PDA

View Full Version : For the wheel builders, Park tension meter

oldpotatoe
06-12-2015, 08:01 AM
Well, I did it again, dropped my DT dial tension meter so off to DT in Grand Junction it goes for a re-calibration BUT. I'm doing so many wheels, I guess I need a spare tension meter while the DT is away. Anybody have an opinion on the Park one? Never even seen one but it 'may' serve well as a temp. backup.

Also looking for a Wheelsmith one. Have used those but pretty scarce.

And yes, I insist on using a tension meter, as any decent wheelbuilder, should.

Grazie

guido
06-12-2015, 08:10 AM
The Park tension meter seems to give consistent results. It is rugged and it is easy to use. It seems like it would be a decent backup while the DT unit is off getting repaired...

ergott
06-12-2015, 08:15 AM
I think the Park would be fine for backup (have one myself). For the future, compare your DT results to the Park and take some notes so you have a direct comparison to the better tensiometer. From there you can easily use the Park for a while.

Reminds me I should do that while my FSA is still in great working order.

pbarry
06-12-2015, 09:42 AM
I have a Wheelsmith unit you are welcome to borrow.

oldpotatoe
06-12-2015, 09:46 AM
I have a Wheelsmith unit you are welcome to borrow.

Many thanks but looking for a permanent spare. I'll get the DT one back probably next Wednesday. I'm bidding on a WS one that is in Louisville, strangely enough.

Let me know when you have the rims and I'll come get the 'stuff'.

Mark McM
06-12-2015, 10:08 AM
I can't vouch for the absolute accuracy of the Park tension meter (not having a reference to measure it against), but it does appear to give repeatable results. I find it more repeatable than the Wheelsmith tension meter, particularly on non-round spokes. The calibration chart for the Park tension meter also includes more spoke types than the Wheelsmith tension meter does.

PaulE
06-12-2015, 11:28 AM
and find it to work well. But I have only built 3 sets of wheels. I think for the expert wheelbuilders the important thing would be a consistent measurement, and this tool does that.

To be snarky I seem to recall that Dutch fancy carbon wheel manufacturer/builder whose first name was Cees, who used to frequent this forum, said these devices measure deflection, not tension, but it is the best you can do and assuming the spokes are the same, the deflection is a good proxy.

staggerwing
06-12-2015, 11:57 AM
To be snarky I seem to recall that Dutch fancy carbon wheel manufacturer/builder whose first name was Cees, who used to frequent this forum, said these devices measure deflection, not tension, but it is the best you can do and assuming the spokes are the same, the deflection is a good proxy.

Snarky?

That is simply engineering first principles. F=kx.

Even my pricey, calibrated 'load cells' generate a signal proportional to the very small deformations of the load cell structure; as converted by a grouping of strain gauges bonded to strategic locations.

Also, the Park is fine. Wouldn't hurt to cross-correlate to a known good tension meter. Offset, but not slope, can be adjusted on the Park.

nate2351
06-12-2015, 12:28 PM
I use a DT at the shop and a Park at home. I've built numerous wheels at home using the park with great results. I agree that a Wheelsmith would be the best option for a backup but Park will work if you choose to get it.

foo_fighter
06-12-2015, 12:56 PM
While, we're on the subject. How often do the park TMs need to be sent in for calibration?

Anyone build a cheapo reference? Say 2 metal brackets(simpson strong ties) screwed into a 2x4 with a spoke tensioned up to say 110kgF?

R3awak3n
06-12-2015, 01:26 PM
/\ thats a good question. I always wonder when I will have to send the park in.

I have built probably about 7 sets of wheels with the park and its been great. I definitely do not know how accurate it is but its nice to have to know that tension is pretty close on all the spokes. Wheels I have built seem fine so far so I guess it works fine. Would love to have something else to compare it too because I think that the park tends to show more tension that its on the spoke (maybe not but by feel sometimes I think there is not enough tension).

Black Dog
06-12-2015, 01:29 PM
Using the park for years. Very consistent. Plus or minus a few kgF from actual is no big deal but different readings on the same spoke would be bad, it always gives me the same reading when repeated on the same spoke. I have a friend who is an engineer check it periodically using some high tech equipment and it has never needed to be recalibrated to any significant degree.

oldpotatoe
06-12-2015, 02:07 PM
Many thanks to those with in the wild experience. If I don't win the WS, a Park one I'll get.

guyintense
06-12-2015, 02:21 PM
FYI the Wheelsmith is worthless without the corresponding chart and they no longer offer a re-calibration service.

R3awak3n
06-12-2015, 02:24 PM
the park chart is also online, has a nice calculator that you put the width of the spoke and gives you the corresponding chart. Its nice.

Hermes_Alex
06-12-2015, 02:28 PM
Many thanks to those with in the wild experience. If I don't win the WS, a Park one I'll get.

If I were compelled to use a Park/WS tensiometer, I'd only use it to gauge the tension of a few spokes per side, then balance the rest by ear. Tensioning by ear is quite vague when it comes to building wheels to the max tension allowed by a rim, however when it comes to checking the relative tension of each spoke to one another, I find it's more consistent than the cheaper tensiometers. I always check my stuff with a nicer gauge at the end, but I feel like even without the peace-of-mind that comes with being able to quantify everything, with good ears you can get by in a pinch if they wheels are just for for personal use.

In the future, I'd have a look at the Wheel Fanatyk tensiometer - Super rugged, digital readout and half the price of a DT. Ric is a super good guy.

oldpotatoe
06-12-2015, 03:25 PM
NIf I were compelled to use a Park/WS tensiometer, I'd only use it to gauge the tension of a few spokes per side, then balance the rest by ear. Tensioning by ear is quite vague when it comes to building wheels to the max tension allowed by a rim, however when it comes to checking the relative tension of each spoke to one another, I find it's more consistent than the cheaper tensiometers. I always check my stuff with a nicer gauge at the end, but I feel like even without the peace-of-mind that comes with being able to quantify everything, with good ears you can get by in a pinch if they wheels are just for for personal use.

In the future, I'd have a look at the Wheel Fanatyk tensiometer - Super rugged, digital readout and half the price of a DT. Ric is a super good guy.

Ehhh, say again?? No thanks, won't be using tone to check evenness. As mentioned, even the cheapo is consistent in the readings, spoke to spoke. May not be the most accurate as to actual tension, but OK to check tension variability.

Had a FSA one, ala the Ric one, like the TS3 stand, didn't like it, sold it.

The DT ones(dial) are about $250, don't think the Ric ones are $125. Yup, wholesale DT.

Still waiting for Ric to either get, or not, more Morizumi spoke threaders. Need that.