful not to let it get forward under or hang down abaft. Then haul your bunt well up on the yard, smoothing the skin and bringing it down well abaft, and make fast the bunt gasket round the mast, and the jigger, if there be one, to the tie. "
A.) General Wenchin activites.

B.) Barkin Sail geometrics.

C.) Instruktin Dirty Jack Ratchem (Beungood) how to keep his britches up.

What be Sir Henry (aka: Long yard-arm by lan lubbin wenches) reffering too?:

2.) If the ship go before the wind, or as they term it, betwixt two sheets, then he who conds uses these terms to him at the helm: larboard, the helm amidships... If the ship go by a wind, or a quarter winds, they say aloof, or keep your loof, or fall not off, wear no more, keep her to, touch the wind, have a care of the lee-latch. all these do imply the same in a manner, are to bid him at the helm to keep her near the wind.
--former pirate Sir Henry Mainwaring (see Harland (1984) p.177)
A.) Burying his "treasure".

B.) Cleaning sheets afta sleeping it off within a bunch of hogs.

D.) Barkin sail geometrics.

Iffen yer feeling shifty, ya may consult the --The Seaman's Manual (1844), for help (ifen your a land lubber).

Ye winner will get a private cruise on Sea Fox Adventures. :banana:

http://www.rpggallery.com/products/prints/CC1_TheSeaFox.jpg

Start ye studying ya buck-toothed barnicles!!!

Bloody William Flint

PS: Ifen ye understand what's been a scribed above....YOU FAIL!!! Any self respectic pirate canten read scriben!!! :butt:

dbrk
04-28-2006, 10:21 AM
Mandatory reading:
http://www.io.com/gibbonsb/articles.html

dbrk
(aka dr. e. maturin y dominova...)

p.s. I read the Articles of War, or portions thereof, on the first day of classes at the University, just to scare the little villians...

Too Tall
04-28-2006, 10:35 AM
I recuse myself because I understood almost every blessed word. Spent many yrs. racing vintage boats for a drunk genius...he yelled alot and sailed a skipjack for Wade Murpy dredged ersters' on a few frozen winter day....never understood a word the cook said....I think he was the orig. of the phrase "mrducks".

sspielman
04-28-2006, 10:48 AM
I recuse myself because I understood almost every blessed word. Spent many yrs. racing vintage boats for a drunk genius...he yelled alot and sailed a skipjack for Wade Murpy dredged ersters' on a few frozen winter day....never understood a word the cook said....I think he was the orig. of the phrase "mrducks".

I have...out of career necessity....become fluent in the language to which you refer....and the proper pronunciation of the word "boat" is "bolt"