PDA

View Full Version : Which carbon bar, stem and seatpost combo

stephenmarklay
06-07-2015, 06:42 AM
I am getting a my new specialized allez next week but I need to get these times as well as a seat to fit the bike to me. Since this will be my competitive bike I am want to go lighter than not.

I could just use specialized bits but I am a not very current on what is good out there in components. I need a 25mm setback post so they have to make that.

I rode a bike last week with aero bars and while they were nothing special until I got down into a time trial position and felt how comfy they are on the arms. I could do a bar/stem integrated unit also if it makes sense.

Thoughts?

jwess1234
06-07-2015, 06:51 AM
I really like the Fizik setback post (http://www.fizik.it/components/seatpostuk/cyrano-seatpost-r1/). My buddy has the bar/stem and likes them.

They are clean looking and thus far the seatpost has taken quite a beating (I previously cracked a Cannondale seatpost--or the shop overtorqued).

joosttx
06-07-2015, 07:56 AM
I just added a fizik handlebar (00) stem (r01) and seatpost (01) they look great and do the job well. I would recommend them.

Uncle Jam's Army
06-07-2015, 08:52 AM
Ritchey Superlogic Carbon.

FlashUNC
06-07-2015, 09:10 AM
If you're racing, aero bars will be a no-no.

Fizik and Ritchey alloy stuff is pretty great in my experience.

kramnnim
06-07-2015, 10:20 AM
Enve.

John H.
06-07-2015, 10:35 AM
Seems odd to me that you are getting 105 parts but are concerned about a carbon bar, post and maybe stem.
I would get an Ultegra bike before I spent money like that.
That said, the Specialized house brand bar, stem, and post are nice if you like the shape of the bars.
Also hard to go wrong with Ritchey stuff.

merckx
06-07-2015, 10:52 AM
I once fretted over this stuff too. Then I began to log 500k weeks and parts became parts. Then I began to log 600k weeks and began to fret over the quality of the fuel I was consuming. I whittled my 6' 3" rowers phisique into a 168 lb cycling machine. What were we talking about again......

stephenmarklay
06-07-2015, 11:37 AM
If you're racing, aero bars will be a no-no.

Fizik and Ritchey alloy stuff is pretty great in my experience.

I mean flat top bars like: http://www.specialized.com/us/en/ftb/road-components/handlebars/sworks-aerofly-carbon-handlebar

Some of the race guys use them and since you can no longer use a time trial bike they make a nice place to test the arms.

stephenmarklay
06-07-2015, 11:39 AM
Seems odd to me that you are getting 105 parts but are concerned about a carbon bar, post and maybe stem.
I would get an Ultegra bike before I spent money like that.
That said, the Specialized house brand bar, stem, and post are nice if you like the shape of the bars.
Also hard to go wrong with Ritchey stuff.

I have to get a bar stem and seatpost for fit so I will upgrade them too. They are cost costing parts on this bike.

stephenmarklay
06-07-2015, 11:43 AM
Man the Fizik stuff looks great. I have always liked the Ritchey stuff too. Enve is awesome buy maybe more $.

thirdgenbird
06-07-2015, 11:46 AM
I haven't used them, but I hear those specalized bars are very nice. If I were building an allez with aero drop bars, I would use the spec bars and a Thomson stem and post. That doesn't suit your setback needs however. How about a fizik post and stem with the specalized bars?

If i were doing the build without your restrictions, it would be Thomson stem and post with deda shallow drops. all alloy. Not super light but not heavy. Perfect for a 105 allez. Good looking and dependable.

JonB
06-07-2015, 12:05 PM
The S-Works stuff is really good. The S-Works 2-bolt seatpost has a 25mm setback. I switched from the Ritchey C260 carbon matrix stem to the S-Works SL stem and while its aluminum, its stiffer and just as light. The handlebars they offer are top notch.

If you do go with the Ritchey, beware of the C260 stems. They have tiny bolts that are easily stripped. In addition, the bolts to secure the handlebar are rear-facing so if you pack your bicycle they are a real PITA.

Lovetoclimb
06-07-2015, 12:25 PM
the ENVE all matching cockpit and seatpost looks slick, especially on an all black Allez (a friend of mine has that setup). I have also seen a complete Thomson setup which would be my preference for performance/cost ratio, but only the handlebars are carbon.

Other options I would consider in no particular order would be 3T, Ritchey, Deda, and Zipp.

stephenmarklay
06-07-2015, 12:48 PM
The S-Works stuff is really good. The S-Works 2-bolt seatpost has a 25mm setback. I switched from the Ritchey C260 carbon matrix stem to the S-Works SL stem and while its aluminum, its stiffer and just as light. The handlebars they offer are top notch.

