PDA

View Full Version : LeMond, Inc.

rpm
06-08-2015, 08:26 PM
The thread about the LeMond Washoe reminded me of a recent article that goes into depth about LeMond's business and plans:

http://tcbmag.com/Industries/Human-Capital/Greg-LeMond-s-Next-Ride

I'm not sure about the viability of his plan. He sounds like a typical internet company when he says he's more interested in product development right now than sales. Look soon for the LeMonster, with 29er wheels, and road geometry.

kramnnim
06-08-2015, 09:08 PM
Interesting, thanks. Didn't know the Time partnership ended. Surprised so many people buy those LeMond trainers...

stephenmarklay
06-08-2015, 09:15 PM
Thanks for the post. I will read this.

Mr. Pink
06-08-2015, 10:03 PM
God speed, Greg.

thirdgenbird
06-08-2015, 10:21 PM
Looking forward to seeing the LeMonster. Could be fun.

George Ab
06-08-2015, 11:05 PM
The LeMond limited editions produced by Time are so so nice. Good luck Greg!

https://greglemond.com/#!/en/bicycles

K u r t
06-09-2015, 02:04 AM
To me Greg is the most upstanding American cyclist. He has exhibited unsurpassed class, integrity and athleticism. I believe what the man says, and I believe his personal values translate to his business ventures. I support the LeMonds and I support the new venture! The bikes will be great.

jr59
06-09-2015, 05:16 AM
The thread about the LeMond Washoe reminded me of a recent article that goes into depth about LeMond's business and plans:

I'm not sure about the viability of his plan. He sounds like a typical internet company when he says he's more interested in product development right now than sales.

I think this is putting it very nicely. History shows that the viability of this plan is a very hard road.

IMO; Greg is a dreamer and not the best of business man! Good luck!

ScottM
06-09-2015, 05:41 AM
I like Greg. Always have. I wonder how much his blood pressure rose when the first two paragraphs of the story were about Armstrong? To Greg's chagrin, the two will always be connected in the mind of the general public.

VT Skier
06-09-2015, 07:21 AM
Surprised so many people buy those LeMond trainers...

I have a LeMond Fitness G-force upright indoor bike that I bought years ago for winter or when it's raining. Works great for me. Don't know anything about the trainers he sells now, but I imagine they're pretty good. He's seems to have produced decent products over the years.

oldpotatoe
06-09-2015, 07:24 AM
God speed, Greg.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPatfgoNBR

saab2000
06-09-2015, 07:45 AM
When I talk about cycling to friends for whom it is, at best, casually understood, almost none of them know who Greg Lemond is. It's been 30 years since his prime and he was never able to translate his success on the bike into a "Brand" that transcended the sport of cycling. He's way less marketable than Lance Armstrong, though we all know how that ended.

I hope Greg Lemond will have a successful presence in cycling and not just be seen as a grumpy, sour grapes guy who had was overshadowed by another rider. He, as much as anyone who writes an article about him, needs to quit talking about Lance Armstrong. He needs to talk about the sport in general and his vision of the future and needs to quit looking at others. That said, I know that this article isn't about that topic....

Mr. Pink
06-09-2015, 08:13 AM
When I talk about cycling to friends for whom it is, at best, casually understood, almost none of them know who Greg Lemond is. It's been 30 years since his prime and he was never able to translate his success on the bike into a "Brand" that transcended the sport of cycling. He's way less marketable than Lance Armstrong, though we all know how that ended.

I hope Greg Lemond will have a successful presence in cycling and not just be seen as a grumpy, sour grapes guy who had was overshadowed by another rider. He, as much as anyone who writes an article about him, needs to quit talking about Lance Armstrong. He needs to talk about the sport in general and his vision of the future and needs to quit looking at others. That said, I know that this article isn't about that topic....

Sounds to me that you're projecting here. I haven't heard him talk about Lance much at all, and it was the author of the article who brought that nasty subject up, not Greg. He seems to have moved on with that enormous weight off his back, and just wants to sell bikes and do his broadcasting work. Hardly Mr. Grumpy. Maybe you're one of the few who see him that way. I had the pleasure of being close to him on a long ride and watching him interact with anybody that day and evening, and he was the opposite of grumpy. Refreshingly charming and happy guy. I was pleasantly surprised, in this day of a****le athlete celebrities with entourages.

