PDA

View Full Version : Let's Educate the n00bs

ANAO
06-08-2015, 09:20 AM
A friend of mine just relayed some bad news to me: yesterday, his brother was descending when he crashed. Suffering a concussion (along with a punctured lung, some broken ribs, a leg broken in 4 places and other injuries), he has no recollection of the events leading up to his accident.

I was thrilled to hear he's on the road to recovery now after his 10 hour surgery last night, but the amount of crashes I hear about really scare me. A friend of mine had the idea to educate the n00bs - basic bike maintenance, mindfulness and general bike-riding-safety tips.

WIth that, I'd like to pick your brains. What one (or two, or three!) piece(s) of advice would you pass on to someone embarking on their first bike ride?

The more the merrier.

Maybe I'll start a spreadsheet to collect the tips, and then maybe I'll host a seminar with some local newbies.

Thanks guys.

RedRider
06-08-2015, 09:26 AM
Preventative bicycle maintenance and a pre-ride check list.

eddief
06-08-2015, 09:28 AM
Even if you think the guy in front knows you're moving up, make some sort of noise to tell him you are moving up.

Don't ever pass on the right unless there is some out of the ordinary reason to do so...make some noise so I know you're coming.

ergott
06-08-2015, 09:32 AM
One I try to live by is:

Assume the other person doesn't see you. Unless I have direct eye contact with someone, whether in a car, bike or a pedestrian, I proceed with caution. I've had too many occasions where I had the right of way and others missed that fact. It's not worth being right when you are on the ground.

mtb_frk
06-08-2015, 09:32 AM
Ride within your abilities.

Mr. Pink
06-08-2015, 09:36 AM
Watch for potholes.

FlashUNC
06-08-2015, 09:37 AM
Always check the front skewer and give the brakes a good tug before heading off. (Maybe just more my OCD routine and superstitous habits than anything else.)

Descents....you're not in a race. Ride to your comfort level. Ain't much shame in being a brake dragger if you get home in one piece.

Listen...listen...listen. Pretty amazing how just keeping your ears open will help you avoid trouble.

Rest of my advice is mostly derived from the Golden Rule. Do unto others and all that jazz:

Ride assertively to let cars know you're there, but don't be a jerk.

If you're in a group, regroup at the top of climbs. Start as a group, finish as a group unless there's a dedicated sweeper and grupetto.

Don't half wheel. Don't half wheel. Don't half wheel.

Point out crap in the road and don't ride anyone on your wheel through the crap.

Put a fender on when it rains in the rear so someone isn't eating your rooster tail.

Be smooth. Smooth and predictable are great for a paceline. Herky jerky is not. If you're not comfortable in a paceline, no shame in hanging at the back as you get acclimated.

fishwhisperer
06-08-2015, 09:42 AM
pre-ride checklist is a great one — tire pressure, pads, quick run around some key bolts

and if you're not racing, no need to pretend

bcroslin
06-08-2015, 09:50 AM
do not overlap wheels. ever. seriously.

learn how to soft pedal and use your REAR brake to modulate speed. grabbing a handful of front brake never ends well.

do not wear ear buds on the group ride. (big pet peeve of mine)

I'll second mtb-frk: ride within your abilities. do not get in over your head on the group ride. getting dropped happens to the best of us. I've seen several terrible crashes where a rider is going anaerobic and can't think straight and then just makes a bad decision and the next 6 months of their life is dramatically changed for the worse.

be considerate and don't put yourself over the safety of the group. if you do and you get attacked and dropped you have no one but yourself to blame.

merckx
06-08-2015, 09:51 AM
One I try to live by is:

Assume the other person doesn't see you. Unless I have direct eye contact with someone, whether in a car, bike or a pedestrian, I proceed with caution. I've had too many occasions where I had the right of way and others missed that fact. It's not worth being right when you are on the ground.

This.

MattTuck
06-08-2015, 09:51 AM
Flash hit most the ones I'd put out there.

1. Ride as if other road users are going to do the stupidest thing imaginable (ie. turn in front of you).

Len J
06-08-2015, 09:54 AM
One I try to live by is:

This

Also..... pay attention. It's easy in a repetitive sport to get inattentive....keep your head up and your attention vigilant. Ride defensively.

And leave the damn headphones for when you are sitting in the yard.