If you do go with the Ritchey, beware of the C260 stems. They have tiny bolts that are easily stripped. In addition, the bolts to secure the handlebar are rear-facing so if you pack your bicycle they are a real PITA.

Great info thanks!

Ralph
06-07-2015, 01:46 PM
I ride Ritchey WCS Aluminum bar, stem, and seat post. I wouldn't mind using CF parts, but aluminum is just as light (or lighter) and much cheaper. I guess CF has some dampening feel.

stephenmarklay
06-07-2015, 02:29 PM
I ride Ritchey WCS Aluminum bar, stem, and seat post. I wouldn't mind using CF parts, but aluminum is just as light (or lighter) and much cheaper. I guess CF has some dampening feel.

Yes and since I will be riding a kinda stiff aluminum bike I would not mind some CF damping.

Zoodles
06-07-2015, 06:26 PM
Dude, you are needlessly obsessing. A stock allez with 105 is fine to ride/race! Work on the engine and spend your money on entry fees and training resources (ie books, quality eats).

As has been said, ride enough and the consumables - tires, parts, clothing, gear - can eat your wallet.

aramis
06-07-2015, 06:42 PM
Dude, you are needlessly obsessing. A stock allez with 105 is fine to ride/race! Work on the engine and spend your money on entry fees and training resources (ie books, quality eats).

As has been said, ride enough and the consumables - tires, parts, clothing, gear - can eat your wallet.

I agree 100%. My riding/racing got so much better when I stopped caring about bikes/parts much. I will admit having a set of bars you like and at the correct size is nice. They can be $20, but having a good width shape really makes me enjoy riding a bike more. Also having a good fitting kit/skinsuit is so nice too oh and I love kick ass tires.

R3awak3n
06-07-2015, 06:49 PM
I used to have 3T stuff for the cockpit but recently switched to ritchey. Yes the c260 is a PITA but its an awesome stem. If you are gentle with the bolts (dont torque them to 5mn of torque, 4 will suffice) they are ok but still wish they had done bigger bolts. They do face the head tube and can be a pain but how many times do you really have to adjust your stem?

For seatposts I loved my thomson masterpiece but dont like the look of thomson setbacks. Currently have a v1 enve which I like the looks but had the clamping mechanism. I have to say my favorite seatposts are campy but you can't buy those new

edit: ha nothing I mentioned is carbon but the enve seatpost. I guess I dont like carbon on my cockpit.

shovelhd
06-07-2015, 08:15 PM
I mean flat top bars like: http://www.specialized.com/us/en/ftb/road-components/handlebars/sworks-aerofly-carbon-handlebar

Some of the race guys use them and since you can no longer use a time trial bike they make a nice place to test the arms.

No longer use a TT bike for which event?

If you decide to get into mass start racing, PLEASE don't use the IAB on the front of the field. In a solo break, fine. On the front in a break, OK. All day today guys were doing this at the front of the field on broken pavement. It was luck that kept everyone upright.

Uncle Jam's Army
06-07-2015, 09:05 PM

If you decide to get into mass start racing, PLEASE don't use the IAB on the front of the field. In a solo break, fine. On the front in a break, OK. All day today guys were doing this at the front of the field on broken pavement. It was luck that kept everyone upright.

I don't see how you can use an aero drop bar resting your forearms on the tops, assuming you don't wrap the tops like most. I have the Zipp SL-70 aero bars on my primary bike and would never rest my forearms on them. Way too slippery and asking for a self-induced crash.

stephenmarklay
06-07-2015, 09:25 PM

Spicoli, I would not change it if the parts were the right size. I need 25mm setback, 20mm more stem and would like a wider bar. This would give me the fit of my current bike. No carbon won’t make me faster. I got it.

stephenmarklay
06-07-2015, 09:29 PM

shovelhd, I have to actually check my facts. A sanctioning body locally, I was told, does not allow TT bikes as it creates and unfair advantage to those that can afford them. I just check the Washington State Bicycle Association site and see nothing. Next time I see the guy that told me, I will inquire. I may have been told wrong.

I hear you on the use of these bars. The only time I would consider it is if I were off the front in a break or solo or off the back trying to get back on. Otherwise its just dumb.

stephenmarklay
06-07-2015, 09:29 PM
I don't see how you can use an aero drop bar resting your forearms on the tops, assuming you don't wrap the tops like most. I have the Zipp SL-70 aero bars on my primary bike and would never rest my forearms on them. Way too slippery and asking for a self-induced crash.

