PDA

View Full Version : I seem to prefer wearing skinsuits.

Shortsocks
06-07-2015, 10:24 PM
So this is odd.
But a while back I bought a Pro Skin suit on ebay. For a really great price. And I loved how it fit/wore. Now I've bought 6 of them and I pretty much wear them on daily rotation. I ride usually a quick 30-40 miles a day, all the time I have.

On a side note, I'm 5'9 132, and can't ever seem to find kits that fit how I like, race fit tight, but skin suits do. I think it may be a bit toolish, but I can't seem to go back to wearing two piece kits anymore.

Has this ever happened to anyone here? Or is this just me?

stephenmarklay
06-07-2015, 10:26 PM
So this is odd.
But a while back I bought a Pro Skin suit on ebay. For a really great price. And I loved how it fit/wore. Now I've bought 6 of them and I pretty much wear them on daily rotation. I ride usually a quick 30-40 miles a day, all the time I have.

On a side note, I'm 5'9 132, and can't ever seem to find kits that fit how I like, race fit tight, but skin suits do. I think it may be a bit toolish, but I can't seem to go back to wearing two piece kits anymore.

Has this ever happened to anyone here? Or is this just me?

I think you are ok as long as you don’t start to wear them at work. Although seems a lot harder for natural breaks :)

fogrider
06-08-2015, 01:40 AM
since there are no pockets with skinsuits, I guess you put everything in your saddlebag...on some days, I deal with 20 degrees of temp change, so I may pull off my arm warmers and need to store them. I guess if you're only going out for 40 minutes, the temp is not going to change that much. but it sounds like you're on the crazy lightweight side.

Dead Man
06-08-2015, 02:23 AM
5'9 & 132? Do you climb like a machine?

Bruce K
06-08-2015, 04:25 AM
One of the guys in our group wears skinsuits pretty much every day

Some of our team suits have one small pocket (which helps, I guess)

He's comfortable so it's good

BK

Mayhem
06-08-2015, 05:28 AM
since there are no pockets with skinsuits

http://ep.yimg.com/ay/trisports/louis-garneau-men-s-course-skin-suit-78.jpg

carpediemracing
06-08-2015, 07:20 AM
I used to wear them all the time, when I was around your weight. Now, not so much :)

Many skinsuits have pockets. If it's a team kit then you can almost always specify a pocket (or three) as well as other things (longer or shorter sleeves/legs, etc), and for the real pretend pro skinsuits there's usually a smaller pocket with a hole for a radio, phone, whatever. I say that because some of our kit stuff is outfitted with such things, which I think it a bit funny because, you know, Cat 3. Still, though, if one rides with a wired headset to a phone, etc, I can see it working.

Burnette
06-08-2015, 07:23 AM
I bought a Richard Sachs skin suit last year and love the feel of it.
My usual kit goes like this:
Bibs (or tri suit fir the thin pads), sun sleeves or long sleeve base layer, jersey.
The skin replaces all of those and feels so much better. No pressure points or bunching anywhere.
Riding without a bunch of junk hanging off my back is awesome.
For longish rides, my usual kit above is the go to for the utility of it. Bars, jel, cell phone and whatnot needs pockets.
But for short fast rides, the skin suit rules. It's like riding naked, except it's perfectly legal and doesn't scare the kids.

tv_vt
06-08-2015, 07:36 AM
Skinsuits are just plain fast. And if you're not fat, to put it bluntly, they look great, too. Even mentally, there's a real placebo effect when you slip into that slinky stuff.

I wouldn't mind finding a Castelli speed suit on sale - best of everything, from what I can tell (except price).

charliedid
06-08-2015, 07:40 AM
It would be wrong for me or anyone else to judge you. Wear whatever flips yer wig.

Cut-offs or skinsuit, if you are riding, you are riding.

John H.
06-08-2015, 11:00 AM
Most of the pro peloton in Europe are wearing skinsuits.
http://www.rapha.cc/us/en_US/shop/pro-team-aerosuit/product/PAS01
Castelli has them, Vermarc, etc.
Basically a skinsuit with pockets, more breathable top, and front flaps open more like a full zip jersey.

Not for everyone, but at your height/weight I am sure you can pull it off.

enr1co
06-08-2015, 12:10 PM
Not for everyone, but at your height/weight I am sure you can pull it off.

Once upon a time, also found them easy to throw on and cooler (temp) on warmer days. Im too lumpy to wear them these days :(

With your descriptive build, you should fit them well! Keep wearing them as long as they feel good to you.

berserk87
06-08-2015, 01:06 PM
I wear a skinsuit when on my TT bike. I train on it for events and don't ride it as often as my road bike. The chamois seems better positioned in mine for riding in the aero tuck, so it's a matter of comfort and not streamlining for my training rides.

As far as pockets go, I just wear a lightweight jersey over the skinsuit when doing training rides, just to hold my phone, spare tire, and stuff.

When doing a TT, I just wear the skinsuit, obviously - then it becomes an issue of drag reduction.

