PDA

View Full Version : brakes, you like cantis or linear pulls?

Cicli
06-05-2015, 08:39 PM
Why one or the other. I have never been a huge fan of cantis. I have had issues in the past with chatter on the fronts and setup. They do work well when set up right. I have also ran TRP CX8.4's and loved them. Powerful and quiet.
So, I am putting together a fat tire road bike using a Geekhouse frame I picked up here and am down to a choice of brakes. The build will be Chorus and my brake choices are Campagnolo cantis or a new set of TRP's. I have both so......... which would you use and why? The bike will see very little if any mud but maybe some light single track and a bunch of gravel and dirt roads.
Thanks.

Ken Robb
06-05-2015, 09:16 PM
If you have both try them both and see which ones work best. Compared to that experience our opinions are meaningless. :)

thirdgenbird
06-05-2015, 09:51 PM
Campag.

Why? It fits the chorus build and with my limited cantilever experience, I really like those Campagnolo cx brakes.

gomango
06-05-2015, 09:53 PM
Campag.

Why? It fits the chorus build and with my limited cantilever experience, I really like those Campagnolo cx brakes.

Work well for me as well.

fogrider
06-05-2015, 10:31 PM
put the campy brakes on there, then when you swamp them out you won't have any regrets. I've sworn off cantis. as you've said, front end chatter is a problem and while when they are setup just right, the chatter is not so much, but they don't stay that way for long. TRPs and powerful and easy to setup...the last thing I want to think about are my brakes.

thirdgenbird
06-05-2015, 10:36 PM
On second thought, use the trp. Send the canpagnolo ones to me. I don't have a place for them, but you never know ;)

Joking aside, they don't appear on the 2015 catalog I have. I may try and aquire a silver set. Maybe trade my mint Monoplanars....

45K10
06-05-2015, 11:16 PM
I have the Campy CX brakes on my cross bike and my wife had the TRP's. I find they take me about the same set-up wise. The TRP's have better braking power but I can get the campy brakes pretty close to the same braking power if I have them dialed in right.

My wife switched over the the Campy CX brakes a couple of years back because she wore away a set of brake pads within two laps of a really muddy race. She loves them too and doesn't want the TRP's back.

Pretty much a toss up between the two IMO. However, I have had the spring tension screw threads strip out on a set of TRP's so far the Campy brakes have been rock solid.

Peter P.
06-06-2015, 05:06 AM
Linear pulls are easier to set up, brake shoe-wise, but it's not difficult.

I can tell no difference in braking power between cantilevers and linear pull brakes.

Cantilevers may be subject to chatter on the front (read Lennard Zinn's explanation (http://velonews.competitor.com/2010/09/news/cyclocross/technical-qa-with-lennard-zinn-return-to-cross_101807)), which is the sole reason why I'd prefer linear pull brakes.

gomango
06-06-2015, 05:53 AM
On second thought, use the trp. Send the canpagnolo ones to me. I don't have a place for them, but you never know ;)

Joking aside, they don't appear on the 2015 catalog I have. I may try and aquire a silver set. Maybe trade my mint Monoplanars....

Decent price and in stock

http://www.velomine.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=426_446&products_id=1878

oldpotatoe
06-06-2015, 06:23 AM
Why one or the other. I have never been a huge fan of cantis. I have had issues in the past with chatter on the fronts and setup. They do work well when set up right. I have also ran TRP CX8.4's and loved them. Powerful and quiet.
So, I am putting together a fat tire road bike using a Geekhouse frame I picked up here and am down to a choice of brakes. The build will be Chorus and my brake choices are Campagnolo cantis or a new set of TRP's. I have both so......... which would you use and why? The bike will see very little if any mud but maybe some light single track and a bunch of gravel and dirt roads.
Thanks.

V brakes(actually a form of side pull brake) are more powerful(longer arms), but also need to be closer to the rims. Less clearance at straddle cable for mud and fenders. They can also, depending on the bike, flex the seat stays out..since they really are strong. BUT considering all that, for good braking, I like linear pulls. I have swapped many cantis to a variety of linear pulls for people who just wanted better, stronger brakes. PLUS, since no cable hanger, essentially eliminates front fork shudder/chatter.

Campagnolo cantis are made by Tektro/TRP, btw-very nice tho.

4funbikes
06-08-2015, 04:23 AM
I like the look of canti's,but installation and power of v brakes is generally easier/better