PDA

View Full Version : Is this old tire worth keeping? Clement...Criterium...Seta?

Avincent52
06-09-2015, 11:08 AM
Found this old tire in a closet. It doesn't look like it's ever been used and it still seems to hold air! Wondering if it's still good or should I toss it?

https://scontent-lga1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtf1/t31.0-8/11147864_10205996574425804_6640146005067784986_o.j pg

RedRider
06-09-2015, 11:13 AM
I wouldn't use it but it would look good on a shelf next to a wool jersey, toe clips and an old hair-net helmet.

Avincent52
06-09-2015, 11:15 AM
Okay, enough with the joking on my part.
It is exactly what it looks like--a perfect, unused, NOS Clement Criterium Seta silk tubular, bought in 1984 or 1985.

It's never been folded, glued or, of course, ridden on. For most of the last 30 years it's been stored mounted on an old Mavic GP4 rim, uninflated.
I bought it on sale at a place called Belmont Cyclery in Chicagoland. I think it was about $40, which then seemed like all the money in the world.
That's why I only bought one.

I pulled it out of the closet yesterday, inflated it (with my vintage Silca) and took the pic.
It really ought to get used and ridden, but not sure if it should be by me.
Thoughts as to how/where I'd find someone who'd appreciate this and reach a sale/trade that would make us both happy?

Tandem Rider
06-09-2015, 11:21 AM
One of the nicest dry road tires ever.

Ahhhh... Colnago with 32 hole GL330's and Setas, state of the art in 1985.

RedRider
06-09-2015, 11:24 AM
I certainly wasn't joking... It's a 30 year old tire that you want to perform safely?
When new, it was one of the best but ...

saab2000
06-09-2015, 11:28 AM
I'd ride it. Just make sure the tape is secure. This can be done with liquid latex, which can also be used on the sidewalls.

El Chaba
06-09-2015, 11:32 AM
Perfect!.......for a static restoration.....

lhuerta
06-09-2015, 11:33 AM
+1

Tandem Rider
06-09-2015, 12:11 PM
You have one of the tires located, find a match, then you just need some wall art to mount them on.

See, we're being helpful with good information:cool:

OperaLover
06-09-2015, 12:51 PM
I'm sure it has collector value for a show bike. Try eBay or the Classic Ronedezvous List on Google groups.

tiretrax
06-09-2015, 01:23 PM
I wouldn't ride it, even with liquid latex on the sidewall. I have two unridden Clement tubies at home that I admire. They are draped on my bike stand, so I get to look at them every day.

06-09-2015, 02:09 PM
Sell it, for a very respectable amount of money, to a collector who will never really ride it either. Put the proceeds into a pair of really nice newer tires like FMB silks. If you're lucky you might get enough for at least one amazing new tire, if not a pair. That tire should net you somewhere close to $200 from the right collector, maybe more in its condition.

Avincent52
06-09-2015, 02:10 PM
Honestly, I would have no hesitation about riding this. The rubber and the casing are completely supple, and even the base tape is still securely glued.

If I had a second one, I probably would use it.
But I gather it's got some cash or trade value for someone who has a classic bike and really wants one of the best tires ever made, either for the road or for show.

The other factor is the condition of streets where I live. Toward that end I've got a set of Conti Gatorskins coming.

Avincent52
06-09-2015, 02:33 PM
Here's the match on Ebay, albeit somewhat shopworn.
I"m well aware it's an asking price rather than a selling price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Clement-silk-Tubular-Tire-Single-racing-Bicycle-NOS-Criterium-Seta-/310960098382?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4866aa8c4e

ultraman6970
06-09-2015, 04:05 PM
You are a lucky man, why? from the pictures you can tell the tubular is not dry at all, the rubber might be tad harder but the rest of the tubular doesnt look that dry.

If you use tubbies I would use it. If you dont use tubbies and want to toss it, instead just send it to me :D I can use it :D

shovelhd
06-09-2015, 05:13 PM
If I didn't have a show bike to mount it on, I'd sell it and buy four Vittoria Corsa CX.

Anarchist
06-09-2015, 06:35 PM
I still have some of those in the basement and still ride them.

bikingshearer
06-09-2015, 06:35 PM
Jobst Brandt would probably have answered with a firm "no, don't ride it." See the second Q&A in this. http://sheldonbrown.com/brandt/tubular-fables.html

The good news is it hasn't been exposed to sunlight. The bad news is it has been exposed to 30 years worth of oxygen.

