PDA

View Full Version : XTR Shift Cables

Martygarrison
06-14-2015, 03:56 PM
Need some advice here. I run XTR 9 speed drive train and shifters on my Waterford Touring bike. I built the bike up in mid 2011 and have done three week long tours (Vermont, Rockies, DC-NYC) plus some around the town riding here in DC. I am getting ready to ride from Jasper AB to Whitefish MT on a six day tour where the timing will be very tight. I really can't afford to have a cable break on this trip. I have had no trouble with shifting and the bike has always been stored inside. Here is the question, replace the cables before the tour or not?

Thanks!

Marty

Ralph
06-14-2015, 04:19 PM
If in doubt.....replace the wires, and squirt grease (spray can) thru the old housing. That's what I would do anyway.

Gummee
06-14-2015, 06:48 PM
... but do it in time to get the kinks out of the system before you go.

M

pinkshogun
06-14-2015, 06:54 PM
I'd like to see the bike

likebikes
06-14-2015, 07:00 PM
no need to replace the cables.

Martygarrison
06-14-2015, 07:30 PM
Here is a pic of the bike in question.

Ken Robb
06-14-2015, 08:00 PM
I wouldn't want to even THINK about losing a vacation day due to a broken cable, chain, or any other consumable parts. Aren't cables only about $5 each?

bicycletricycle
06-14-2015, 08:17 PM
If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Who's to say the new one wound be faulty or installed incorrectly.

You know the ones that are on there are fine, I would rather stick with a known component.

Compromise

Bring a cable with, coiled up in your bag.

I always bring a chain and some cables and a few 5mm bolts on tour, just in case

bicycletricycle
06-14-2015, 08:17 PM
Also,

Cool bike, looks comfy

Mikej
06-14-2015, 09:41 PM
I ran m970 for years, as long as they are oem shimano xtr I would not worry- I ran mine in the dirt racing - for real. I actually chewed through housings like mad - but I like my smooth - I wouldn't worry about it, that bike looks cherry compared to my mtb- but ocd is ocd - so I can relate. Stuff a cable n your pocket.

guyintense
06-14-2015, 09:47 PM
Inspect the housing leave the cables.

jonnyBgood
06-14-2015, 10:21 PM
I would agree with Bicycletricycle and Guyintense

If you have not had any shifting issues then no need to replace them. Inspect the cables well and bring an extra inner wire and maybe some housing with you.

Sounds like a fun trip. Have a great time :)

oldpotatoe
06-15-2015, 06:50 AM
Need some advice here. I run XTR 9 speed drive train and shifters on my Waterford Touring bike. I built the bike up in mid 2011 and have done three week long tours (Vermont, Rockies, DC-NYC) plus some around the town riding here in DC. I am getting ready to ride from Jasper AB to Whitefish MT on a six day tour where the timing will be very tight. I really can't afford to have a cable break on this trip. I have had no trouble with shifting and the bike has always been stored inside. Here is the question, replace the cables before the tour or not?

Thanks!

Marty

Cables installed 4 years ago? They 'may' be fine but why not change 'em, look the der housing over as well? Check/change the brake cables also, why wouldn't you, considering your 'constraints' while on the ride? 6 day tour..These shifters aren't known to eat cables but 7800/6600 are..and they work great, until they don't.

Gummee
06-15-2015, 07:20 AM
If you don't listen to me, at least listen to OldPotatoe.

New cables and housing are cheap insurance against something ruining your vacation.

...just do it soon enough to work the kinks out (housing compression, etc) before the trip.

M

Davist
06-15-2015, 08:08 AM
I'd say take a spare, and don't fix what isn't broken.

I'm in the "mission critical" industry, and we find reliability decreases with preventive maintenance (especially with UPS/battery back up systems). In WWII, famously, the US Army air corps (USAF now) decreased maintenance on airplanes something like 40% and saw reliability go up. Another counter intuitive thing.

elong8
06-15-2015, 08:46 PM
I would not replace the cables unless there's some sign of wear or change. Those are the top of the line (of their day) cables/components. I'm ising that cable set with a 7700 group and it all works like new after thousands of miles.

CiclistiCliff
06-15-2015, 10:04 PM
Housing compresses more than cables stretch, so why not just throw new cables?

That's what I would do, or at the very least carry an extra pair of cables, both brake and derailleur.