PDA

View Full Version : Is this fixable

dsimon
06-07-2015, 09:44 AM
and is it under warranty? came bake from a ride the lockring was loose and this is what i found after closer inspection

Cicli
06-07-2015, 09:49 AM
yes, or no..
depends, no picture.:confused:

Gsinill
06-07-2015, 09:53 AM
You need to ask The Expert (www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKorP55Aqvg)

On a serious note, a picture would help ;)

dsimon
06-07-2015, 09:55 AM
HAHAH you clown photos are not working right at this moment

dsimon
06-07-2015, 10:04 AM
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@thepaceline.net and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Cicli
06-07-2015, 10:05 AM
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@thepaceline.net and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

Resize your pic.

fjaws
06-07-2015, 10:20 AM
Just changed one on and XT hub for a customer (same sort of failure). Shimano sent the replacement free of charge and said they had a batch with a bad casting.

dsimon
06-07-2015, 10:28 AM
oops sorry its a chris king r45

thirdgenbird
06-07-2015, 10:31 AM
It appear that this hub has been laced more than once. Do you know the full history?

dsimon
06-07-2015, 10:33 AM
yea and not laced more than once bought brand new 28 hole r45 2x crashed once did an endo and had the same guy who built them retrue them thats it that was two years ago

thirdgenbird
06-07-2015, 10:44 AM
The impressions on the spoke holes make it look like it was laced outside pulling at one point.

mg2ride
06-07-2015, 11:58 AM
I'm very sorry that happened to you.

In my opinion attempting to fix that would be cost prohibitive and would not be considered a intellectually advanced thing to do.

guyintense
06-07-2015, 12:06 PM
If you remove the axle that part pops right out, easy operation. I bet Chris King will send you a new one if you call them tomorrow.

eBAUMANN
06-07-2015, 12:09 PM
The impressions on the spoke holes make it look like it was laced outside pulling at one point.

100% agree with this. That hub was laced twice.

I've also heard of this happening before with r45 campy freehubs, I believe it was a known defect of a particular batch or something, almost certain CK will send you a new one if you get in touch.

Lovetoclimb
06-07-2015, 12:22 PM
Regardless of how many times it was built, shouldn't it be covered under the 5 year warranty if bought from an authorized CK dealer?

likebikes
06-07-2015, 12:25 PM

Which has absolutely nothing to do with the pictured freehub failure.

dsimon
06-07-2015, 01:32 PM
Thanks so much

eBAUMANN
06-07-2015, 01:35 PM
Regardless of how many times it was built, shouldn't it be covered under the 5 year warranty if bought from an authorized CK dealer?

Ive seen a lot of reputable companies (thomson and zipp come to mind) replace defective parts without proof of purchase and/or outside of warranty, dependent on the nature of the failure. A freehub should never break like that...let alone one made by CK. Inside or outside of warranty, they will likely replace it purely to maintain their rep.

thirdgenbird
06-07-2015, 01:40 PM
Which has absolutely nothing to do with the pictured freehub failure.

Not directly, but if it was a used hub, we have no idea what it's history is. from my experience, all bets are off on used parts. Lots of "mechanics" out there. I could see a grossly overtorqued lock ring cracking an alloy freehub body.

Personally, I would be very upset if I paid for a new ck hub and received one that was previously laced. Especially laced differently.

It should, yes. As Eric mentioned I bet they replace it anyway. That doesn't change the fact that I think this hub has a hidden history.

oldpotatoe
06-08-2015, 08:50 AM

When I take a pic with my camera, then put on desktop from iphoto, I get the same thing. If from Iphone, not..re-sized or not...???