PDA

View Full Version : CX fork use on a custom road bike

d_douglas
06-10-2015, 06:06 PM
This is a hypothetical question.

Would it be a bad idea to design an all rounder type road bike (think Hampsten style) that would use an ENVE CX fork with a 395mm A-C? So, I have this fork on my CX bike and like it alot. It got me to thinking of having a bike that handled like a proper road bike, but have clearance for fat tires and fenders (I know ENVE forks have no eyelets), but with a sufficiently low BB, sharp geometry and shortish chainstays for good handling.

The rake and the A-C are different than an ENVE road fork - would designing a bike as described above yield a crappy road bike?

Steve in SLO
06-10-2015, 06:39 PM
There's a lot of variables that can be tweaked for handling to make up for differences in a fork. If it were me I would talk to the custom builder and find out if they were able and comfortable building such a frame to achieve your desired ride.

David Kirk
06-10-2015, 06:41 PM
If the frame is designed to work with the fork's span and the rake is right it should matter little to none.

dave

pbarry
06-10-2015, 06:42 PM
Good wish list but, 378-385mm A-C measurement would suffice. 395 is way more than you'd need for an all rounder. If you are set on carbon, Wound Up will build whatever you want, eyelets included.

christian
06-10-2015, 06:51 PM
It would work, but I consider it inelegant. A nice fattie road fork looks best with a 382-383mm a-c span.

d_douglas
06-10-2015, 07:03 PM
If the frame is designed to work with the fork's span and the rake is right it should matter little to none.

dave

Thanks Dave.

I guess what I am asking is not whether it is possible (it is) but whether it's a good idea? Is using a 47mm rake fork on a bike intended to handle quickly a bad idea or a worthwhile pursuit?

I know a 395mm a-c is overkill, but if I want to use an ENVE, I don't have the option of anything in between a road and CX fork. I dont mind having a few extra MM of space btw the crown and tire, but not at the cost of a bad handling bike.

My Desalvo CX bike handles ok on the road, but obviously a genuine road bike handles better.

KidWok
06-10-2015, 07:09 PM
DO IT! My "rocky road" bike is a Gunnar Crosshairs. I used to have a Co-Motion Nor'Wester which used long reach brakes. It could barely clear 32mm tires. If you want to clear 32's, run fenders, and have an acceptable level of tire clearance for a wet ride through autumn leaves, you pretty much need a 'cross fork.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c151/TaiLee77/Mobile%20Uploads/20150221_133133_zpscxkugovz.jpg

Tai

pbarry
06-10-2015, 07:33 PM
If you match the HT angle to the fork rake to achieve the trail you want, then you might be happy in the end. Will be no crit bike for sure, but a good builder will find the sweet spot for you.

David Kirk
06-10-2015, 07:35 PM
Thanks Dave.

I guess what I am asking is not whether it is possible (it is) but whether it's a good idea? Is using a 47mm rake fork on a bike intended to handle quickly a bad idea or a worthwhile pursuit?

I know a 395mm a-c is overkill, but if I want to use an ENVE, I don't have the option of anything in between a road and CX fork. I do y mind having a few extra MM of space bye the crown and tire, but not at the cost of a bad handling bike.

My Desalvo CX bike handles ok on the road, but obviously a genuine road bike handles better.

As long as the head angle and rake are matched to give a desireable trail there is nothing wrong with using a 47 mm rake fork on a road bike. I vary between 43 and 52 on race bikes depending on head angle and all the other stuff that factors in.

dave

joosttx
06-10-2015, 07:38 PM
I did it. and have no complaints.

d_douglas
06-10-2015, 08:23 PM
As long as the head angle and rake are matched to give a desireable trail there is nothing wrong with using a 47 mm rake fork on a road bike. I vary between 43 and 52 on race bikes depending on head angle and all the other stuff that factors in.

dave

Ok, that's good to know. I guess you tighen up the angles and lengthen the Cstays and lower the BB, and it's all the same.

So, the ENVE road forks take 28mm, but no fenders, right? The bike will be stopped with disc brakes - that is a certainty.

xeladragon
06-10-2015, 08:38 PM
Wait for the ENVE GRD fork?

