PDA

View Full Version : I can't control my bike and need help Please

Sandy
04-27-2006, 08:27 PM
Cycling is a passion of mine. It has brought me much happiness and satisfaction, some truly wonderful friends, and the Serotta forum through which I am able to interact with some genuinely exceptional people. I appreciate greatly my involvement with cycling and I do not want to lose the ability to ride my bike.

Last Sunday I went on a ride with Smiley. I had a great deal of difficulty in controlling my bike, so much so that I was not able to ride in a straight line. Smiley could even easily notice that my arms were shaking.

After Smiley determined that is was me and not the bike, he and I, with another friend, started to ride together again. The problem was just as pronounced as before. After moving the saddle forward approximately 1.5 cm (it had slid back as it has done before), the problem seemed to disappear for most of the ride. However, towards the end of the ride, I started to notice it again, but not as pronounced as before.

On Tuesday I rode my bike in the neighborhood some, and the problem was much more pronounced. Yesterday, I tried another ride and had similar type problems in controlling the bike. I did not give up and continued to ride. However, when I got near traffic ( which never phases me), I became very anxious and simply rode home, as I had no confidence in controlling the bike in the traffic.

Today I tried a very short ride and the problem was very pronouced and I simply could not make the bike track straight. I tried my CSI and had the identical problem.

I have an energy problem, as does my identical twin brother. I take Paxil and Lamictal for the problem. I am presently taking 300 mg of the Lamictal. My brother was taking less. He noted that he was stumbling some, so he, with his doctor's permission, cut the amount that he was taking, in half. he thinks that it has helped him. I do feel that I am sometimes not so steady or stable myself in my home.

There are 2 club rides tomorrow, a friend wants to ride with me on Saturday, and I am suppose to ride with Smiley and Rapid T on Sunday morning, plus a ride that I am suppose to lead on Sunday later in the day. I will not do any of the rides with the exception of possibly the Smiley/Rapid T ride, as I am simply unable to control my bike adequately and safely.

I have an appointment with a neurologist in a couple of weeks. I do not want to lose the ability to ride my bike. That would be a great loss to me. I am grossly overweight, and am drained often, but those situations are trumped greatly by my inability to control my bike and ride in a straight line.

I would genuinely appreciate any help in this matter.

Sincere thanks for any input.

Ginger
04-27-2006, 08:41 PM
Sandy,
First: I hope it is a passing issue.

Second: Ride a trainer indoors so that you keep up your fitness. Look at it as a temporary situation and it won't be so bad. Really.

Good luck Sandy.
Mary Ann

PS...I thought the fit adjustment helped before?

Sandy
04-27-2006, 09:00 PM
Thanks so much for your interest. The one thing that I don't understand is that when the saddle was moved forward, the problem seemed to totally disappear for most of the ride. I don't understand how that happened one day with such a pronounced change a few days later. In addition, the saddle has slid back several times in the past, and I had absolutely no problems in controlling the bike.

Thanks. You are a caring lady. I knew that before.

Sandy

H.Frank Beshear
04-27-2006, 09:01 PM
What Ginger says. Take care of yourself, friend. See a doc to see if a med change will help. Keep us informed Frank

Ginger
04-27-2006, 09:02 PM
Did you check to see if the saddle slid back again?

Sandy
04-27-2006, 09:04 PM
You are very smart. The saddle did not slide back again. I have the problem with both my Ottrott and my CSI.

Sandy

Ginger
04-27-2006, 09:08 PM
Just trying to inject a little levity Sandy my friend. :)

oldguy00
04-27-2006, 09:13 PM
Thanks so much for your interest. The one thing that I don't understand is that when the saddle was moved forward, the problem seemed to totally disappear for most of the ride. I don't understand how that happened one day with such a pronounced change a few days later. In addition, the saddle has slid back several times in the past, and I had absolutely no problems in controlling the bike.

Thanks. You are a caring lady. I knew that before.

Sandy

My guess is that it is a combination of the drugs, and your mind. Drugs are making you shaky. When you moved the saddle foreward, you *believed* it might help so it did, but eventually the problem with the drugs came back. Hopefully your neuro can help you adjust your dosages. Hope it works out for you.

Louis
04-27-2006, 09:25 PM
Sandy,

I'm not a doctor, or in any way associated with medicine, but at work I do help design experiments and tests (on hardware, not people). Have you tried any on yourself? For example, extending your arms out in front of you and seeing if your hands seem to shake more than what might seem "normal"? Or doing the same thing while holding a light weight, like a book?

Best of luck with the diagnosis and the cure, whether it be bike related, or body related.

Louis

Sandy
04-27-2006, 09:29 PM
My guess is that it is a combination of the drugs, and your mind. Drugs are making you shaky. When you moved the saddle foreward, you *believed* it might help so it did, but eventually the problem with the drugs came back. Hopefully your neuro can help you adjust your dosages. Hope it works out for you.

