PDA

View Full Version : Modern steel race(y) bikes

stephenmarklay
06-08-2015, 09:17 AM
I have been saying to my wife to prepare her, “this is the year of the bike”.

I have a new Specialized Allez coming that will be more of a tool. A training tool and racing tool. It won’t dazzle me in beauty but won’t leave me with excuses when I can’t cut it.

However, I am also looking to get a nice modern steel bike. I really like the Lemond Washoe with enve fork. However, I am not sure if its is a value leader for what you get. Maybe it is?

What other bikes fit in this category? Something that an enve fork looks good with and builds up reasonably light.

sandyrs
06-08-2015, 09:20 AM
Wraith Fabrications makes one... so do De Rosa and Battaglin:

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0380/7677/products/fullbike.jpg?v=1400357285

http://www.derosanews.com/modules/DeRosa/images/bici/corum2015840_red,devil.jpg

http://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/server4400/ox79uhj/products/35086/images/87414/Battaglin_Power_Plus_Black__64793.1425506544.1000. 1200.jpg?c=2

Mayhem
06-08-2015, 09:33 AM
I personally would like to build up a Breezer Venturi. It's the only hydroformed steel frame I know of. You can get a frameset for a pretty good price.

http://bicycletimesmag.com/review-breezer-venturi/

http://www.breezerbikes.com/bikes/details/venturi-frameset

http://www.breezerbikes.com/images/products/2015/venturi-frameset/high/2014_Breezer_Venturi_Frameset_FRONT.jpg

eddief
06-08-2015, 09:41 AM
avoid weird bottom bracket standards.

CUSTOM S3 ROAD
High Performance / For the gram counter…super light.
TRUE TEMPER “S3” Super Strong Steel.

$1,125

ANAO
06-08-2015, 09:43 AM
Condor Super Acciaio.

http://www.condorcycles.com/Condor-Bikes/24855-Condor-Super-Acciaio-Frameset/flypage.tpl.html

http://www.condorcycles.com/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/0000000379.jpg

jmoore
06-08-2015, 09:49 AM
CUSTOM S3 ROAD

$1,125

this

RyanH
06-08-2015, 09:51 AM
Rob English is one of my favorite builders:

http://www.englishcycles.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Blue_Twins_English_Web_001_1956.jpg

Black Dog
06-08-2015, 09:53 AM
Why not ask Dave Kirk or Kelly Bedford (or many other great builders) to build you an amazing steel bike that will do whatever you need it to do. Steel is still very race ready.

bcroslin
06-08-2015, 09:53 AM
Cielo Road Racer - frame set runs about $2400

http://cielo.chrisking.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/cielo_roadracer_azul_full.jpg

Gordito
06-08-2015, 10:11 AM
So much builders. Depends on your budget and if you want custom or batch with standard geometry that can lower the price.

With your description, any builder that do TIG or fillet and have good skills to design race bikes will make you the frame you require and will look good with a modern carbon fork.
Lugs won't make you lose a race but yes it's heavier and you will want a steel fork to keep the classic look.

Just to give you an idea, that's what I would get for a "modern steel bike" with the customisation and experience/contact with the builder.

http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2015/24/1433776268-14161360517-3c2ca6dbe5-k-800x534.jpg

stephenmarklay
06-08-2015, 10:18 AM
avoid weird bottom bracket standards.

CUSTOM S3 ROAD

$1,125

Well shoot they are in my backyard!

FlashUNC
06-08-2015, 10:26 AM
Call Roland Della Santa. Tell him what you want. Budget some time for some great stories from the old days.

Box should show up on your doorstep in a few months with a legit steel race bike.

JasonF
06-08-2015, 10:40 AM
Can't believe Pegoretti hasn't been mentioned yet - a premier builder of steel race bikes. If you don't want to go custom (that will also entail a wait)...a wide variety of sizes are available from the distributor. Visit http://www.bikyle.com/Pegoretti_2015.htm for details/pricing.

Responsorium: $$$$$
Marcelo: $$$$
Duende: $$$

mg2ride
06-08-2015, 10:43 AM
Save you money on the frame and put it into wheels.

Get a used Serotta that has the right dimensions.

jr59
06-08-2015, 10:45 AM
Gunnar, but the Curtlo is a hard price point to beat.

DeSalvo may be another

jghall
06-08-2015, 10:50 AM
Bunch of them;

Strong
Desalvo
Kirk
Bedford
Peg
Cyfac
etc.

eddief
06-08-2015, 11:02 AM
It is a he = Doug Curtiss. If you decide to use his services I may have some tips.