Len

Black Dog
06-08-2015, 09:58 AM
Stay as far to the right of the road as can safely and ride in as straight of line as you can. Be predictable. If you are going to move left, look behind you 1st then move!!!!!! The number of riders I see riding in the middle of the road when there is no reason to or swerving into a lane with our looking is astonishing :eek: . It hurts to get hit by a car or a truck, it really does. Why make it easy to get hit?

nate2351
06-08-2015, 10:00 AM
Sometimes in a paceline all you have to do is stop pedaling or sit up a bit. Not every .01mph change in speed requires the brakes.

Mr. Pink
06-08-2015, 10:05 AM
Flash hit most the ones I'd put out there.

1. Ride as if other road users are going to do the stupidest thing imaginable (ie. turn in front of you).

This is also the way I think when driving.

zap
06-08-2015, 10:09 AM
First bike ride……..ride with an experienced cyclist. One on one.

Next up, a slow group ride.

There are so many items/situations to discuss and experience.

Bstone
06-08-2015, 10:18 AM
Vision: in pacelines, always look at the person in front of the person in front of you(that was a terrible sentence).

When talking to someone, do not turn your head to the side.

Look where you want to go. You will go where you look.

bcroslin
06-08-2015, 10:21 AM
one more: be PREDICTABLE.

makoti
06-08-2015, 10:45 AM
When in a paceline & coming off the front, slide ALL the way to the back. Don't sit out there & expect the line to break up for you to get in.

fiataccompli
06-08-2015, 10:50 AM
from my experience...check rear skewer tightness!

head on a swivel & always be looking at every input in the road/side-road/etc. in front of you. The cheesy movie Premium Rush actually does a good job of presenting the concept, though in the context of choosing one of any number of truly obnoxious paths through traffic. Basically, anticipation is key - having some reasonable predictions of road surface changes, intruduction of dangerous ridge lines in a road, other riders' behavior and the actions of motor vehicles is key. All of that isn't much different than riding a motorcycle.

Look where you want to go because you will go where you are looking.

eddief
06-08-2015, 10:56 AM
quadruple check to make sure that the thing that caused the flat is not still embedded in the tire. On the road sweaty, cussing, in a hurry, with your buds leaving you behind, too easy to miss the tiny stuff...that will kill the new tube you just installed.

fiataccompli
06-08-2015, 10:57 AM
and perhaps a check of rim tape at the same time is in order...

stephenmarklay
06-08-2015, 11:01 AM
Ride within your abilities.

This is exactly what I would say. I worked in the motorcycle industry and the message is the same.

cderalow
06-08-2015, 11:01 AM
learn how to soft pedal and use your REAR brake to modulate speed. grabbing a handful of front brake never ends well.

Point out crap in the road and don't ride anyone on your wheel through the crap.

Be smooth. Smooth and predictable are great for a paceline. Herky jerky is not. If you're not comfortable in a paceline, no shame in hanging at the back as you get acclimated.

These three are probably my top and are often forgotten or not practiced frequently enough by even experienced riders and leaders.

I was out yesterday and twice was ridden through pot holes that would have flatted me had i been running clinchers. both times because the leader either bunny hopped them or completely failed to point them out.

soft pedaling is a skill that everyone should learn, and aids in the being smooth and predictable.

along those lines... if you're a tri person or ride your aerobars and a group comes up on you... don't stay in the group. let them pass.

had an a-hole riding a tri bike yesterday that slotted into the middle of the group and wasn't letting others past him almost cause a crash when he suddenly swerved to turn without signaling while on aero bars...

etu
06-08-2015, 11:07 AM
I would guess there are resources already available and created for this purpose. I would look up them and see what they have. I believe San Francisco Bike Coalition has road safety courses. I am sure they would be happy to share any materials.
Also a safety course that covers everything might be too broad. Might be best to narrow down who you mean by Noobs, especially with regard to what type of riding they do.

David Kirk
06-08-2015, 11:32 AM
Most of us learn to ride when we are children and unfortunately most riders stop actively learning to ride better and only concentrate on getting faster. In other words many fast riders I've ridden with over the years have no idea how to handle the bike when the poop hits the fan. They can make huge watts but they can't bunny hop over a small pot hole they didn't see coming up.

I think all of the previous advice in the posts above make great sense......and........at the same time even when we are paying attention and acting like others can't see us and we don't overlap wheels the poop can, and will, hit the fan. It's how the rider deals with it at this point that will make or break the deal.

