PDA

View Full Version : creaks

Fixed
04-26-2006, 09:02 PM
bro do all mavic q.r. 's creak?
cheers .... alum. bikes seem to make a lot weird noise or is it just mine ?

dave thompson
04-26-2006, 09:13 PM
I've not had good luck with Mavic QRs. Often under application of power, they will allow the rear wheel to slip in the dropouts. A different QR, usually Shimano, always cures the problem. I wonder if your creaking QR is an indication of slight slippage?

Fixed
04-26-2006, 09:28 PM
bro that is the case shimanos are going in next ride . it only does it when i jam .. I have to lock down the front q.r. real tight to make almost go away
cheers

lnomalley
04-26-2006, 09:38 PM
alum bikes that start with the letter C are infamous for creaking.

Grant McLean
04-26-2006, 09:47 PM
bro, mavic qr's also known to rattle like a can a spray paint.

They need to be really tight. My front wheel on the dale sounds
crunchy if the qr isn't locked and loaded. Then it's fine.

g

chrisroph
04-26-2006, 09:55 PM
Bro, they need lots of grease and to be tight.

CalfeeFly
04-26-2006, 10:51 PM
They are probably like the Salsa's I had. Grease the contact with the dropout on the quick release side and it should fix it fine. Then make them tight as suggested. It is annoying as all get out. Look at it on the bright side...you know it is the skewers and you aren't taking your bottom bracket apart and anything else that is possible.

stevep
04-27-2006, 05:45 AM
deep six those fool things.
they s**ck.
see if i can slip that through serotta andrews careful gaze.

Too Tall
04-27-2006, 06:45 AM
Crap filter got you Steve ;)
Dewd!!! What Steve said. Ditch those skewers. Clamping them down extra tight is not a good idea...they will pop. Get DA or Salsa.

Kevin
04-27-2006, 06:49 AM
Get a pair of Bold Precision QRs. They are light and super quiet.

Kevin

sspielman
04-27-2006, 07:09 AM
Mavic seems to have gone from the top of the heap to the bottom of the barrel with respect to quick releases. In my experience, the alloy quick releases that were supplied with the Helium wheels were great ..strong..secure...never gave problems. However, it seems that somebody at Mavic must have hired an unemployed plastics.... er um ...."composites" engineer left over from Simplex to figure out what alloy parts they could replace with plastic. I find it very difficult to find fault with ANYTHING that Mavic makes, but they have come up short on the plastic skewers

chrisroph
04-27-2006, 08:13 AM
I had a mavic plastic qr on my mtn bike tubeless wheels break. It has since been replaced by a nice old campy skewer. I'm also running a steel dr on my rear ksyrium. The mavic qr's are pretty bad and if you have a wheel moving you should surely replace it.

Big Dan
04-27-2006, 08:19 AM
Fixed, bro break out the grease!!!!! imho....
Cannondales are great bikes, but also on the noisy side. Try a different QR and put grease on other spots like the seatpost and so on...You can ask Vax he has good luck keeping his Cannondale quiet.... :cool:

sspielman
04-27-2006, 08:39 AM
It is really tough to track down a noise in an aluminum bike, so you have to extra careful at buildup and maintenance time to add a little prevention. In addition to some of the previously mentioned items, here are a few others that I have seen:
* Make sure that the BB cups are tight and the threads greased or coated with anti-seize compound
* Make sure that the seatpost is well greased and the that the seatpost collar is clean and greased as well (does not apply to carbon posts)
*Make sure that the front derailleur clamp is clean and properly tightened.
*This is the big one...If the bike has replaceable rear dropout(s), try taking them apart, cleaning the mating surfaces with scotchbrite, greasing the mating surfaces and re-assemble.....make sure that the securing bolts are nice and tight...you may want to use loctite on the bolts.
*Another common culprit is the expander plug in a threadless fork....make sure it is properly tightened (or better yet epoxied in place)...and check that the stem clamping bolts are properly tightened...

It is really tough to locate and isolate a sound on an aluminum bike, so you can't afford to leave any stone unturned....

Fixed
04-27-2006, 08:50 AM
bro it only creaks when I'm sprinting above 90% effort I think is the front q.r. cos I stoped and tighted it and it almost went away... thanks for all the good advise I'll try it thanks again bros
cheers