PDA

View Full Version : Second wheelset for Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross

rohan
06-13-2015, 06:55 PM
I just bought a Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross on the forum, and I would love your advice on a second wheelset, one with road tires and one with the Bruce Gordon Rock n' Roads that came with the bike.

The bike is currently set up as a 7-speed, and lack of available funds mean that I am likely going to keep it that way. The current front wheel is a Mavic MA-40 rim with a Dura Ace hub. The rear wheel is a Mavic Open 4 CD rim with an American Classic 7-speed mountain freewheel hub. Rear hub and rear spacing are 130mm.

What should my second wheelset look like? What should my second set of tires be? My riding is likely to be commuting, bike camping, and touring, with some trails and winter riding. Does it make sense to have 8/9/10-speed wheels built with a 7-speed cassette and 4.5mm spacer? My price point is $300-350.

choke
06-13-2015, 07:06 PM
Ideally you want a rear hub that has the same spacing as your current one, otherwise you're going to have to adjust the derailleur every time you swap wheels.

As for tires, a lot depends on the terrain/surface where you ride so it's hard to give a definitive answer. Paselas work well on different surfaces and are pretty inexpensive but there are loads of options; Gravel Kings, Compass, Vittoria Pave, Veloflex, etc.

jr59
06-13-2015, 07:33 PM
If your funds are lacking, why not just buy another set of tires?

Sure a whole new to you set of wheels sounds great, but changing the tires on your old hoops would be a lot cheaper.

Again if you are looking for best bang for the buck, Paselas, Rimbo. and Gatorskins all wear tough, and are long lasting, but give up a bit in ride.

rohan
06-13-2015, 07:41 PM
I updated my first post. The American Classic 7-speed rear hub is an old mountain bike hub so it is 130mm spacing.

fourflys
06-13-2015, 07:51 PM
Give a call to Mike at Black Mountain Cycles... He builds a mean wheel and not too expensive.

http://www.blackmtncycles.com/p/custom-wheels.html

donevwil
06-13-2015, 11:19 PM
Give a call to Mike at Black Mountain Cycles... He builds a mean wheel and not too expensive.

http://www.blackmtncycles.com/p/custom-wheels.html

Ditto, Mike builds an excellent wheel and certainly has the knowledge and experience to address your 7 vs 9, 10, 11 desires. He's my goto mech.

That said I'm a fan of TB-14s, but if your a lightweight you may look at Pacenti's options.

rohan
06-14-2015, 11:21 AM
I'd be glad to give Mike a call, but I'll likely build these locally to give a friend some business.

Considering I don't think Mavic Open 4 CDs will cut it for loaded touring, I'll likely need a new wheelset anyway.

I am happy H Plus Son TB14 rims were mentioned; they seem like a good fit.

donevwil
06-14-2015, 12:46 PM
I am happy H Plus Son TB14 rims were mentioned; they seem like a good fit.

They are heavy (relatively), but strong and very vertically forgiving/compliant. I have two sets, one 36 f&r and one 32 f&r tied and soldered. These are my favorite wheelsets competing with my HED Ardennes, HED Belgium Plus on Campy and Archetypes on WI. I don't race anymore so ride comfort and lateral stiffness, reliability and durability take precedence over weight and aero.

I do recommend using tubeless tape as the interior is very shallow and can make tire mounting difficult with thicker strips, or near impossible with Velox and tight tires. I also recommend making sure the builder does a final true with tires installed as both of my sets de-tensioned noticeably after tire install.