I used to ride with a bike club back east that was great at taking all riders that were new to group rides and doing handling drills in a parking lot or a smooth grassy area. If you didn't jump thought these hoops you didn't ride with us and many thought they were somewhat above it and then were shocked to learn that they didn't actually know how to properly turn by leaning instead of steering and had no idea how to negotiate a 1" wide diagonal crack in the pavement by lifting front wheel over it. Most couldn't perform a bunny hop of ANY height. But once they learn they are empowered to avoid the stuff that came their way despite the best laid plans. I remember a group ride with a bunch of us hammering and trying to break the pedals off and a dog ran into the group. Everyone missed the dog and each other and one guy hopped over the small dog and nothing bad happened. 28 mph and a dog dives into the group and everyone came out with all their skin.....even the dog.

I've said this so many times over the years but these things, road bikes, are not exercise bikes that we use outside. They are machines that allow us to travel at great speeds and turn and stop in any number of ways and concentrating on the wattage or average speed is missing much of the game. They take serious skill to pilot well and this can only come about through dedicated practice. Take an old crappy bike into a dirt lot and ride with your sneakers and skid and slide and hop. Ride up curbs and down them. Ride a wheelie and do front brake stops until you can come up on the front wheel without going over.

Riding better is riding safer.

Sorry for the soap box tone - I couldn't feel more strongly about this and know of lives that could have been saved if the rider knew more than how to pedal hard.

thanks -

dave

tiretrax
06-08-2015, 11:46 AM
The only thing I can think to add to the advice already given is when turning (especially on a descent), look at where you want to go (the exit) or you'll go into the barrier (if there is one). I've seen a few nasty crashes on twisty roads.

Bicycling magazine has these kinds of lists from time to time. It might be easy to find in a search.

BobO
06-08-2015, 01:18 PM
The only thing I can think to add to the advice already given is when turning (especially on a descent), look at where you want to go (the exit) or you'll go into the barrier (if there is one). I've seen a few nasty crashes on twisty roads.

Look at the apex and the exit and,... hold your line. I've seen a crash because the inside rider drifted out into the outer line because he missed his apex and got off line.

Mzilliox
06-08-2015, 01:27 PM
One I try to live by is:

most important one here!

that and don't ride outside your limits, theres nothing to prove!!!

bcroslin
06-08-2015, 01:43 PM
had an a-hole riding a tri bike yesterday that slotted into the middle of the group and wasn't letting others past him almost cause a crash when he suddenly swerved to turn without signaling while on aero bars...

This happens in my neck of the woods several times a year. It always ends with us screaming obscenities at the triathlete after asking him nicely to go to the back and sit behind the group if he wants a free ride home. What is wrong with people?!

CaliFly
06-08-2015, 05:18 PM
There is always someone stronger than you.
There is always someone weaker than you.
Respect both.

Communication is key when riding in a group.

Learn how to operate and maintain your bicycle properly. DK made some good points about bike handling skills. I'd also add: Know how to fall.

bicycletricycle
06-08-2015, 05:41 PM
i guess wear a helmet should be one.

i don't so it is a bit silly for me to say.

oh well.

false_Aest
06-08-2015, 06:39 PM
The thing about giving advice like this is that noobs are so new they have a hard time understanding what we're talking about.

e.g. Ride within your abilities.
I had a very honest woman say, "I don't know what my abilities are."

So here are mine:

0. SHUT UP and pay attention, listen, watch. --- You learn better this way.
1. Remember, you're not special and neither is your bike. --- People will like you more.
2. Learn how to draft before you draft. --- you will not break people, bikes, bones this way.
3. Ask before you draft. --- this helps you avoid getting hit by a snot rocket.
4. If you draft, share the load. --- because you're not a freeloading teenager anymore.
5. If you're new don't ask the mechanic for favors or freebies. --- because you're not a douche.
6. Don't assume that a 6-pack makes everything ok. --- because some mechanics are recovering alcoholics and some prefer bacon.

mg2ride
06-08-2015, 07:04 PM
Most of us learn to ride when we are children and unfortunately most riders stop actively learning to ride better and only concentrate on getting faster. In other words many fast riders I've ridden with over the years have no idea how to handle the bike when the poop hits the fan. They can make huge watts but they can't bunny hop over a small pot hole they didn't see coming up.

I think all of the previous advice in the posts above make great sense......and........at the same time even when we are paying attention and acting like others can't see us and we don't overlap wheels the poop can, and will, hit the fan. It's how the rider deals with it at this point that will make or break the deal.

