PDA

View Full Version : How to Determine if Freewheel is not Dragging

Splash
06-12-2015, 06:52 PM
How to determine this on a CK R45 rear hub?

Splash

Cicli
06-12-2015, 07:01 PM
Does it try to push the crank forward when coasting?
I fixed one that the complaint was the chain would slap the chainstay when the rider first let up on pedaling.

Splash
06-12-2015, 07:15 PM
Thanks.

Don't know the answer to your question yet - but will look out for it when next i ride.

Is there a way to determine this without riding and just picking up the bike and spinning the wheel?

Also, how can i tell if wheel bearings undergo unwanted side loadings as the spindle is compressed form skewer tightening?

Splash

Dead Man
06-12-2015, 07:20 PM
With the bike on the stand, if you spin up the wheel and backpedal, your rear der jockeys will bounce. If it's really bad, the freehub will even drag the cranks pretty hard

Splash
06-12-2015, 07:31 PM
Thanks

Does skewer compression affect freewheel action?

Splash

parallelfish
06-12-2015, 10:33 PM
Do you think you have a problem?

CK hubs typically have a bit of drag from the seals when new. This decreases as they break in, but it takes a while. Also need to check the bearing adjustment frequently when new, and adjust accordingly. All of this is covered in detail on the CK website, and in the owners manual.

If you are spinning the wheels, or the freewheel by hand, and thinking they are not spinning freely enough - it is not a very useful evaluation of how the hub performs under load.

OtayBW
06-13-2015, 05:53 AM
Do you think you have a problem?I can't say, but I suspect the best course of action is probably to 'ride more, think less'. :rolleyes:

oldpotatoe
06-13-2015, 05:59 AM
Thanks.

Don't know the answer to your question yet - but will look out for it when next i ride.

1)Is there a way to determine this without riding and just picking up the bike and spinning the wheel?

2)Also, how can i tell if wheel bearings undergo unwanted side loadings as the spindle is compressed form skewer tightening?

Splash

1)Bike in stand, pedal bike, let go of pedal..does the spinning wheel turn the crankset? FH drag.

2)Adjust the rear wheel so you have just a little play in wheel in bike..take out and tighten hub bearings a RCH..then put back in frame and check for no play. PM for what a RCH is and I hope you are a guy.

Splash
06-13-2015, 06:02 AM
Thanks guys.

Will play.

Yep _ I'm a guy :-)

SPLash

oldpotatoe
06-13-2015, 06:21 AM
Thanks guys.

Will play.

Yep _ I'm a guy :-)

SPLash

well, red hair is the thinnest hair of all the colors.

dcama5
06-13-2015, 06:39 AM
well, red hair is the thinnest hair of all the colors.

Oh my God, I get it now. Actually, I have heard this before somewhere way back. Good advice though with this:

"Bike in stand, pedal bike, let go of pedal..does the spinning wheel turn the crankset? FH drag."

moobikes
06-13-2015, 11:13 AM
With CK hubs, adjusting hub bearings has little effect on the freehub drag. The freehub mechanism and the hub seals create a bit of drag even if the bearings are perfectly adjusted.

With your bike in the stand, turn the cranks and let it freewheel. If the chain over the top of the chainstays bow down a bit that's the drag showing. The cranks might not turn. If the cranks are turning because of the drag, it's really bad.