Uncle Jam's Army
06-08-2015, 01:16 PM
I am far from the ideal body type for a skinsuit. Think Nacho Libre. But I like wearing my Castelli Speedsuit because it makes me feel sexy.😜

tiretrax
06-08-2015, 01:23 PM
I am far from the ideal body type for a skinsuit. Think Nacho Libre. But I like wearing my Castelli Speedsuit because it makes me feel sexy.��

Been thinking of doing the same, even though I am similarly proportioned. If only Castelli made a matching speedsuit mask.

Uncle Jam's Army
06-08-2015, 01:25 PM
if only castelli made a matching speedsuit mask.

👍😜

CheshireCat
06-08-2015, 02:25 PM
I love the Champsys Crit suit. Two pockets in back, just in the right spot, too.

We used em for endurance (not enduro) MTB racing. With 8-12 hours of racing ahead, it's nice to know the kit won't slip around and cause any chafing. Plus, every little bit of aero counts (joking...MTB...aero? haha...)

but seriously the champsys stuff with the new endurance shami is pretty frickin amazing. Their summer skinsuit is to die for in the hot summer months.

Shortsocks
06-08-2015, 04:22 PM
Thanks guys for the responses.

All of the suits but 2 have pockets, but most of the time I put my phone in my right leg, it holds on to it like a boa.

It just feels cleaner when I ride with the suit on. And the Suits don't stretch like the Jersey's do. Skin Tight. But I agree, with you guys with my build it just seems to fit better and as vain as it is, I seem to "Pull it off". But Manufacturers dont often make kits Jerseys/Bibs that fit me very well. Giordana for Example doesn't make a single model, even the Race Fit stuff in a XS that fit me very well at all. Some Manufacturers I have to stay away from all together.

On the bottoms Generally an XS fits me very well, in a Race Fit, but tops...its worthless. I even went to wearing a Women's cycling tops, but im Flat as a board, and you can see a couple of Bumps where my boobs would go if I had some.....so that doesnt work. :banana:

I know. I know. First world Problems. Dont feel bad for me.
It Doesnt help that I have 34 inch long Legs (I supposed to have a 29-30 inch) and a Short Torso. I just look like a Goofy Bast**d all together. The Problem with the XS Shorts is the Inseam is shorter than Normal, so i look like a triathlete with Chicken Legs. If I go with a Small, then its too wide for my Thighs. Ha!

Also, it seems on Ebay, I can get XS Time Trial Suits, made by Nalini, Santini, bunch of other manufacturers really cheaply. Sometimes for less that 20 bucks new...I guess there are fewer people interested in buying Suits that are 14-15 inches from pit to pit, so they must go for less.

shovelhd
06-08-2015, 08:26 PM
That eBay stuff is counterfeit unless it's used.

aramis
06-08-2015, 10:56 PM
Thanks guys for the responses.

All of the suits but 2 have pockets, but most of the time I put my phone in my right leg, it holds on to it like a boa.

It just feels cleaner when I ride with the suit on. And the Suits don't stretch like the Jersey's do. Skin Tight. But I agree, with you guys with my build it just seems to fit better and as vain as it is, I seem to "Pull it off". But Manufacturers dont often make kits Jerseys/Bibs that fit me very well. Giordana for Example doesn't make a single model, even the Race Fit stuff in a XS that fit me very well at all. Some Manufacturers I have to stay away from all together.

On the bottoms Generally an XS fits me very well, in a Race Fit, but tops...its worthless. I even went to wearing a Women's cycling tops, but im Flat as a board, and you can see a couple of Bumps where my boobs would go if I had some.....so that doesnt work. :banana:

It Doesnt help that I have 34 inch long Legs (I supposed to have a 29-30 inch) and a Short Torso. I just look like a Goofy Bast**d all together. The Problem with the XS Shorts is the Inseam is shorter than Normal, so i look like a triathlete with Chicken Legs. If I go with a Small, then its too wide for my Thighs. Ha!

Also, it seems on Ebay, I can get XS Time Trial Suits, made by Nalini, Santini, bunch of other manufacturers really cheaply. Sometimes for less that 20 bucks new...I guess there are fewer people interested in buying Suits that are 14-15 inches from pit to pit, so they must go for less.

The track has me riding all the time in onesies now too. They probably make more difference in speed than the latest $3000 zipp wheels too.

The castelli San remo is awesome but they are expensive. Anyone care to list off more cheaper choices with pockets? I have a Nalini one with one pocket that's ok and some regular castelli/hincapie ones with no pockets I only use at the track.

brando
06-09-2015, 01:49 AM
I also am looking for a cheap option with a pocket. Plain white would be even better if anyone has a lead.

CheshireCat
06-09-2015, 03:11 AM

Whoah. You're like a skinny version of me.

Or rather, I'm like a fatter version of you who rides for beer and ice cream.

can I have your bikes when you're done with them? :hello: They'll fit me perfectly!