PDA

View Full Version : Hit today.

vaxn8r
04-27-2006, 09:33 PM
Well, it's been a long time but I was hit today riding through town. I was in the right lane, actually a real bike lane going about low 20's, sedan ahead slowed and turned right into a parking lot except we collided. Fortunately I was totally ready for the imbecile to make his move. I was yelling pretty loud. I don't think he saw me until he hit me. It felt like slow motion and I didn't really even feel it. The car hit my right calf with it's bumper. I somehow jumped/bumped laterally about 2-3 feet or so, not really sure...just literally bounced off and I never lost my stride and kept going as I turned to yell an obscenity. He just sat there and looked at me.

Another driver pulled up next to me on the same road and asked how bad I was hit and I told him I was OK and he said "you were right!"

Close call.

Len J
04-27-2006, 09:37 PM
glad it worked out this way......you used a life man.

Len

Fixed
04-27-2006, 09:38 PM
bro your lucky and skilled.. that helps luck i.m.h.o.
cheers

bostondrunk
04-27-2006, 09:39 PM
Well, it's been a long time but I was hit today riding through town. I was in the right lane, actually a real bike lane going about low 20's, sedan ahead slowed and turned right into a parking lot except we collided. Fortunately I was totally ready for the imbecile to make his move. I was yelling pretty loud. I don't think he saw me until he hit me. It felt like slow motion and I didn't really even feel it. The car hit my right calf with it's bumper. I somehow jumped/bumped laterally about 2-3 feet or so, not really sure...just literally bounced off and I never lost my stride and kept going as I turned to yell an obscenity. He just sat there and looked at me.

Another driver pulled up next to me on the same road and asked how bad I was hit and I told him I was OK and he said "you were right!"

Close call.

bro, as long as you didn't damage the calfee, all is good

gasman
04-27-2006, 09:47 PM
Glad your OK buddy.

You must not be home or not answering the phone, maybe hooked on the forum.

Keith A
04-27-2006, 09:47 PM
Whew, that was a close call and am glad to hear that you escaped without any injuries!

Ginger
04-27-2006, 09:53 PM
Good on ya for being able to keep it up.

Glad to hear you made it out ok.

Sandy
04-27-2006, 10:08 PM
Fortunately it seems like you had excellent anticipation of what he was going to do, and somehow you used your cycling and physical abilities to basically come out uninjured. Maybe a little luck too. Glad that you were not hurt.

Sandy

ludedude
04-27-2006, 10:31 PM

Close call.

hmm... is it just me or that many people on this forum are getting tangled in car related incidents recently? :eek:

Climb01742
04-28-2006, 04:09 AM
vax, very glad it wasn't worse. sometimes i feel...which is crazier...to ride or not to ride? as they used to say on hill street blues...be safe out there.

William
04-28-2006, 05:16 AM
Good anticipation and skills...always assume they don't see you and that they will be boneheads.

Happy you're ok Vax. :beer:

William

znfdl
04-28-2006, 05:45 AM
glad you made it thorugh the episode unscathed.

Kevin
04-28-2006, 05:47 AM
Glad you are ok.

Kevin

Too Tall
04-28-2006, 06:10 AM
PHEW! Quick buy two lottery tickets.

ERDR
04-28-2006, 06:34 AM
glad to hear you're alright. isn't it odd how it is all seems in slow motion, just like you said. i still remember flyin thru the air and sliding down the road as if it took several minutes, not seconds.
the one good thing that comes from these incidents, it renews your awareness for the oblivious drivers that sometimes seem as if they are out to get you.
s.

rpm
04-28-2006, 09:31 AM
Bro, you get an A+ for vigilance. Luck had little to do with it. Getting cut off in right turns is always a worry for me, particularly on downhills, because drivers underestimate your speed. Your driver was probably used to assuming bikes are going 10-15 mph while you were actually doing 20+. Left turners are less of a problem because you can look them in the eyes, or even point at them, as I sometimes do. But right turners come right up behind you and whip around before you know it. Unless, you're prepared as you were. Good job.

bcm119
04-28-2006, 10:35 AM
Good to hear you're okay Vax. Lucky he hit your calf, he probably has bumper damage. I saw that thread title and immediately thought, there goes any chance of riding mckenzie this summer... I hear that theres a 10 day window right after the snow melts but before its open to cars when they let cyclists ride it, car-free?
You have to be extra careful this time of year, because the sun is out and the college girls are wearing less clothes, so most male drivers in town aren't paying attention to the road, or cyclists. At least thats how it is up here, but I hear most of the Ducks women are missing a tooth or two. ;)

vaxn8r
04-28-2006, 02:57 PM
Thanks everybody. I've done a lot of city riding over the years which undoubtedly helped in this case. I truly appreciate all the nice thoughts.