PDA

View Full Version : Campy 1x11

sandyrs
06-09-2015, 02:36 PM
I'm thinking of putting 1x11 on one of my bikes with Chorus shifters. I have a few questions:

1) For a 42t x 11-34 setup, do I need a triple rear derailleur?
2) Is a narrow-wide ring enough to retain the chain without a clutched derailleur?

Note that I plan to ride this bike mostly on paved roads. It is not a cyclocross bike. I know that strictly speaking, clutched derailleurs are recommended for narrow-wide rings but I don't intend to ride on any of the off-road bumpiness that I would imagine motivates that recommendation.

Hermes_Alex
06-09-2015, 02:41 PM
My gut says yes to the non-clutched derailleur, however maybe a Paul Chain Keeper or something like that would be good for insurance if you want to be sure.

GeorgeTSquirrel
06-09-2015, 05:04 PM

No; you have enough cage length to take up chain slack with a 1x11.

If using a Campy RD, I'm not sure if it will work with a 34t without modification.

oldpotatoe
06-09-2015, 05:06 PM
I'm thinking of putting 1x11 on one of my bikes with Chorus shifters. I have a few questions:

2) Is a narrow-wide ring enough to retain the chain without a clutched derailleur?

Note that I plan to ride this bike mostly on paved roads. It is not a cyclocross bike. I know that strictly speaking, clutched derailleurs are recommended for narrow-wide rings but I don't intend to ride on any of the off-road bumpiness that I would imagine motivates that recommendation.

1)no-since you don't have to worry about big-big combo, a normal double 11s rear der will work fine.
2)if ride in rough, probably not but you can use a front dear as a guide.

sandyrs
06-09-2015, 08:48 PM
Thanks all.

jdp211
06-09-2015, 09:23 PM
I ran a 1x11 Chorus group on my CX bike the last two seasons, but without the 'new' solutions for chain drop. Regular 39t ring with bashguard and rear derailleur was alright, but definitely dropped a couple of chains. Added an N-Gear chain watcher (Bent so as to come over the top of the chain) and shortened my chain a link or two which, haven't had any issues since.

eBAUMANN
06-09-2015, 11:19 PM
If you are staying primarily on pavement, a narrow wide ring is easily enough to keep the chain in place. Even for light trail riding, should be sufficient. Several friends even race CX without a clutch or catcher and have had little/no issues. So yea, no catcher needed if you ask me ;)

velotrack
06-09-2015, 11:38 PM
I ran a 1x11 Chorus group on my CX bike the last two seasons, but without the 'new' solutions for chain drop. Regular 39t ring with bashguard and rear derailleur was alright, but definitely dropped a couple of chains. Added an N-Gear chain watcher (Bent so as to come over the top of the chain) and shortened my chain a link or two which, haven't had any issues since.

Same here.
It's been great.