Well shoot they are in my backyard!

stephenmarklay
06-08-2015, 11:05 AM
It is a he = Doug Curtiss. If you decide to use his services, I suggest you discuss it with me. I may have some tips.

Gotcha. I may just do that.

stephenmarklay
06-08-2015, 11:06 AM
Call Roland Della Santa. Tell him what you want. Budget some time for some great stories from the old days.

Box should show up on your doorstep in a few months with a legit steel race bike.

You know that would be very cool.

oldpotatoe
06-08-2015, 11:13 AM
I have been saying to my wife to prepare her, “this is the year of the bike”.

I have a new Specialized Allez coming that will be more of a tool. A training tool and racing tool. It won’t dazzle me in beauty but won’t leave me with excuses when I can’t cut it.

However, I am also looking to get a nice modern steel bike. I really like the Lemond Washoe with enve fork. However, I am not sure if its is a value leader for what you get. Maybe it is?

What other bikes fit in this category? Something that an enve fork looks good with and builds up reasonably light.

Waterford r-33-all custom

Http://www.waterfordbikes.com

StanleySteamer
06-08-2015, 11:14 AM
Take advantage of the weak Canadian dollar and consider a Marinoni Pumia. It is made with Columbus Spirit Tubes.

mhespenheide
06-08-2015, 12:13 PM
Short of buying used, or taking advantage of the weak Canadian dollar, you're going to be hard-pressed to find a better value than Doug Curtlo, particularly since you're only a few hours away from him and can go there for a fitting.

ANAO
06-08-2015, 12:19 PM
It is a he = Doug Curtiss. If you decide to use his services I may have some tips.

What tips are these? I'm considering giving Doug a call when the weather cools down.

Uncle Jam's Army
06-08-2015, 12:41 PM
Soulcraft. Check them out.

Auk
06-08-2015, 12:59 PM
Gaulzetti Cazzo. K.Bedford is maning the welder (and paint I think) on these now.

stephenmarklay
06-08-2015, 01:06 PM
Man I am glad I asked. So many great ideas.

giverdada
06-08-2015, 01:16 PM
I'd get another Strong if I had cash and an exchange rate that didn't kick my @$$. As it rests, the Curtlo is a killer deal. Further, the Canadian dollar is so crap right now, you could probably pick up a couple of Marinoni framesets for the price of one new one elsewhere. And you should budget for respray, as their paint is pretty weak and prone to chips. Otherwise great bikes and that man is just awesome!

stephenmarklay
06-08-2015, 05:12 PM
You know it might be cool to have a 953 bike.

mg2ride
06-08-2015, 06:31 PM
Assuming you want a custom:

If price is not the driving factor and you want the best frame available coupled with top notch customer service get a Dave kirk.

If price is the driving factor and you are willing to sacrifice a bit on paint and customer service get a Curtlo.

Joachim
06-08-2015, 06:41 PM
Yes to Kirk. I'm the owner of Dave's new full stainless frame, actually mine is Inox #1. Double oversize lugged stainless 953. One of the best race bikes I have ever ridden. Get one.

Cicli
06-08-2015, 06:46 PM
That Wraith is an interesting looking bike.
Too bad its all dressed up with shram and those cheesy wheels.

Bob Ross
06-08-2015, 06:57 PM
I'm the owner of Dave's new full stainless frame, actually mine is Inox #1. Double oversize lugged stainless 953. One of the best race bikes I have ever ridden.

Have we seen pics?

Mayhem
06-08-2015, 07:15 PM
Choose your model, tubing, decals, color scheme and all build options and get the total price with their online frame builder. Along with a screen shot of your new frame. Reasonable price.

http://www.merciancycles.co.uk/frames

StephenCL
06-08-2015, 07:26 PM
I am lucky enough to run an entire team racing on steel bikes.

Mike Zanconato puts out a killer steel rig. Most of the team is riding tig welded max tubing frames with Enve 2.0 forks. My own bike built up with race wheels was under 16.5..

Zanconatoracing.blogspot.com

There have been some other great names mentioned here..I have a couple lugged frames that Dave Kirk brazed, Goodrich and Sachs both make great race bikes too...

Lots of great options...

Stephen

Joachim
06-08-2015, 07:28 PM
Have we seen pics?

Kirk007
06-08-2015, 07:32 PM
Can't go wrong with many of these, and as an owner of a Kirk and a Peg, they are very fine, fine bikes.

If your looking at a a slightly lower price point, and probably shorter lead time for custom, I would take a really, really long hard look at this: http://www.hampsten.com/portfolio/superissimo/

In fact I was just at Hampco towers and did take a long hard look at this bike i very very nice indeed.

