PDA

View Full Version : ¿turnaround time on a JB paint job?

capitán
04-27-2006, 09:08 AM
I'm curious about what the turnaround time is on a new JB paint job, from arrival to his shop to shipment. I'm guessing the new Kirk owners can shed some light.

e-RICHIE
04-27-2006, 09:28 AM
do you have a frame being painted at jb's?

FlaRider
04-27-2006, 09:28 AM
Based on my personal experience, JB turns around new frames (as opposed to repaints) fabricated by his "core" group of builders (Richard Sachs, Rivendell, and Dave Kirk) in a couple of months. New frames from other builders and repaints take somewhat longer. For example, JB has had my IF Ti Crown Jewel (a repaint) for more than 6 months and it's a pretty simple one color paint job. That said, his work is the best in the business and worth every minute you have to wait for it.

dave thompson
04-27-2006, 09:29 AM
I'm curious about what the turnaround time is on a new JB paint job, from arrival to his shop to shipment. I'm guessing the new Kirk owners can shed some light.
Call or e-mail Joe himself: http://www.campyonly.com/joebell.html

capitán
04-27-2006, 09:34 AM
do you have a frame being painted at jb's?

no, just curious

Dave, I'd call or e-mail, but I'm just curious (not actually planning on a repaint).

e-RICHIE
04-27-2006, 09:36 AM
no, just curious

Dave, I'd call or e-mail, but I'm just curious (not actually planning on a repaint).

if you're just curious and not actually planning on a repaint...
use fla's reply as the last word on this.

Ginger
04-27-2006, 09:38 AM
Hmmm... I don't think my Kirk frame took two months at paint. It was only a two color job though...and that *was* two years ago.

Time flies.

Samster
04-27-2006, 09:38 AM
i don't think he publicizes his email address. i've looked for it but had little luck.

capitán
04-27-2006, 10:10 AM
if you're just curious and not actually planning on a repaint...
use fla's reply as the last word on this.

I'm sorry, ¿but am I breaching an industry trade secret here? Let's say I have a frame being painted at another shop, and I'm curious as to how the turnaround time compares. ¿OK?

e-RICHIE
04-27-2006, 10:15 AM
I'm sorry, ¿but am I breaching an industry trade secret here? Let's say I have a frame being painted at another shop, and I'm curious as to how the turnaround time compares. ¿OK?

ah i get it now...
i should have simply replied to you as such:
¿Is this a theoretical issue or an actual, practical issue?

dbrk
04-27-2006, 10:19 AM
Not to speak for e-richie here but I think he only meant to convey the essential point: turnaround from JB is a few months, sometimes three, sometimes a bit more. It's not much of a trade secret, it all just depends and is based on our experience. Others might be able to turn a paint job around faster but no one, not nohow, not anywhere can paint a bicycle better than JB. So it all depends what you want. Some things are worth the wait.

As an aside one of the really nice things about Serotta is that they turn design/build/paint/delivery around pretty darn fast in comparison to nearly any boutique builder. This is a feature of production and labor, as I see it. Doing everything "in house" makes some difference but mostly its a matter of the work force and methods of production comparatively speaking.

dbrk

capitán
04-27-2006, 10:53 AM
ah i get it now...
i should have simply replied to you as such:
¿Is this a theoretical issue or an actual, practical issue? ©™®

Well played, sir, but I'm afraid that question is already copyrighted, trademarked, and registered. ¿Are you still agitated about that?

It is in fact an actual, practical issue. There is no intention to impugn Mr. Bell. On the contrary, according to the responses so far, my guy is taking longer.

Now that I think about it, I guess it is a theoretical issue, or practical. Hmm. I just blew my mind.

Johny
04-27-2006, 10:59 AM

I think you already got the answer from many JB long-time customers here. But I'm curious what does the comparison of the turnaround time tell you.

Serotta PETE
04-27-2006, 11:06 AM
Hey I "copy righted" this a few years ago.....since you'al are using it - SEND THE BOTTLE OF ZIN to me immediately.

It must be raining, as it is here, and eveyone has cabin fever.

I have seen paint jobs take from 4 weeks to 4 plus months. Depends on such things as time or year, how many are ahead of you, where you are in the prioirty Q, and lastly if you have been sending regular shipments of ZIN.

Have a good day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :cool:

capitán
04-27-2006, 11:08 AM
I think you already got the answer from many JB long-time customers here. But I'm curious what does the comparison of the turnaround time tell you.

To see if my guy's taking longer than the person I consider to be the industry standard-bearer.

¿Is it just me, or am I having to defend the reasoning behind my simple, non-judgmental question more than most folks who post here?

Serotta PETE
04-27-2006, 11:10 AM
To see if my guy's taking longer than the person I consider to be the industry standard-bearer.

¿Is it just me, or am I having to defend the reasoning behind my simple, non-judgmental question more than most folks who post here?

see my note, it is just cabin fever day...................................

:) on second thought, drinks are on SMILEY - come on to his event on MAY 20th.

PETE

catulle
04-27-2006, 11:20 AM

You got some good answers to your question from people who are always very helpful and friendly. Moreover, if you want an exact answer just call JB and find out. What are you, a limosnero con garrote? Nice goes a long way, atmo.

capitán
04-27-2006, 11:35 AM
You got some good answers to your question from people who are always very helpful and friendly. Moreover, if you want an exact answer just call JB and find out. What are you, a limosnero con garrote? Nice goes a long way, atmo.

I agree that I got some good answers, but the rationale behind my question, which again is not meant to impugn anyone, has been questioned a least a couple of times. Mr. Bell runs a business, and it would be a waste of his time for me to call him. This is a forum where we discuss bicycle trivia, among other things. My question is more trivial than business-oriented.

¿Have I not been nice? Aparentemente soy peor que un limosnero con garrote, pero no entiendo por qué.

e-RICHIE
04-27-2006, 11:43 AM
i would like to compare the standard bearer with some of the others.
who is your painter and how much longer is he taking atmo?

capitán
04-27-2006, 11:57 AM
i would like to compare the standard bearer with some of the others.
who is your painter and how much longer is he taking atmo?

PM with said info sent. You've presented me with a catch-22. If I out the painter's name, I'll be accused of malice.

e-RICHIE
04-27-2006, 12:01 PM
PM with said info sent. You've presented me with a catch-22. If I out the painter's name, I'll be accused of malice.

don't be a fool -
malice is underrated.

besides, no one reads this message board anyway.

Blastinbob
04-27-2006, 12:17 PM
If it makes you feel any better, my late father built a 32 ford coupe that spent 7 years in the paint shop. It ended up being 4 different shades of candy burgandy. :beer:

OldDog
04-27-2006, 01:21 PM
It takes what it takes, anywhere. That's why we all here have a least a dozen bikes to ride... ;)

capitán
04-27-2006, 02:22 PM
That's why we all here have a least a dozen bikes to ride... ;)

Unfortunately, that doesn't apply to me, which is why I sent the frame in months ago, in hopes that it would be ready by now. Oh, well...

Pete, the vino's on the way.

Jeff Weir
04-27-2006, 02:39 PM
Isn't malice the thing that a judge hits with his gavel?

Serotta PETE
04-27-2006, 03:02 PM
Unfortunately, that doesn't apply to me, which is why I sent the frame in months ago, in hopes that it would be ready by now. Oh, well...

Pete, the vino's on the way.

thanks.....Pete

Serotta PETE
04-27-2006, 03:03 PM
It takes what it takes, anywhere. That's why we all here have a least a dozen bikes to ride... ;)

You have been in SPOKES garage..........................