Another insightful person. You make a great deal of sense. The placebo effect. The only problem with that scenario is that I really didn't expect the improvement and it was a truly remarkable, with absolutely no control problems, as if a genuine transformation in my riding had occurred.

I do realize that I am constantly focusing on the issue and that undoubtedly makes it worse, but the problem does exist. I don't understand why it disappeared so dramatically for a short while.

Thanks for the input.

Sandy

Len J
04-27-2006, 09:30 PM
What Ginger says. Take care of yourself, friend. See a doc to see if a med change will help. Keep us informed Frank

Good advice so far........sounds like you are taking the right steps (including not denying it).

Good luck man.

Len

PS..any chance that you are so hyper vigilant at this point that you are both "clutching" and over cautious and hence making the problem worse? If yes, try riding in uncluttered area with no other bikers and just concentrate on relaxing....(You know, get out of your own way)....just a thought.

dbrk
04-27-2006, 09:33 PM
Sandy,
This is disappointing news because we thought you'd solved the issue with something as simple as a saddle adjustment and because your health is paramount. With that too comes the joy cycling brings you.

See a Doc SOON, as soon as you can and get a second opinion too. I know neurologists in Philadelphia that might be close to you. Fine physcians. If I can be of any help, it goes without having to say anything further.

You are so much appreciated and have friends you still haven't even met, so please take care and seek out the right help. We'll be here and on the road with you.

yerpal,

dbrk

Johny
04-27-2006, 09:35 PM
I have the problem with both my Ottrott and my CSI.

Stop it Sandy. We know you want a MeiVici.

P.S. Have you consulted Dr. Doofus?

P.P.S. You know I'm joking. Get well soon!

oldguy00
04-27-2006, 09:37 PM
The only problem with that scenario is that I really didn't expect the improvement and it was a truly remarkable, with absolutely no control problems, as if a genuine transformation in my riding had occurred.

Sandy

Don't be fooled, the -subconcious- mind is very powerful. That said, I suppose it is possible that the change in position did have a temporary effect on how your muscles were reacting.....but again, eventually it adapted and went back to the same problem.

Keith A
04-27-2006, 09:44 PM
Sandy -- I do indeed hope you are able to get this resolved very soon. I did have one thought to add -- do you have a mountain bike? Or could you borrow on for a little while? This would give you something much more stable to ride (if it is safe for you do so) while you are working out the problem with your doctor.

Take care of yourself!

Sandy
04-27-2006, 10:58 PM
Stop it Sandy. We know you want a MeiVici.

P.S. Have you consulted Dr. Doofus?

P.P.S. You know I'm joking. Get well soon!

Stop it Johny. If I got a MeiVici, I wouldn't be able to afford the neurologist. :) :)

Sandy

PS- I consulted Dr. D. He scared me as he wanted to do a frontal lobotomy or two or three. :D

Johny
04-28-2006, 01:15 AM
Stop it Johny. If I got a MeiVici, I wouldn't be able to afford the neurologist. :) :)

Sandy

PS- I consulted Dr. D. He scared me as he wanted to do a frontal lobotomy or two or three. :D

Stop being Silly Sandy. First you sue Dr. D for malpractice. Then you can afford the real neurologist and two MeiVici's: one for each of us. High five!

P.S. Dr. D performed a lot of lobotomies on lobsters. Yummy!!!

alancw3
04-28-2006, 03:53 AM
both the mountain bike and the trainer are great suggestions to keep fit until you resolve this problem. i have friends on medications and for whatever reason sometimes they have to make dosage and/or outright medicine changes because of similiar sensations. let's hope that is the case. in the mean time take care and have a speedy recovery.

William
04-28-2006, 05:23 AM
Rhea Basset loves you Sandy! XOXOXO :banana:

BaaWoo!!
BaaWoo!!

William

Ray
04-28-2006, 06:18 AM
No pressure Sandy, but you MUST get this resolved prior to Notrott for the ride up and down the Washington Monument. Otherwise, we Spectrum folks will see it as nothing more than a ruse to avoid the 5 mile challenge.

Seriously - I hope it's nothing or very close to nothing and you get it solved soon.

Be well,

-Ray

cydewaze
04-28-2006, 07:14 AM
I have a small collection of mountain bikes and I live in MD. I'd be willing to loan one out, if any of them are the right size.