Dallez
06-08-2015, 07:41 PM
Ritchey Road Logic frame, fork, and headset. Approx $1250.

I have one of these and also echoing an earlier suggestion to buy a used Serotta, I have a used 1991 Serotta Colorado II that I bought this spring and put the extra money into wheels.

Love them both. They are both steel so I find them to be far more alike than different. I'm sure a lot of that has to do with my skill level. A pro might be more discerning. I think the carbon fork in the ritchey might absorb a little more road buzz but otherwise they are both great.

john903
06-08-2015, 07:42 PM
My vote would be Curtlo because He is right in your own back yard. Also I had him build my all rounder fix gear/single speed/1X9 do it all bike it is everything I asked for. When I lived in Bellingham I sent all my sizing info then asked if I could come over and see the shop and while I was there He took some measurements just to make sure. He has a great price and builds a very good use full build it is not a pristine show piece but it is still a very usable well made frame that fits me like a well tailored suit.
I have been thinking lately of getting another frame and I would go with Curtlo again this time a full on S3 race bike build.
Have a great day.

stephenmarklay
06-08-2015, 07:51 PM
Yes to Kirk. I'm the owner of Dave's new full stainless frame, actually mine is Inox #1. Double oversize lugged stainless 953. One of the best race bikes I have ever ridden. Get one.

It would be a dream bike for sure. It may be cost prohibitive for me.

shovelhd
06-08-2015, 07:53 PM

Mike Zanconato puts out a killer steel rig. Most of the team is riding tig welded max tubing frames with Enve 2.0 forks. My own bike built up with race wheels was under 16.5..

They really stand out in the field. Nice kits, too.

stephenmarklay
06-08-2015, 07:53 PM

There have been some other great names mentioned here..I have a couple lugged frames that Dave Kirk brazed, Goodrich and Sachs both make great race bikes too...

Lots of great options...

Stephen

That is just awesome they are running steel. I would love to do that. I would not do it on a crit as that may get sad very fast. :)

stephenmarklay
06-08-2015, 07:56 PM
Can't go wrong with many of these, and as an owner of a Kirk and a Peg, they are very fine, fine bikes.

If your looking at a a slightly lower price point, and probably shorter lead time for custom, I would take a really, really long hard look at this: http://www.hampsten.com/portfolio/superissimo/

In fact I was just at Hampco towers and did take a long hard look at this bike i very very nice indeed.

No doubt I have seen some really fine hampsten bikes.

stephenmarklay
06-08-2015, 07:57 PM
They really stand out in the field. Nice kits, too.

For sure one on the top of the list.

stephenmarklay
06-08-2015, 07:58 PM
My vote would be Curtlo because He is right in your own back yard. Also I had him build my all rounder fix gear/single speed/1X9 do it all bike it is everything I asked for. When I lived in Bellingham I sent all my sizing info then asked if I could come over and see the shop and while I was there He took some measurements just to make sure. He has a great price and builds a very good use full build it is not a pristine show piece but it is still a very usable well made frame that fits me like a well tailored suit.
I have been thinking lately of getting another frame and I would go with Curtlo again this time a full on S3 race bike build.
Have a great day.

Nice. I could also drive over which is a bonus. Come to think of it I can go see Dave Kirk too :)

stephenmarklay
06-08-2015, 08:00 PM
Ritchey Road Logic frame, fork, and headset. Approx $1250.

I have one of these and also echoing an earlier suggestion to buy a used Serotta, I have a used 1991 Serotta Colorado II that I bought this spring and put the extra money into wheels.

Love them both. They are both steel so I find them to be far more alike than different. I'm sure a lot of that has to do with my skill level. A pro might be more discerning. I think the carbon fork in the ritchey might absorb a little more road buzz but otherwise they are both great.

My first real road bike was a seritta cr. loved that bike. There are so many GREAT choices. It's going to come down to the one that speaks to me.

Uncle Jam's Army
06-08-2015, 08:06 PM

····, Joachim, when did this happen?! I know it was in the works, but details please?

stephenmarklay
06-08-2015, 08:08 PM
I'm torn on the beauty of brazed/tig simplicity or sporty lugs like a steelman. Oh the choices.

shovelhd
06-08-2015, 08:09 PM
That is just awesome they are running steel. I would love to do that. I would not do it on a crit as that may get sad very fast. :)

You know, I really get tired hearing about how dangerous crits are. Yeah, a lot of little wrecks can happen in short races on technical courses but most of the time everyone gets out alive. It's road races and hilly time trials where things can get really dicey really fast. One moment of inattention or a wrong move in a tight downhill turn and there's no room for error. You may have more of chance to crash in a crit but you have more of a chance to get seriously hurt in a road race or hilly TT, especially on a TT bike.

