PDA

View Full Version : Tips needed on keeping Speedplay Walkable Cleat covers on

bkw
06-03-2015, 12:50 PM
I've gone through two pairs of covers on my Speedplay Zero's Walkable Cleats (http://www.speedplay.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.zerowalkablecleat), and I was wondering if anyone has found a way to keep these from falling off.

It appears that after a couple weeks of riding (and minimal walking/stopping/standing), the covers stretch, deform and will eventually fall off.

Thanks!

foo_fighter
06-03-2015, 02:06 PM
There is an aftermarket version:

http://www.keeponkovers.com/Product.html

Or try some adhesive? Maybe silicone?

RyanH
06-03-2015, 02:29 PM
Another +1 for the Keepon covers. I've gone through multiple sets without losing a pair.

LJohnny
06-03-2015, 03:49 PM
I've gone through two pairs of covers on my Speedplay Zero's Walkable Cleats (http://www.speedplay.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.zerowalkablecleat), and I was wondering if anyone has found a way to keep these from falling off.

It appears that after a couple weeks of riding (and minimal walking/stopping/standing), the covers stretch, deform and will eventually fall off.

Thanks!

In other forums I have been reading reports of fellow cyclists having the same issues as you are having, i.e. falling off, deforming and wearing down quickly. My advice is to stay away from them and try the "keep on covers." I actually used those for about 2 years w/o any issues.

EA120711
06-03-2015, 07:39 PM
There is an aftermarket version:

http://www.keeponkovers.com/Product.html

Or try some adhesive? Maybe silicone?

+1 on these also. My single pair has made it through 3 different pairs of shoes without any issues.

schwa86
06-03-2015, 07:40 PM
Another +1 for the Keepon covers. I've gone through multiple sets without losing a pair.

+1. Really like these...

R3awak3n
06-03-2015, 07:44 PM
I lost my keep on covers so they can also get lost.

zennmotion
06-03-2015, 07:51 PM
OK I'll be the first to thread drift and say the obvious... spds. Unless you're an elite racer, modern stiff mtb soles give up no "performance" to "road" shoes. Embrace your inner Fred, walking like a duck is for the ducks even (especially) in Zoo York

djg21
06-03-2015, 08:50 PM
+1 on these also. My single pair has made it through 3 different pairs of shoes without any issues.

I had one pop off a few times when new. I lost one in the first week and Keep-on Kovers sent me a replacement. After a while, they seem to have broken in and they now stay on w/o issue.

I was really interested in getting a set of the aero Zeros for my TT bike when they were announced in September. I figured I needed pedals anyhow, and for TT bike they made some sense. But they never made it to market, and I've not heard one good thing about the aero/walkable cleats.

I'll wait for an improved version of the cleat before I trade in my Keep-on Kovers.

Anyone try the Szyrs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Highpowernut
06-03-2015, 09:15 PM
Only one problem with the keep on covers, they don't work with Speedplay compatible soles.
Had them on prior shoes, and they worked great.

woodworker
06-03-2015, 09:18 PM
Ok, I've been riding speedplays for decades. I never really used the coffee shop covers because it's one more thing to remember. Then I found the KeepOn Covers, and they were good for a while, but I find that if you take them off and put them back on a few times, they loosen up and eventually fall off and get lost. They're a pretty reasonably priced alternative though.

Recently, I bought the new speedplay walkables. After reading a bunch of critiques, I decided that before I used them, I was going to use some shoe goo and put it in the areas where they snap together. I think that a good caulk might work as well. Given that they are flexible, I think that it has to be a fairly flexible glue or caulk. It's been around three weeks and multiple rides and no problems so far. You might try this and see if it works for you.

Cat3roadracer
06-03-2015, 09:39 PM
Take your shoes off. Done.

oldpotatoe
06-04-2015, 06:10 AM

Thanks!

What does SP say?

CAAD
06-04-2015, 07:57 AM
I have a few hundred miles on the new speedplay cleats with no issues. Covers look fine and have not even showed signs of coming loose. Maybe to many mis-clips can cause them to deform or just to much walking? Dragging your feet when coming to a stop? I walk from my office to the front door thats about all the walking my shoes go through. I got these so i dont damage the wood floors when walking around.

rockdude
06-04-2015, 08:21 AM
I have been using the Speedplay walkables for three month without issue. Thinking about getting another pair for my other shoes.

Vinci
06-04-2015, 08:51 AM
I have been using coffee covers (Speedplay and 3rd-party) for years and never had a problem with them. I just tuck them into a jersey pocket during the ride.

The only time they don't work well for me is if I'm wearing a skinsuit. Mine either have no pockets or really slim pockets that aren't comfortable to carry those things in.