PDA

View Full Version : long & narrow roof box recommendation

fiataccompli
06-04-2015, 10:14 AM
OK, this may be a corollary thread to the various VW Jetta wagon threads & such. I have a 2014 JSW that is now drafted as the vehicle of choice for family trips (surprisingly...more cargo room than my wife's X5 BMW & not surprisingly double the MPG on the worst of days...which is most because there's almost always a bicycle-shaped drag device on the roof). Anyway, I think one of the long, but rather narrow Yakima or Thule roof boxes would be a good thing to have for long road trips. Currently, with two kids in car seats & all the paraphenalia they require, we run at 98% capacity in the cabin. I have wide cross bars on my wagon, so in theory I have a good amount of space to work with, but ideally I would think a box that is something like 16-20" wide (maybe intended for skis?) would be good so that I could still carry a couple of bikes (and maybe wheels) along with it. Anyone have a setup like this (on any car/wagon) & have recommendations?

rwsaunders
06-04-2015, 10:22 AM
I've had a Yakima RocketBox for the past 10 years and it's been great. Hauling vacation gear and taking two kids back and forth to college and such. It's long enough for skis and I've hauled everything but the kitchen sink it. I'll try to find a picture of it on top of out van.

lovebird
06-04-2015, 10:35 AM
+1 on the Yakima rocket box. I've had mine for seventeen years now and it's held up well. We only use it a few times a year now but used it a lot in the first few years we had it.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

fiataccompli
06-04-2015, 11:31 AM
So, it is a model that is appropriately narrow to allow carrying a bike or 2?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rwsaunders
06-04-2015, 11:47 AM

Yes you can carry a couple of bikes on top with the appropriate width on the cross bars as the bars come in different sizes. The box measures roughly 92"L x 26"W x 16"H (at the middle of the box).

4Rings6Stars
06-04-2015, 11:53 AM

Check out the yakima website.... they come in all shapes and sizes.

I'm in the market myself and have considered tossing up a WTB to see if somebody local has one they don't use any more.

likebikes
06-04-2015, 12:00 PM
Check out the yakima website.... they come in all shapes and sizes.

I'm in the market myself and have considered tossing up a WTB to see if somebody local has one they don't use any more.
plenty available on craigslist..

AngryScientist
06-04-2015, 12:16 PM
we have a jetta sedan, which is also the family car, and should have the same amount of roof real estate as the wagon, approximately. i opted for a larger thule box, bought used. we're in the same boat, two kids in car seats, and for vacations, max out the cabin space. these boxes are a god send. they swallow an enormous amount of gear. strollers, beach stuff, chairs, etc. i've used a moving blanket and put my whole bike inside a few times. great boxes. go as big as you can. you can almost always fit a bike next to even the widest ones.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-4xjemZXj8oQ/TkkBr2Qg6MI/AAAAAAAAAEI/3dHeXywZKZQ/s1100/Nutley-20110812-00134.jpg

djg21
06-04-2015, 12:26 PM
I have a Spacebooster for sale. It was the predecessor to the RocketBox 11.

fiataccompli
06-04-2015, 12:27 PM
Width constraints seem to be my local(ish) craigslist problem. I find the Yakima site confusing in a too-much-info sort of way, but I have to remind myself that if i can get an engineering degree I can probably figure out their site.

fiataccompli
06-04-2015, 12:27 PM
How wide is the space booster??

rwsaunders
06-04-2015, 12:30 PM
Dropping of a kid at the dorm...

djg21
06-04-2015, 01:05 PM
How wide is the space booster??

It's the same as the Rocketbox 11. Around 22" wide. I used it to carry skis, and could carry 4-5 pair. I recently got a pickup with a camper cap. Unfortunately, I'm in NY, and shipping isn't an option.

fiataccompli
06-04-2015, 01:10 PM
yeah, the odds of finding one close are slim...especially if I'm picky. Frustratingly, I can't count the number of large Excargo type (??) boxes I have seen over the years at yard sales for prices ranging from "please haul off" to $20....not that I'm opposed to actually spending money on a good, useful storage box, but it's still sort of frustrating.

good point about space, angryscientist...certainly something I should consider before pulling the trigger. In the past, I've carried 2 bikes along with a large box like one of the ones I mentioned above (different vehicle, but same concept), but it was tight. I'm definitely more likely to find a local used one if I don't limit myself on width.

thanks all for the feedback.

Fatty
06-04-2015, 06:06 PM
30 second search found this.

http://knoxville.craigslist.org/pts/4986808406.html

likebikes
06-04-2015, 06:32 PM
this one is my favorite:
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_5U_Gsapscak/SC3EPlgq7tI/AAAAAAAAA3c/KKDeKQ-Wnu4/Sears+X-Cargo+Rearview.jpg

fiataccompli
06-04-2015, 08:43 PM
Doh! Email sent. And *that* may be precisely why I am not finding these , because I'm looking under bike stuff or something. Well, or something. Sorry, I should turn over my Internet privileges for at least a week or so for that one!

fiataccompli
06-04-2015, 08:49 PM
I have put thousands of miles one one of those Sears boxes

KonaSS
06-05-2015, 05:49 AM
Some sales here:

http://www.steepandcheap.com/gear-cache/rack-up-the-savings

Sign up for active junky and get an additional 1% off. (I know probably not worth it).

fiataccompli
06-11-2015, 08:58 AM
Thanks for the replies. And via the link on this thread, my JSW now has a whole lot of extra cargo space (probably more than ideal, but with 2 <3-year-olds on trips the amount of paraphernalia can be impressive).

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/11/a6ef7613e3fcfe544ca887edb468479c.jpg