Another popular myth is the Crash 5 category. Sure, there are a lot of boneheads in Cat5 but most of the time they are timid enough to leave themselves enough space to stay out of each other's way, at least until the race matters. I've seen bonehead moves in every category. The higher the ability level, the more aggressive the racing is (at least until teamwork takes over) yet the more accomplished the riders are, which makes things safer in general. I feel safer in a P/1/2 field than any other.

rpm
06-08-2015, 08:14 PM
Nothing wrong with the Washoe. Fully equipped, it looks like a very good value if you can fit a stock bike. It's welded in Portland (not sure by whom), and painted and assembled in Minneapolis. His old Trek 853 bikes had a lot of fans. My son raced one in college and had it until it was stolen out of his garage in San Francisco. He has a Felt carbon now, but he still gets nostalgic for his LeMond. I rented one a couple of times. It didn't really fit and it had a mish-mash of parts, but still it felt good to ride.

Disclaimer: I need custom frames and I have two Strongs. Can't go wrong with a Bozeman bike, too.

choke
06-08-2015, 08:35 PM
It's welded in Portland (not sure by whom) Zen Bicycle Fabrication

giordana93
06-08-2015, 08:44 PM
Really can't go wrong with any of the choices above. Hampsten are in Seattle.

stephenmarklay
06-08-2015, 09:05 PM
You know, I really get tired hearing about how dangerous crits are. Yeah, a lot of little wrecks can happen in short races on technical courses but most of the time everyone gets out alive. It's road races and hilly time trials where things can get really dicey really fast. One moment of inattention or a wrong move in a tight downhill turn and there's no room for error. You may have more of chance to crash in a crit but you have more of a chance to get seriously hurt in a road race or hilly TT, especially on a TT bike.

Another popular myth is the Crash 5 category. Sure, there are a lot of boneheads in Cat5 but most of the time they are timid enough to leave themselves enough space to stay out of each other's way, at least until the race matters. I've seen bonehead moves in every category. The higher the ability level, the more aggressive the racing is (at least until teamwork takes over) yet the more accomplished the riders are, which makes things safer in general. I feel safer in a P/1/2 field than any other.

Well I was not really trying to imply that they were more dangerous. Just good opportunity to scratch a nice frame. I crashed in a sprint finish on a road race so it happens everywhere. That is why I am getting the Allez anyway.

mistermo
06-08-2015, 09:22 PM
De Rosa Corum

http://italiancyclingjournal.blogspot.com/2010/04/men-of-steel-racing-club-de-rosa-corum.html

Peter P.
06-08-2015, 10:39 PM
If you're really gonna race on this bike, then I suggest you avoid all the custom builders.

Racing is cruel, and a crashed/bent frame can be expensive to repair, let alone time consuming.

I recommend a production or semi-production frame; something you can afford to "trash on Sunday and replace on Monday".

The Gunnar Roadie and the Ritchey Road Logic are two that come to mind; I'm sure there are others.

Save the custom built stuff for a pure training bike or for any non-racing pursuit unless you have deep pockets.

stephenmarklay
06-08-2015, 10:48 PM
If you're really gonna race on this bike, then I suggest you avoid all the custom builders.

Racing is cruel, and a crashed/bent frame can be expensive to repair, let alone time consuming.

I recommend a production or semi-production frame; something you can afford to "trash on Sunday and replace on Monday".

The Gunnar Roadie and the Ritchey Road Logic are two that come to mind; I'm sure there are others.

Save the custom built stuff for a pure training bike or for any non-racing pursuit unless you have deep pockets.

No I am not. I just just ordered an aluminum specialized for that nonsense.

soulspinner
06-09-2015, 06:05 AM
Amazing how many choices there are for a nice frame. Give Carl Strong a call. Twelve seasons later Im pulling a bike he built me in 2003 down to ride and leaving my carbon 3 pound lighter bike hanging on a hook at home..........

stephenmarklay
06-09-2015, 06:07 AM
Amazing how many choices there are for a nice frame. Give Carl Strong a call. Twelve seasons later Im pulling a bike he built me in 2003 down to ride and leaving my carbon 3 pound lighter bike hanging on a hook at home..........

Here here. It makes me happy there are so many top quality frame builders. Its almost silly to get a mass produced bike (which I did).