PacNW2Ford
06-10-2015, 08:46 PM
My all-rounder had an ENVE CX fork, now has a custom IF with the same specs for Racer-M brakes. The geometry is very similar to my Hampsten Strada Bianca which uses a Wound Up long reach fork with a 46mm rake, and is a pretty good road bike.

happycampyer
06-10-2015, 09:18 PM
It would work, but I consider it inelegant. A nice fattie road fork looks best with a 382-383mm a-c span.Wait till you see my Firefly.

Hank Scorpio
06-10-2015, 09:22 PM
Wait till you see my Firefly.

Remember we ride the same size frame.

d_douglas
06-10-2015, 10:25 PM
Wait till you see my Firefly.

Let's see a photo of that badboy! So remember, I don't want a CX bike - I want a road bike that will take fat smooth tires.

CheshireCat
06-10-2015, 10:51 PM
something designed around the paul centerpulls would be ideal.

or something like this:
http://theradavist.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Pauls-Rock-Lobster-Singlespeed-Cross-13-1335x890.png

I can also submit my friend Snowman's bike. :fight:he built it himself under the tutelage of Yamaguchi at the frame building class. It's pretty nifty and he's a big strong footballer built dude.
http://img27.fansshare.com/pic107/w/yamaguchi-bicycles/900/5271_snowaguchi_dirty.jpg

d_douglas
06-11-2015, 12:52 AM
The image is the bike with the Paul Racers looks so nice, but discs are how I am going. I have used them for a decade on my CX bike, and they are now ready for road use.

One bike that I think fits the bill n terms of geometry is the Salsa Warbird. That is a bike that rides like a roadie, correct? It uses an ENVE CX fork...

happycampyer
06-11-2015, 06:25 AM
Let's see a photo of that badboy! So remember, I don't want a CX bike - I want a road bike that will take fat smooth tires.It doesn't exist yet, but I'm getting closer in the queue... It will be a disc road bike designed to take 42mm tires (e.g., Compass, etc.).

Mark McM
06-11-2015, 10:17 AM

All true, but keep in mind some of the other trade-offs. If the fork has a longer offset (47 is a little on the long side for a road fork) and the head angle is slackened to maintain the same trail, the side affect will be a lengthening of the front center length (BB to front axle). This can desirable for bike intended for rough surfaces (which is why this XCross fork has a longer offset), but can make the handling a little less nimble on a pavement bike.

David Kirk
06-11-2015, 10:24 AM
All true, but keep in mind some of the other trade-offs. If the fork has a longer offset (47 is a little on the long side for a road fork) and the head angle is slackened to maintain the same trail, the side affect will be a lengthening of the front center length (BB to front axle). This can desirable for bike intended for rough surfaces (which is why this XCross fork has a longer offset), but can make the handling a little less nimble on a pavement bike.

You are of course right.......the front center grows when you use a longer rake and matching slacker head angle.....but if the frame is small and only has a 53 cm top tube then this is hardly a problem and can minimize or eliminate toe overlap. The whole thing if very size dependent. It would be very unusual to use a 47 rake on a big bike but fairly common on a small one.

dave

d_douglas
06-11-2015, 11:04 AM
You are of course right.......the front center grows when you use a longer rake and matching slacker head angle.....but if the frame is small and only has a 53 cm top tube then this is hardly a problem and can minimize or eliminate toe overlap. The whole thing if very size dependent. It would be very unusual to use a 47 rake on a big bike but fairly common on a small one.

dave

Well, mine would be a 58cm - is that big or small? I am assuming I am entering the 'big' end of the spectrum > ?

Is ENVE actually making a 'gravel' fork with fender eyelets? I would love that.

David Kirk
06-11-2015, 11:24 AM
Well, mine would be a 58cm - is that big or small? I am assuming I am entering the 'big' end of the spectrum > ?

Is ENVE actually making a 'gravel' fork with fender eyelets? I would love that.

58 cm would be toward the big end of the scale.

You'll end up with a front center that is longer than it would be for a pure road bike set up with a road fork.

Does the builder you are working with make forks? A made-to-match fork is a very good way to go so that the frame design dictates the fork specs and not the other way round.

dave