I used to ride with a bike club back east that was great at taking all riders that were new to group rides and doing handling drills in a parking lot or a smooth grassy area. If you didn't jump thought these hoops you didn't ride with us and many thought they were somewhat above it and then were shocked to learn that they didn't actually know how to properly turn by leaning instead of steering and had no idea how to negotiate a 1" wide diagonal crack in the pavement by lifting front wheel over it. Most couldn't perform a bunny hop of ANY height. But once they learn they are empowered to avoid the stuff that came their way despite the best laid plans. I remember a group ride with a bunch of us hammering and trying to break the pedals off and a dog ran into the group. Everyone missed the dog and each other and one guy hopped over the small dog and nothing bad happened. 28 mph and a dog dives into the group and everyone came out with all their skin.....even the dog.

I've said this so many times over the years but these things, road bikes, are not exercise bikes that we use outside. They are machines that allow us to travel at great speeds and turn and stop in any number of ways and concentrating on the wattage or average speed is missing much of the game. They take serious skill to pilot well and this can only come about through dedicated practice. Take an old crappy bike into a dirt lot and ride with your sneakers and skid and slide and hop. Ride up curbs and down them. Ride a wheelie and do front brake stops until you can come up on the front wheel without going over.

Sorry for the soap box tone - I couldn't feel more strongly about this and know of lives that could have been saved if the rider knew more than how to pedal hard.

thanks -

dave

Yes you have (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=956607&postcount=11) and it was meaningful enough that I remembered exactly where it was.

So stay on the soap box as long as you can!

eddief
06-08-2015, 07:11 PM
was riding with my local club. Did a significant climb to the top of a ridge. On the way down was not paying attention to cue sheet and was descending according to not good memory of the route. In a flash, I saw a fellow rider standing and signaling to turn right when I was moving fast down the hill to the left. I hit the brakes pretty hard to turn around. I locked up the rear and skidded a bit before I knew what was happening = really steep down grade. I recovered just fine, but could have fairly easily bought a farm. How do you teach that stuff?

pbarry
06-08-2015, 08:00 PM
Stay as far to the right of the road as can safely and ride in as straight of line as you can. Be predictable. If you are going to move left, look behind you 1st then move!!!!!! The number of riders I see riding in the middle of the road when there is no reason to or swerving into a lane with our looking is astonishing :eek: . It hurts to get hit by a car or a truck, it really does. Why make it easy to get hit?

Exactly. And, learn how to look left without drifting or steering left.

shovelhd
06-08-2015, 08:14 PM
was riding with my local club. Did a significant climb to the top of a ridge. On the way down was not paying attention to cue sheet and was descending according to not good memory of the route. In a flash, I saw a fellow rider standing and signaling to turn right when I was moving fast down the hill to the left. I hit the brakes pretty hard to turn around. I locked up the rear and skidded a bit before I knew what was happening = really steep down grade. I recovered just fine, but could have fairly easily bought a farm. How do you teach that stuff?

With practice. Use a hill you know every part of and practice looking farther up the road at speed. Look through the turns where you cannot see until a fraction of a second later. That feeling of not being able to see everything right away has to be overcome. In a group I'll eat a little wind to get a better view. Most of the time I can out coast everyone else in a small group anyway. :)

giordana93
06-08-2015, 08:59 PM
Descend with your hands in the drops. Big difference when you hit an unexpected bump.

Corollary: make sure the bike fits. Seen too many folks on ill-fitting machines they can't possibly control properly. Weight too forward or back, center of gravity too high, unable to ride in the drops...

And of course, eyes up, not glued to the seat tube of wheel they can barely follow

rwsaunders
06-08-2015, 09:09 PM
Most newbs aren't really sure how a bike works, or what the definition of a properly maintained bike is, or the effort required to ride 40-50 miles on anything other than a bike path. But, you need to start somewhere and as a few others and Clint Eastwood have said..."a man's got to know his limitations."

So I always get a bit concerned on a ride when a friend brings a friend who starts a ride with a rusty chain, bald tires and "Eye of the Tiger" is blaring from his iPod...yes, this fellow exists. I've just learned to do my own thing at that point as I didn't bring him to the dance, so I don't need to take him home to his Mother.