For sure. The bike I road last week had them wrapped halfway on the top and that was plenty to rest my forearm on.

aramis
06-07-2015, 09:53 PM
Whoops

cderalow
06-08-2015, 07:21 AM
Honestly... spend the money on a carbon bar and post. carbon stem doesn't do a whole lot.

I went Zipp. Even their aluminum posts are good.

stephenmarklay
06-08-2015, 07:53 AM
Honestly... spend the money on a carbon bar and post. carbon stem doesn't do a whole lot.

I went Zipp. Even their aluminum posts are good.

Your right -Thanks. I actually was really not looking at carbon stems as there are so many great aluminum ones out there.

FlashUNC
06-08-2015, 07:57 AM
shovelhd, I have to actually check my facts. A sanctioning body locally, I was told, does not allow TT bikes as it creates and unfair advantage to those that can afford them. I just check the Washington State Bicycle Association site and see nothing. Next time I see the guy that told me, I will inquire. I may have been told wrong.

I hear you on the use of these bars. The only time I would consider it is if I were off the front in a break or solo or off the back trying to get back on. Otherwise its just dumb.

Any kind of aero bar extensions are banned from mass start racing. Collegiate racing has had a ban on aero equipment the last few years, which seems to be q concession to ttansportation costs for nationals and other events for cash strapped students.

Aero drop bars are fine, but anything designed to support the forearm is a nonstarter, even at your local office park crit.

stephenmarklay
06-08-2015, 08:06 AM
Any kind of aero bar extensions are banned from mass start racing. Collegiate racing has had a ban on aero equipment the last few years, which seems to be q concession to ttansportation costs for nationals and other events for cash strapped students.

Aero drop bars are fine, but anything designed to support the forearm is a nonstarter, even at your local office park crit.

It may very well be the collegiate racing. We have two collegiate teams here.

benb
06-08-2015, 08:23 AM
All 3 of these components can be a big waste of money.. either spend the money and get an Ultegra bike w/alloy seatpost,stem, bars or just get a good alloy setup.

The aero "blade" top handlebars are never going to make any competitive difference, they take an extra $200 out of your pocket compared to the good alloy ones, and they are actually heavier than some alloy bars. (E.x. the Specialized ones linked in this thread are 250g/$300, you can go get Ritchey WCS alloy bars around 230g and you can get them for $75 right now on the Ritchey website due to a promotion for June)

You're easily talking $500 you could waste to switch these 3 components over from alloy to Carbon and you're going to end up saving like 100g or something.

Then you go and crash out and you destroyed something expensive... if you don't have a bunch of race experience don't assume you're going to be off the front where you can go do funky aero positions by leaning on your drop bars weird. If you're doing that off the back it's not going to matter anyway.

eippo1
06-08-2015, 08:58 AM
All 3 of these components can be a big waste of money.. either spend the money and get an Ultegra bike w/alloy seatpost,stem, bars or just get a good alloy setup.

The aero "blade" top handlebars are never going to make any competitive difference, they take an extra $200 out of your pocket compared to the good alloy ones, and they are actually heavier than some alloy bars. (E.x. the Specialized ones linked in this thread are 250g/$300, you can go get Ritchey WCS alloy bars around 230g and you can get them for $75 right now on the Ritchey website due to a promotion for June)

You're easily talking $500 you could waste to switch these 3 components over from alloy to Carbon and you're going to end up saving like 100g or something.

Then you go and crash out and you destroyed something expensive... if you don't have a bunch of race experience don't assume you're going to be off the front where you can go do funky aero positions by leaning on your drop bars weird. If you're doing that off the back it's not going to matter anyway.

I'd agree. I use Richey Evocurve bars and they are fine with me. If I really want dampening, I'd go with a fatter tire or use Fizik's Barphat tape. You'll get way more dampening out of 25s vs 23s than you would out of a carbon bar. Can't really speak to seatposts since I always use zero setbacks and there is absolutely no difference in dampening with zero setback. At least in my experience (I just go for ease of adjustment).

Zoodles
06-08-2015, 08:59 AM
My 2 cents having seen new racers waste money repeatedly...If you are after the parts for specific fit issues fine. Ask the shop you are 'sponsored' by to swap the parts with stock alloy parts from other bikes. This makes sense because your bike and fit today bear little resemblance to your bike in 6 mo. Not only will it likely get crashed but your fit will change to suit riding vs racing.

benb
06-08-2015, 10:05 AM
I guess I should say maybe the aero "blade" handlebars could actually help if you're talking some $10k aero road bike and you have plenty of room to spare because your bike is already going to have to get ballasted...

But then again that bike is a travesty to go race Crash 5 with unless you're a zillionaire and you bought a 5-pack of them to get through the season.