If you do decide to ride it, I'd suggest making sure it is on the rear tire - significantly better chance of surviving without a crash if it blows out. But my gut says you are better served by putting it on a wall-hanger or sell it to someone else.

lhuerta
06-09-2015, 08:00 PM
Honestly, I would have no hesitation about riding this. The rubber and the casing are completely supple, and even the base tape is still securely glued.

If I had a second one, I probably would use it.
But I gather it's got some cash or trade value for someone who has a classic bike and really wants one of the best tires ever made, either for the road or for show.

The other factor is the condition of streets where I live. Toward that end I've got a set of Conti Gatorskins coming.

So then....what, exactly was the point of ur original post?? Hmmm...

Avincent52
06-09-2015, 09:27 PM
ultraman: The rubber on the tire really isn't hard at all. The construction is super light so the tread is very thin, but what is there feels fine.

Huerta
I was just having a little joke at first, and then sharing something cool I had kind of half forgotten about.

I was open to advice but I had at least a plan in mind. I'm not concerned about its structural integrity, but I would feel terrible about having stashed the tire away for 30 years, and then mounting it up and getting a puncture five miles into my first ride.

Best let someone else have that maiden voyage.

pbarry
06-09-2015, 09:30 PM
So, Lou was right.. ;)

ultraman6970
06-09-2015, 11:50 PM
Ride it man... worse case scenario it will blow at some point but to me looks like an ok tubular. The problem is this, if you dont use it it will dry and then you will lose the money.

oldpotatoe
06-10-2015, 06:25 AM
Here's the match on Ebay, albeit somewhat shopworn.
I"m well aware it's an asking price rather than a selling price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Clement-silk-Tubular-Tire-Single-racing-Bicycle-NOS-Criterium-Seta-/310960098382?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4866aa8c4e

The PB*bike guys are nutz about their prices but I'd let it fly on the 'bay, no reserve and see what happens. Sell it and buy 'some' Vittoria Corsa Elites in 25 and ride those.

Avincent52
06-10-2015, 07:30 AM
Ultraman--
I bought this tire in 1985.
While it's probably past its "peak" (depending on what you believe about aging) I see no reason it won't remain stable for the forseeable future since I'll store it the same way it's been stored (dark, climate controlled, on a clean rim) for several decades.

Pbarry: I'm a newbie here, so I apologize in advance, but who's Lou and what's he right about?

There seems to be some consensus for the Corsa Elites.

A couple of questions: Is Clement still making tires? And why are silk tubulars (largely) a thing of the past?

tiretrax
06-10-2015, 10:39 AM
The rubber on my pair is supple, too. It's the degradation of the sidewall that's the problem. Put it on a show bike, sell it on ebay, or ride in a vintage-type event (e.g. L'Eroica) and strap it over your torso.

El Chaba
06-10-2015, 12:54 PM
Ultraman--
I bought this tire in 1985.
While it's probably past its "peak" (depending on what you believe about aging) I see no reason it won't remain stable for the forseeable future since I'll store it the same way it's been stored (dark, climate controlled, on a clean rim) for several decades.

Pbarry: I'm a newbie here, so I apologize in advance, but who's Lou and what's he right about?

There seems to be some consensus for the Corsa Elites.

A couple of questions: Is Clement still making tires? And why are silk tubulars (largely) a thing of the past?

There is a Clement today, but other than the name there is no connection to the company of old. Back in the day, they were the largest maker of handmade tubulars in the world-all made in Italy. They really were top notch products only matched today by the best work of FMB, Veloflex and Dugast. Their lineup of offerings was incredibly extensive. Eventually, they were purchased by Pirelli....For a number of years everything was fine, but when Pirelli was purchased the company found itself to be an unwanted stepchild. eventually the company was closed and the tooling was sent to Thailand where it passed through several hands. Some of the equipment is still used by Challenge today.

Silk tires are largely a thing of the past because they are expensive. They are very supple and fast, but the advantage over a cotton tubular is small. On the downside, the silk also loses quite a bit of its resistance should the roads be wet, so they are dry surface tires or the puncture risk is pretty great.

hockeybike
06-10-2015, 01:02 PM
Can we just for a second laugh at the responses saying 'don't ride it' and then other responses along the lines of 'let someone else ride it'? The consensus seems to be no one should ride it, not that someone who wants to pay for it should ride it.