I've advised people to visit the local bike cooperative website, take their bike to a local lake which has a dedicated 5 mile loop and some hills, and to try their hand at some basic skills such as changing a tube, lubing a chain...hell, putting air in their tires is a mystery to some. At the end of the day, newb and pro alike, we all need a good wrench so I try and steer them to folks who will be patient with them and keep their bike in good, safe, mechanical order.

The goal is to get more people to ride and appreciate the essence of cycling, while not getting hurt in the process...pretty simple stuff.

oldpotatoe
06-09-2015, 07:10 AM
i guess wear a helmet should be one.

i don't so it is a bit silly for me to say.

oh well.

ohwell

fuzzalow
06-09-2015, 07:17 AM
One I try to live by is:

No this is a mistake and it is bad advice.

It is wrong because this advice is based on an assumption that you think there is communication going on here because of something implied in "eye contact". If you are wrong, you will pay the penalty. Because you cannot be sure of what they are looking at. You cannot be sure that the "eye contact" and facial expression is actually communication between a driver and a cyclist in an offering of courtesy and right-of-way. They might be zoned out. They might be physically driving but mentally in a phone conversation. They might be looking at something directly behind you. There is far too much variability in the reaction of drivers to ever make a blanket assumption that "eye contact" could be indicative of anything meaningful.

There is only one thing you can know with certainty and that is the movement of a vehicle. And by extension, its potential movement: meaning that the vehicle is stopped but it's front wheels are pointed into your path so the vehicle could cross into your path. You react and respond solely to what moves and what you can anticipate. The reason behind this is you never cede control and the read to your threat assessment to assumptions of other's actions in a fluid traffic situation.

What you recommend here would never be taught in a MSF beginner course or any safety instruction.

I don't post this to single you out but because you have garnered approval on this tactic from other forum members and IMO this is a bad way to think and to ride. In road safety, the most conservative view and the way that skews the chain-of-events odds most in your favor is the best & safest approach. In traffic trust no one, only trust yourself.

cderalow
06-09-2015, 08:25 AM
ohwell

I see that at least once a week...

I've tried it once... it was so uncomfy I'm not sure how people manage to ride around like that for more than a few minutes.

soulspinner
06-09-2015, 09:10 AM
One I try to live by is:

Exactly this.

fiataccompli
06-09-2015, 10:01 AM
Sadly, I know of several local recent cases where a car has either pulled out or turned in front of cyclists where there has appeared to be eye contact (or a least, eyes opened and head generally facing the rider)...and these were most likely NOT malicious, intentional or whatever...just either poor judgment or distracted driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ultraman6970
06-09-2015, 10:07 AM
Anao... you are right asking riders to educate other riders.

But the main problem (and sorry if i sound rude ok?) in the cycling community with newbies and with experience riders is that the majority of the newbies dont want to listen, the majority of the experience riders dont give damm about the newbies as long as they drop them (people is nasty competitive sometimes).

IN the group that usually have accidents (the only one we know of) here in the area, you can tell there's people that been riding for a long time and doing just rookies crap, like riding in the middle of the road and do not teach the others, their riding is just as dangerous as the newbies. With such a teachers what else the other brainiacks are going to learn?? The newbies dont want to even look the others, the look and learn process is just insanely broken and sadly with cycling you learn by looking and mimicking (sp?).

So when you hear about groups having accidents every week is just insane that will happen, sure more than somebody seen group rides that are more like a "monkey's b-day celebration" than an organized group.

Since people dont want to listen and even the people that is in charge of the newbies really suck, how do you fix the problem?? hard you know.

You can't discount car drivers, but at some point if your ride is solid pretty much the risk of accidents is below (and counting some luck too) average. Luckily i never had accidents in the streets, Ive had close calls tho... but I'm always paying attention to everything all the time too.

Spinner
06-09-2015, 10:07 AM
Where you look is where you will go.

David Kirk
06-09-2015, 10:43 AM
Sadly, I know of several local recent cases where a car has either pulled out or turned in front of cyclists where there has appeared to be eye contact (or a least, eyes opened and head generally facing the rider)...and these were most likely NOT malicious, intentional or whatever...just either poor judgment or distracted driving.

I've experienced the same thing for decades now. I think all too many drivers see a human form not it a car and consider it to me a stationary object and not one headed at them at 15-30 mph. So they look me in the eye and then pull right out as if i wasn't there.

I ride as if I'm invisible and find I have the best outcome with that.

dave

tiretrax
06-09-2015, 10:50 AM
Where you look is where you will go.

