PDA

View Full Version : Distance sensor to measure "3 foot law" violations

HenryA
06-13-2015, 10:05 AM
I think this might just get some folks attention:

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2015/06/police-use-ultrasonic-device-to-make-sure-drivers-stay-3-feet-from-cyclists/

Obviously we're not all installing distance sensor arrangements on our bikes, but who knows where this might lead? Perhaps an officer who can testify from his training what 3 feet looks like? And that he saw the violation occur in his presence?

I may be one a handful of people who have seen a "3 foot law" trial in Tennessee. (an actual trial) The car driver won because her attorney simply out-lawyered the state, (proving once again that preparation is key). The state could not prove the distance by the victim's testimony, even though there were a half dozen of them.

christian
06-13-2015, 10:55 AM
I imagine a horizontal, somewhat flexible 3-foot PVC pole with a carbide-tip tire stud on the end attached to your rear rack would be the best evidence generator. Paint it orange and hang a little pennant off the end and call it a safety flag.

If anyone encroaches on your 3 foot zone, there'll be obvious evidence on their car.

shovelhd
06-13-2015, 10:59 AM
We have a few commuters around here that use poles like that. I think it's suicidal.

christian
06-13-2015, 11:27 AM
They were pretty much mandatory on bikes when I was a kid in Sweden, looking like this:

http://www.cykelkraft.se/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/74bba6f65adf875ca0644363d646988a/d/2/d2405.jpg

An amusing post I read on another forum once said, "Adult users of the safety flag were usually somewhat unique individuals - music teachers, ornithologists, or similar tree huggers." That about sums it up for me. Still, tempting. Especially for my tandem with the kids.

Steve in SLO
06-13-2015, 12:33 PM

572cv
06-13-2015, 02:58 PM
My idea from a while back was to make up a three foot long 'antenna' which has a little coil at the end that could cradle a tube of lipstick. The car or truck that came too close would be readily identifiable, but there wouldn't be any property damage to complain about. A little kiss for the miscreant driver......:p

Seramount
06-13-2015, 03:00 PM
Austin has had a 3-ft ordinance for quite a while now and I'd be shocked if a citation has ever been issued.

I have yet to talk to a motorist who's a not a cyclist that has ever heard of it.

if the device helps educate drivers, that's fine...but, it seems like trying to empty a swimming pool with a teaspoon.

seems like PSAs would be far more effective.

and riding around with a 3-ft pole on my bike is never going to happen...effin stupid idea.

bcroslin
06-13-2015, 03:44 PM
I called the cops on a redneck in a truck that tried to run a group of us off the road while screaming obscenities at us a few years back. A cop showed up and even though the redneck admitted to being "2 feet" away the officer refused to file a report. The cop was incredulous that I had even called (I actually kept several people from beating the redneck half to death) and made some statement along the lines of "what do you want me to do, hang around with a measuring tape?!" I responded YES! It was only after I compared the redneck's truck with a loaded gun did the cop grudgingly tell me he would file a report. The law is only as good as the person sworn to uphold it.