PBWrench
04-28-2006, 08:42 AM
Sandy -- I have a great deal of empathy for your situation. Over the last year, I've been grounded by a pelvic fracture and more recently by pneumonia. Another thought, short of the mountain bike option, would be to ride a cyclocross rig. This would give you the advantage of road bike geometry, road bars to your liking but the option of 32 or 35 tires. You'll find this ride softer and more forgiving, but you won't have to forgo the familiarity and basic "feel" of your road bikes. Good luck!!!

bulliedawg
04-28-2006, 08:50 AM
Sandy:

As you know I haven't been around much since the birth of my son, but I feel the need to respond, because you have been here since the beginning, and because you are a fine gentleman.

I have never seen you in person, but I am wondering about core strength and upper body/shoulders strength. I know that it's difficult to find the time in our busy lives, but I am wondering if you should take about ten minutes a day to work on shoulder and pectoral muscle strength in order to add stability.

In any case, I hope that the issue gets resolved, and that it can be corrected.

stevep
04-28-2006, 09:01 AM
ear infection.
hope its this. easy to clear up.

victoryfactory
04-28-2006, 09:11 AM
Sandy;

I hope your problem is partly aggravated by your frustration at trying
to solve it.
If this is the case, you might try my father's trick which he taught me
40+ years ago when he was "teaching" me how to drive:

Focus your gaze up the road, not right in front of you. This smoothes out
your line, prevents over steering.

I hope this passes soon, but FWIW, my intuition sez you may just need to
adjust your meds to keep up with your increased spring riding schedule.

Best wishes;
VF

Kevan
04-28-2006, 09:47 AM
Sandy,

See if you can get to your dr. sooner. Maybe he'll have an appointment cancellation that you can take; I would broader this situation as an emergency. I would stay off the bike until you have this issue resolved, if indeed the problem is with you and your medication. I know you wouldn't want to cause anyone harm in a club ride if you are having a problem holding your line.

Wish I could poke some fun at you, but this situation isn't funny. Do know I wish you all the best. I'll be trying to get down to D.C. for the Nottrott ride, but now my work is threatening to get in the way of it all.

See! A glimmer of hope!

Sandy
04-28-2006, 09:53 AM
I wouldn't go on a club ride because of the very reason that you have mentioned. The only reason that I said that I might ride with Smiley and Rapid T this weekend is that hopefully by that time I would feel a little better. If I did ride with them, I would be very careful and stay away from them during the ride.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Sandy

Sandy
04-28-2006, 09:55 AM
I have a small collection of mountain bikes and I live in MD. I'd be willing to loan one out, if any of them are the right size.

Very kind of you. At this point, I want to see if I can resolve the problem.

Thanks.

Sandy

Dave
04-28-2006, 10:05 AM
I didn't post on your previous thread, but from your description, it certainly sound like a physical problem and not a fit problem. I've experimented with saddle positions ranging from very far back to quite a bit forward, all on the same bike and never induced a handling problem. The bike will handle differently when the weight balance changes, but it takes some extreme high speed cornering to bring out the subtle difference. Ordinarly crusing down th road shouldn't reveal any difference.

I do keep the reach and drop in a fairly narrow range when experimenting with saddle position.

I've had a saddle rail clamp loosen and move the saddle all the way back on a 35mm setback post and all it did for me was make the reach to the bars excessive.

Hope you figure out the physical problem. It's no fun not being able to ride.

bironi
04-28-2006, 10:55 AM
Sandy,

I am curious about this bike handling issue. I sounds similar to how a bike shimmies when the rider is very cold and shivering. The shivering is transfered to the handlebars, and often times the rider thinks something is wrong with the bike. You might try riding a bit in a safe area hands free, if this is something you are comfortable doing.

Regardless, I hope you have it sorted out shortly, and are back enjoying yourself on the road.

Byron

CalfeeFly
04-28-2006, 11:30 AM
Sandy as you know we share much.

I haven't even been out of the house since Saturday because of liver problems. No doubt they are brought on by all my meds. Now they can't figure it all out.

My suggestion in addition to the others is to start to do some indepth research using Google on your meds and problems. It can be helpful to find out information not told to you or possibly not known since it does not happen a lot.

I've learned that meds have so many unwanted side effects that I am not taking anything until I research it carefully. The state of medicine today is such that things get by not through a lack of caring but the system itself. Too many patients and too much insurance crap.

Read all about your stuff including levels of medication. Then talk with the doctors.

I have one left to get rid of but due to a short half life it takes some time. Then I am down to Synthroid which I need (no thyroid) and something for high blood pressure that I hope to wean off of as soon as other things get done. I tried recently and it went up too high.

The one left causes weight gain (that could be part of your problem) so when I nuke it I hope to lose some weight that will help. Plus with the Lords help I'll be riding. Today is my first shot since last Thursday. I've mostly slept 20 hours a day. My waking time has been here with my trusty computer. It is my last link to the bike.

Good luck and take care. Don't forget knowledge is power so go and get some.

