PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight Bike Transport Bags?

dk2ck
06-06-2015, 07:12 PM
I moved to the PNW last year and am planning on taking the Bolt Bus up to Vancouver and/or Portland this summer for some riding. I know you can throw your bike in the luggage compartments without packing it, but I would love to have a bag for a bit more protection. I did some searching and found this (http://www.nashbar.com/bikes//Product_10053_10052_174818_-1___#pr-header-back-to-top-link) on Nashbar which seems pretty solid, but it seems like most reviews say that it's pretty bulky and doesn't pack down very well. Does anyone have experience with taking their bikes on coach buses or packable transport bags? Alternatively I might just have to get creative with bungee cords to cinch them down to my duffle bag...

Thanks!

RyanH
06-06-2015, 07:51 PM
If you want something that will also allow you to fly with it, I'd highly recommend Pika Pack works.

45K10
06-06-2015, 10:10 PM
+1 on the Pika. I have had mine for 5 years now, works great

endosch2
06-06-2015, 10:14 PM
I have the Pika. I am in SF right now for escape from alcatraz, on the way here I watched a chicago baggage handler crawl over my bike in the bag. There was not a scratch on the bike.

dk2ck
06-07-2015, 03:28 AM
The Pika looks great but I think it's more than what I really need. My ideal scenario is to have a bag that provides just enough protection for me to feel okay throwing my bike into the luggage compartments of a coach bus. Ideally I could squish it down to a small enough size to bungee cord to my backpack, ride to the bus station, pack it there, take the bus, build my bike back up, pack down the bag and ride straight from the next stop. There is a good chance this bag doesn't exist (and maybe it doesn't need to! I guess I'm not really looking for that much protection...) but I figured you guys would be the people to ask!

BobbyJones
06-07-2015, 05:30 AM
That Nashbar thing is as close you're gonna find to what you're looking for and even that is basically just a "cover".

sitzmark
06-07-2015, 06:36 AM
Price-wise and desired packability, the Nashbar bag (or others similar) and a couple of wheel bags is your best answer. The wheel bags will help protect paint from rims/tires/hubs. You could skip the wheel bags, but scratching is about all the bag is going to protect against anyway, so if you're not worried about that you could skip the bag too.

Bags and cases that add more more protection are going to be similar to the Pika Packworks from a cost and packability perspective.

A cardboard bike box from an LBS would give you more protection, but not something you're going to easily fold and strap to your duffle. Maybe have one stashed at the bus station and discard it when you get to the other end. Do the same on the way back.