PDA

View Full Version : Michigan into Canada by bike question

oliver1850
06-08-2015, 12:00 AM
I have a tourist here who's headed to Toronto. He's going to spend some time in Chicago, but the route from there is not yet defined. I suggested he take the ferry across Lake MI to Ludington and cross into Canada somewhere in the Point Edward/Sarnia area. When I tried to map it on ridewithgps I got routed all the way down to Marine City/Sombra, presumably because of no bicycle access on the bridge into Point Edward. This adds nearly another day to the trip for a tourist, so I'm looking for local knowledge. Get a taxi, rent a boat, ride the bridge, or do the extra mileage?

PM me if you're on the path from Chicago to Toronto and want a guest for a night.

Bradford
06-08-2015, 12:47 AM
The Adventure Cycling maps give some options, but I'm not sure if they are direct enough for you. I find their maps to be pretty good routes if they fit your time table.

http://www.adventurecycling.org/routes-and-maps/adventure-cycling-route-network/interactive-network-map/

zmudshark
06-08-2015, 06:33 AM
There is a ferry from Marine City to Sombra.

http://www.bluewaterferry.com/

mtb_frk
06-08-2015, 06:34 AM
You may want to contact the blue water ramble organizers. I think the route used to go into Canada in the past. I have never done the ride and am just going on memory. It doesn't look like it crosses into Canada this year however.

http://www.lmb.org/crr/bwr2015.html

Ken Robb
06-08-2015, 10:23 AM
So many parts of Wisconsin are beautiful as is the north shore of Lake Superior that I wonder if heading north from Chicago would be a good route.

JanG
06-08-2015, 10:45 AM
It may be obvious, but the US/Canada border crossings now require a passport or other specific ID like a Nexus card. Someone who has not crossed the border in a while may not realize that the old days, when the crossings were mainly a toll booth and a formality, are long gone.

Jan

awdwon
06-08-2015, 12:24 PM
Hey, this is right where I live! I've not seen any bikes on the Bluewater bridge in many many years, they used to allow walkers as well but not anymore. I just did a little search and it looks as though it says that cyclists will be transported at the convenience of the Bluewater Bridge Authority. Here is a contact number:

Blue Water Bridge
MI Department of Transportation
1410 Elmwood Street
Port Huron, MI 48060
810-984-3131

As mentioned also, there is a ferry in Sombra/Marine City. If you need any more local info feel free to PM me.

oliver1850
06-08-2015, 09:22 PM
Thanks all.

awdwon: since you are the local, what do you recommend? Is it a nice area for cycling, or should he head for the UP? The alternative route is Green Bay/SSM/down to Toronto from the north. If you have ride pics from your area, please post.

Thanks

awdwon
06-08-2015, 09:34 PM
To be honest there isn't much scenery around here and it's pretty flat. Lake Huron is beautiful but if you pass through sarnia and head for toronto you'll pass it in a very short time. If one were to come across from the north you could come down through Huron/Bruce. Hit up Manitoulin island from the north then take the ferry down to Tobermory and head south towards Toronto. Way more scenic that way in my opinion.

zmudshark
06-08-2015, 09:49 PM
The East coast of MI is not the prettiest. It is flat, which may be nice for cycling. For scenic routes I would go North.

RonW87
06-09-2015, 09:56 AM
Bruce Peninsula to Toronto is a nice route. But you'll need to plan the route from Collingwood south. Look up "Hero Ride" on ridewithgps for a good route.