Besides, most of your friends haven't heard of him because most in this country could care less about cycling as a sport. Notice that Greg's broadcasting can be heard and seen in many developed countries except one: ours. Sorry, but, we, collectively, don't care.

Can't believe you typed this, though: "I hope Greg Lemond will have a successful presence in cycling". Really. Reminds me of a recent argument I had about Tiger Woods. A friend ignored his amazing record of achievements (which, if he gave it up and retired tomorrow, would put him in the top five in history for decades to come) and said that he was "getting his ass kicked" by the youngsters of today, somehow trying to knock him down to below their level. So easily we forget, and want instant satisfaction.

merckx
06-09-2015, 08:37 AM

I don't believe that Lemond was not marketable, it is just that the commercial marketability of the sport matured during the Armstrong era.

saab2000
06-09-2015, 08:40 AM
Sounds to me that you're projecting here. I haven't heard him talk about Lance much at all, and it was the author of the article who brought that nasty subject up, not Greg. He seems to have moved on with that enormous weight off his back, and just wants to sell bikes and do his broadcasting work. Hardly Mr. Grumpy. Maybe you're one of the few who see him that way. I had the pleasure of being close to him on a long ride and watching him interact with anybody that day and evening, and he was the opposite of grumpy. Refreshingly charming and happy guy. I was pleasantly surprised, in this day of a****le athlete celebrities with entourages.

Besides, most of your friends haven't heard of him because most in this country could care less about cycling as a sport. Notice that Greg's broadcasting can be heard and seen in many developed countries except one: ours. Sorry, but, we, collectively, don't care.

Can't believe you typed this, though: "I hope Greg Lemond will have a successful presence in cycling". Really. Reminds me of a recent argument I had about Tiger Woods. A friend ignored his amazing record of achievements (which, if he gave it up and retired tomorrow, would put him in the top five in history for decades to come) and said that he was "getting his ass kicked" by the youngsters of today, somehow trying to knock him down to below their level. So easily we forget, and want instant satisfaction.

I perhaps didn't type elegantly. I am a huge Lemond fan, don't be misunderstood. As to the LA thing, you are right. This article isn't about that and I wish it hadn't even been brought up in the article. But he has talked about it. A lot.

And when I say "Successful presence in cycling" I mean that I hope his business of cycling stuff (bikes and training stuff) is successful. Believe me, I get his greatness as a rider. I've been riding since he was a new professional and watched his career wide eyed.

I think we agree and that I typed inelegantly in my previous post. BTW, I haven't heard his race announcing but I would like to. He clearly understands racing. That is obvious from watching interviews from when he was a pro. He has a brilliant cycling head, that's for sure.

Mr. Pink
06-09-2015, 08:55 AM
I don't believe that Lemond was not marketable, it is just that the commercial marketability of the sport matured during the Armstrong era.

Marketing, and, that all pervasive term, "branding", was highly evolved by the time Lance was winning number seven, compared to Lemond's day.

PQJ
06-09-2015, 08:56 AM
Reminds me of a recent argument I had about Tiger Woods. A friend ignored his amazing record of achievements (which, if he gave it up and retired tomorrow, would put him in the top five in history for decades to come) and said that he was "getting his ass kicked" by the youngsters of today, somehow trying to knock him down to below their level. So easily we forget, and want instant satisfaction.

Not top 5. Top 2. Only the Golden Bear is better.

Mr. Pink
06-09-2015, 09:07 AM
Not top 5. Top 2. Only the Golden Bear is better.

There's that whole history before TV thing. A few pretty good players before the Nicklaus/Palmer era, but, yeah, hard to argue with 2.

PQJ
06-09-2015, 09:18 AM
There's that whole history before TV thing. A few pretty good players before the Nicklaus/Palmer era, but, yeah, hard to argue with 2.