Serpico
04-28-2006, 12:14 PM
damn, this has me a bit worried Sandy :o please talk with a DOCTOR, anyone here is just guessing

I will post some dog pics when I get a chance (yesterday was Sandy Dog Pic Wednesday--but it was too late when I remembered :crap: )

djg
04-28-2006, 12:55 PM
I wish you well with this. We can conjecture about all sorts of things. This may or may not have to do with a drug reaction or a drug interaction; if so, a dosage adjustment (or change in form of dosing) may address it or a change in meds may address it. Also: Low blood sugar can do funny things to your perception and/or your muscle control and/or your sense of equilibrium (balance, proprioception, etc.). Also: A sinus infection or a problem with your ear (incl. middle and inner) can compromise your balance. Or another infection, or ... all sorts of things. It seems to me that the thing to do is to look into it with some care, under appropriate (and direct) medical supervision--this may well be something, but if so it may well be any of a number of things and you don't win much by having us guess. As for the bike: tire pressure and a loose this or that can have funny, and surprisingly striking effect, but maybe the thing to do is not to sweat a few missed rides while you look into your health. Your friends will still ride with you in a few weeks time. If you feel genuinely usnure of yourself or unwell, take it easy first and worry about the miles second, or ninth. If you are insecure but crave a bit of a workout, the trainer suggestion that you already got seemed good to me. And if your body tells you to back off, listen. Again, the best of luck with this--it really may be something entirely minor and subject to easy repair, but there's no sense falling off the bike in the meantime. Enough of the ramble: see a doc or two, take it easy in the meantime, and keep us posted.

NateM
04-28-2006, 12:56 PM
Sandy,
Calfee Fly posted some good advice,more research on the meds.I personally would not ride with this condition.Falling will just complicate things.Call your Dr. and insist on an appointment and dont drive a car either.I live with Type 1 diabetes and a Dilantin controlled seizure disorder.If I dont feel well on the bike I walk.Your body and mind are trying to tell you something.Get better soon,NateM

Kahuna
04-28-2006, 02:03 PM
Sandy, All good advice presented here. CalfeeFly's suggestion to research the meds and their side effects is key, as is seeking advice from one or more physicians. I'm a big advocate of second opinions. It's amazing what you can learn by research.

In addition to these things (emphasis on the words "in addition), you may also want to consult with a nutritionist that specializes in metabolism and energy. In the last year I radically changed my diet to include a wide variety of organic leafy greens and other veggies and have been taking supplements that include pharma grade fish oils, vitamin E, multi-Bs, niacin, pantathoic acid and others. I drink smoothies made from unsweetened almond milk that include whey protein, lecithin, L-glutamine, berries and/or pure unsweetened acai.

I've dramatically reduced my carb and sugar intake making sure most if not all the carbs I eat are of the whole grain, low glycemic index variety. That means almost no potatos. I no longer snack on carbs after dinner. If anything I might have some walnuts or almonds.

I eat lots of wild salmon and other fish, omega eggs (that's right, eggs). I consume red meat in moderation (i.e. no more than once a week) and that's generally true with other meats as well.

Of course everyone's situation is different. I'm not recommending my diet to anyone else but only cite it as an example of something that's helped me loose weight, reduce my total cholesterol and blood triglyceride levels, improve my HDL to LDL ratio, normalize my digestion, and most importantly, improve my focus and energy throughout the whole day. I sleep better at night as well. That plus training on the bike has made me feel better (now 47 years old) than ever before.

I'm hoping that you too can find a solution that works well for you whether it's through medicine, nutrition, or a combination of both.

Take care and keep us posted.

-K

Fixed
04-28-2006, 02:23 PM
bro i wish the best for you I know what it's like to be sick and not able to ride .don't worry about riding till you feel better bro .i.m.h.o.

Needs Help
04-29-2006, 12:17 AM
an example of something that's helped improve ... my HDL to LDL ratio,
Do any of those things in your diet specifically target that?

Sandy
04-29-2006, 06:01 AM
Thanks everyone for your insightful suggestions. I know the best thing to do is simply not ride and just start all over again when I am able to ride again (hopefully). I think that I will go to the shelter and walk some dogs.

I have an appoitment with a neurologist on Wednesday. Spectrum Bob told me about a second neurologist, who rides a Spectrum, who Bob really likes as a doctor and person. I am going to make an appointment to see him also. I think a second opinion makes a great deal of sense (as dbrk said before).

Seems like a wonderful weekend. Hope that all of you go on one or more safe and super enjoyable rides!

Sad Sandy

CalfeeFly
04-30-2006, 12:25 PM
Don't worry about a little time off. I was so sick from last Saturday to Friday I was in bed most of the time. I slept 16 to 20 hours a day. Although I'm still not right that rest which is when you heal best did a great deal for me. Now for the liver specialist for me on Tuesday. All the best with the neurologist.