PDA

View Full Version : Dawn Dish detergent as solvent

Team Murray
06-14-2015, 10:50 PM
I started using Dawn and brush to clean my chain and cassette. It works really well. I figured if it's used to clean crude oil off ducks, it should clean chains. It's also much cheaper than solvents. Anyone else do this?

Veloo
06-14-2015, 10:54 PM
Yes, for many years now. It's the original blue formula that works best.

cinema
06-14-2015, 10:55 PM
It works great but you have to scrub. like you said you use a brush, it's cheap and good. I like using solvents too sometimes because my hands don't really have to touch the chain at at all. I put it in a can with some spirits or petrol type solvent and just shake for a while. probably a lot more environmental impact doing the latter.

stephenmarklay
06-14-2015, 11:01 PM
I’ve used it. Dollar Tree (if you have them) Awesome cleaner is far stronger and my goto.

However with my chain I use dupont chain lube spray and just spray on a new coat before each ride and wipe it clean. My chains stay clean.

CNY rider
06-15-2015, 05:50 AM
I started using Dawn and brush to clean my chain and cassette. It works really well. I figured if it's used to clean crude oil off ducks, it should clean chains. It's also much cheaper than solvents. Anyone else do this?

Diluted or full strength?

peanutgallery
06-15-2015, 06:16 AM
Great for cleaning rotors and pads, for mineral oil systems it is also great decontaminate. Full strength and a green scrubbee

shovelhd
06-15-2015, 07:15 AM
I wash my bike with it, but use orange cleaner or mineral spirits for the drivetrain.

guido
06-15-2015, 07:20 AM
I use it for bike washing. Use Boeshield T-9 to clean/displace water from the chain. A few drops of NFS and I'm back on the road...

rugbysecondrow
06-15-2015, 07:26 AM
I always thought that a degreaser like dawn was actually bad for the chain because it removes the lubricant which helps it perform well and last longer.

Dawn detergent helps remove permanent marker as well.

Cheers.

cinema
06-15-2015, 08:58 AM
I use it for bike washing. Use Boeshield T-9 to clean/displace water from the chain. A few drops of NFS and I'm back on the road...

i didn't know t9 was a cleaner, akin to wd40. is this true? i use it exclusively for lubing and haven't had any issues with it wearing off quickly like a normal solvent/lubricant combo.

GRAVELBIKE
06-15-2015, 09:34 AM
At a recent SRAM press camp, the NRS guys were using Dawn to clean the bikes. When used with good brushes (http://www.gravelbike.com/?p=4565), it's an inexpensive-yet-effective solution. Once you get a routine in place, you can clean a bike in under ten minutes (and often less than five).

Titanium
06-15-2015, 11:13 AM
My wife ,Dawn cleans my bike sometime.She's tough ,but I would not say she is a solvent!

berserk87
06-15-2015, 11:28 AM
Dawn is one of my favorites. I use it primarily to wash my hands by my utility sink.

Vinci
06-15-2015, 11:51 AM
At a recent SRAM press camp, the NRS guys were using Dawn to clean the bikes. When used with good brushes (http://www.gravelbike.com/?p=4565), it's an inexpensive-yet-effective solution. Once you get a routine in place, you can clean a bike in under ten minutes (and often less than five).
I tried that method for the first time yesterday, but with car soap, instead of Dawn.

It worked really well and took way less time than my usual method.

I may try the Dawn next time, since it's cheaper and more effective on the chain.

thegunner
06-15-2015, 11:57 AM
i didn't know t9 was a cleaner, akin to wd40. is this true? i use it exclusively for lubing and haven't had any issues with it wearing off quickly like a normal solvent/lubricant combo.

it's a lube, but it's a self-cleaning lube, so... yeah. you're fine.

bcroslin
06-15-2015, 12:03 PM
also works great for cleaning dogs with fleas. they really hate it for some reason.