Much more succinct than my advice.

Here's one more - check your tires and tire pressure before each ride.

professerr
06-09-2015, 12:30 PM

The eye contact thing is tricky. I definitely try to make eye contact because it is better than not doing so, but the sunglasses, helments, windshields and distance all make this difficult. Not to mention I need to watch where I'm going. And even when I do make eye contact, I still look for other cues, like a nod, a wave or the car's motion to determine the driver's intent. Sometimes the driver makes eye contact and he's the one thinking that must mean I've seen him and therefore it is OK for him to do whatever he was planning.

On a different note, some new guys are terrified of descending, but others are not, and quickly become overconfident in their abilities. It is good to be relaxed of course, but I'll see guys descending 40 MPH down a winding road go right over fallen rocks because they weren't paying attention, or cross the double yellow while checking out the view.

So be especially focused while descending. On many descents I'll do what I was taught when learning to fly: I'll run through possible scenarios in my head and mentally plan what I would do if something went wrong. This may have saved my life on a descent the other day when a car coming up the hill crossed over into my lane to pass a climbing cyclist. I had played out exactly that scenario in my head earlier, decided that if that happened I would not be able to get out of the way because I was too close to the double yellow, and then adjusted my position in the road to give me more cushion. That cushion turned out to be key.

gngroup
06-09-2015, 01:00 PM
keep saying it Dave - excellent advice and worth re-posting IMO.

thanks -

dave

BobO
06-09-2015, 01:42 PM
And even when I do make eye contact, I still look for other cues, like a nod, a wave or the car's motion to determine the driver's intent. Sometimes the driver makes eye contact and he's the one thinking that must mean I've seen him and therefore it is OK for him to do whatever he was planning.

This is a very good point. I can't count the number of times I've had a driver look right at me, then promptly pull out anyway.

Ti Designs
06-11-2015, 10:58 AM
OK, let's educate the noobs. If you're new to teaching, here's how it works: There are three stages to the learning process, the cognitive stage, the associative stage and the autonomous stage. The cognitive stage (also known as the verbal stage) is gaining the understanding of what must happen. The motion is slow and controlled at first while the skill set is learned. The associative stage is the real learning part where the cognitive control is replaced with a learned skill set. The autonomous stage is when the skill set has replaced the need for cognitive control, things happen seemingly by themselves.

Giving someone a long list of things to do is no part of the learning process. I could explain in many steps how to do something, but you still couldn't do it. You would need to follow the learning process. That's how it works. This is understood for a great many things, and somehow ignored when it comes to riding a bike.

One of the local bike shops runs a new rider clinic every spring, one of the guys who teaches it also teaches a CPR class. The CPR class is done step by step, testing every step of the way. The cycling class is a couple of riders throwing helpful hints at them. When asked about this they said "we don't have time to teach every skill to every rider", and yet they can teach CPR to the point of certification...

Learning involves the student concentrating on one thing while the teacher watches the big picture - this process works for teaching new cyclists as well. It's fine to have a long list of things they need to learn, as long as you give them time to learn them one at a time.

mg2ride
06-11-2015, 11:15 AM
OK, let's educate the noobs. If you're new to teaching, here's how it works: There are three stages to the learning process, the cognitive stage, the associative stage and the autonomous stage. The cognitive stage (also known as the verbal stage) is gaining the understanding of what must happen. The motion is slow and controlled at first while the skill set is learned. The associative stage is the real learning part where the cognitive control is replaced with a learned skill set. The autonomous stage is when the skill set has replaced the need for cognitive control, things happen seemingly by themselves.

Giving someone a long list of things to do is no part of the learning process. I could explain in many steps how to do something, but you still couldn't do it. You would need to follow the learning process. That's how it works. This is understood for a great many things, and somehow ignored when it comes to riding a bike.

One of the local bike shops runs a new rider clinic every spring, one of the guys who teaches it also teaches a CPR class. The CPR class is done step by step, testing every step of the way. The cycling class is a couple of riders throwing helpful hints at them. When asked about this they said "we don't have time to teach every skill to every rider", and yet they can teach CPR to the point of certification...

Learning involves the student concentrating on one thing while the teacher watches the big picture - this process works for teaching new cyclists as well. It's fine to have a long list of things they need to learn, as long as you give them time to learn them one at a time.

Thanks for providing us with the list of things to do to educate people!

Remind me again as to what step providing the list is?