PDA

View Full Version : Recycling titanium?

jwb96
04-26-2006, 08:43 AM
My old, poor-fitting stock Ti road bike - my current foul-weather bike - is going to be retired soon in trade for a cyclocross bike. It's had a rough life with one crash, a drop while walking on ice, and numerous chain drops that have left all sorts of dings and scrapes. So I'm thinking selling it won't get me much money to put towards the new bike. Bit Ti is expensive on its own - are they any buyers of Ti, just for the material, that might get me more than the frame is probably worth now? Just curious. Who knows - I could put it on eBay and get lucky, but thought I should explore my options.

Thanks,
Jim

Ginger
04-26-2006, 09:00 AM
Jim,

I'm no help, but I bet someone, somewhere (probably Seattle) is looking for a Ti commuter/beater bike. Put it on ebay "as is" and make sure your shipping and handling fees cover your costs. I bet you get more for it as a bike than as scrap.

Just a thought.
Mary Ann

Quick google brings up these people:
http://www.recycleinme.com/buyoffers/general__exotic%20metals.aspx

David Kirk
04-26-2006, 09:11 AM
New raw Ti sells for about $30 a pound in billet form last I saw. So you've got about $90 worth of Ti IF the material was in billet form.

So crush it into a billet and you're a rich man.............or donate it to someone who'd love it dings and all.

Dave

L84dinr
04-26-2006, 09:15 AM
Hello Jim, I am in the recycling biz, of sorts. I buy and sell scrap iron and aluminum on a daily basis. Assuming a frame of around 3-5 pounds, the frame prolly wouldn't bring much, Might bring close to, at best, a C note, depending upon the market, shrug. Too make money on scrap you need to sell by the ton. Unless we're talking Platinum, palladium, rhodium, et al. (Which are the precious metals in Catalytic Converters.)

Take your chances on Ebay.

Hope I understood your premise re: your bike and scrap.
Good Luck.

zap
04-26-2006, 09:26 AM
I'm curious too. My ti frame had such a rough life, it gave up.

Wind chime is the leading candidate.

Ginger
04-26-2006, 09:53 AM
Maybe you guys should start a collection of worthless ti frames and when you get a ton of them *then* send them to scrap?

SoCalSteve
04-26-2006, 10:11 AM
Try that. Sell locally.

Steve

CNY rider
04-26-2006, 11:35 AM
New raw Ti sells for about $30 a pound in billet form last I saw. So you've got about $90 worth of Ti IF the material was in billet form.

So crush it into a billet and you're a rich man.............or donate it to someone who'd love it dings and all.

Dave

So what's Dave doing scoping out raw titanium?

Inquiring minds want to know.......... :banana:

Argos
04-26-2006, 11:43 AM
Why not throw it our very own classified section with the full disclosure you listed and a breif description of the geometry?

Is it my size? :D

David Kirk
04-26-2006, 12:09 PM
So what's Dave doing scoping out raw titanium?

Inquiring minds want to know.......... :banana:

it's all reatined from a past life.

Dave

Too Tall
04-26-2006, 12:39 PM
Wind Chime definately. Use the HT with HT badge as the ctr. knocker. Oh baby, won't that be a conversation starter?

crossjunkee
04-26-2006, 04:08 PM
Donate it to a build a bike, or like program in your area. They would love to have. You help a worth while program and it's a tax deduction for you!