No, going based on his record alone. I'd like to put Hogan or Player in the no. 2 spot, but their records do not match Woods'.

FlashUNC
06-09-2015, 09:19 AM
I haven't heard his race announcing but I would like to.

Here ya go...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNle2n-Hvqs

austex
06-09-2015, 01:45 PM
Mr.Pink:
[...]
Besides, most of your friends haven't heard of him because most in this country couldn't care less about cycling as a sport. [...]

The Pedant offers his edit for you.

LegendRider
06-09-2015, 03:14 PM
I'm a huge LeMond fan - his '89 Tour win got me into the sport. I wish him well, especially in light of all he's been through, but, his track record with business ventures seems a little spotty.

CunegoFan
06-09-2015, 04:49 PM
Whoah! He is starting to look like Mickey Rooney. He really needs to ride more or stop drinking or something. He doesn't look 53. He looks 68.

Mr. Pink
06-09-2015, 05:10 PM
I'm surprised more old racers don't blow up like that. Going from 6000 calories a day to maybe 2500 is tough, I'll bet. I'm fighting the summer ice cream thing right now. Chocolate chip mint Klondike bars are so damn good.

CaptStash
06-09-2015, 06:32 PM
I'm surprised more old racers don't blow up like that. Going from 6000 calories a day to maybe 2500 is tough, I'll bet. I'm fighting the summer ice cream thing right now. Chocolate chip mint Klondike bars are so damn good.

Mostly he looks like that because he is very limited on how much he can exercise due to the lead poisoning. It's really a tough situation.

CaptStash....

fuzzalow
06-09-2015, 07:30 PM
Best of luck to Greg in his latest venture. He has rightfully earned a place in cycling history and with a little luck and management should squeeze out an honest living from those laurels.

Not fair to compare his front-man performance persona to -7's. That other guy was a grifter & confidence man who worked the crowd tirelessly as a way to control his critics by making them outcast from the adoring majority. Even Tiger has never been great as a front-man, being wooden and not all that interesting outside of the controlled environment of the PGA Media tent. Having read the Hank Haney book Tiger had few positive obsessions outside of golf.

But Greg is for real and that honesty will take him a long way in his own PR and in helping him establish his own voice and identity as a bona fide spokesman for American cycling and his businesses.

buddybikes
06-09-2015, 08:00 PM
losing most of 5m in legal battles with Trek, jeez at his age 5m in the bank would be more than a decent start to retirement.

Mr. Pink
06-09-2015, 09:25 PM
Mostly he looks like that because he is very limited on how much he can exercise due to the lead poisoning. It's really a tough situation.

CaptStash....

But he rides a lot. Always going to events. He rode over 70 miles the day I saw him. And he didn't look pooped at the end.

chasea
06-10-2015, 12:17 AM
A really humble, sweet man. I wish him nothing but the best.

Whoah! He is starting to look like Mickey Rooney. He really needs to ride more or stop drinking or something. He doesn't look 53. He looks 68.

He really can't drink. spend some time with the dude. Beer is completely out. You might might get him to sip on a bourbon. Greg's still got some lead shot in him. It's slowly poisoning him. Too much activity will speed up the process.

But he'll still ride your legs off.

sloanfiske
06-10-2015, 07:15 AM
I remembered how much I liked him when I watched Slaying the Badger.

The company seems like it has it's priorities right for a small business. Contained and no longer relying on another companies product for profit, with a simple plan of slowly expanding their current line of offerings. They sell direct to consumers, for the most part, and never lost sight of what items keep the lights on. Seems like a winner for Greg and his family.

And I already know I'd like a Washoe.

rugbysecondrow
06-11-2015, 06:52 AM
I remembered how much I liked him when I watched Slaying the Badger.

I watched that movie with about 4 non-cycling fans, but sports fans. We all thought that he came off like a jerk in that movie. Something about the dynamic between he and his wife was awkward.

Anyway, it just seems that whenever I see Lemond talking about something, he is complaining.

There is something not likable, smarmy about the man, I suspect lots of folks get that feeling, and that has much to do with his success off the bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk