PDA

View Full Version : Campagnolo Shifter Rebuild

DrSpoke
06-02-2015, 10:17 PM
I'm in process of rebuilding the right (rear) shifter of a Campagnolo Record 10-speed from the mid 2000s. Before I took it apart, I was getting some ghost shifting in the lower geared (larger) rear sprockets. When I took it apart I discovered a broken spring which I believe is a common issue. So I purchased a new set and tonight started to put it back together using the Youtube video. And though it's been a while since I took it apart it seemed to be going together correctly. However, when assembled, I'm not getting a full range of shifts. It seems the upshifts (thumb lever) is working and getting the full 9 shifts but on the downshifts (finger lever) I'm only getting about 7 shifts (8 gears) before the throws start to get long. I've taken it apart 3 or 4 times now. The first couple of times it took me a (very) long time to put back together but now getting much shorter. And now it seems I'm finally figuring out how it's supposed to work. It seems the two sets of toothed wheels are indexed with the slot in the thru bolt. But when it's indexed, there are a couple of teeth showing on the front toothed wheel (downshift lever) when the upshift tooth wheel is rotated as far as possible (tightening the shift cable) which seems to be causing the problem. Accordingly, I can get 9 upshifts with the thumb lever but only about 7 with the finger lever before it runs out of teeth and the throw gets long - which is right where the two flat spots are on the toothed wheel.

Anyway, any help or advice is welcomed. And sorry for the nomenclature as I'm sure I haven't used the correct technical terms for the parts but hope it's understandable. Perhaps there are better instructions beside the video. That said, there seems to be only one way to put it back together and I had thought I was doing that.

Thanks

DrSpoke
06-02-2015, 11:42 PM
Never mind :) I watched the Campagnolo video and it seems I had the ratchet ring (finger lever) in upside down - the "10" faces up or forward. Basically, the only part which can be installed two ways - and of course I did it the wrong way. When reversed, both sets of indexing teeth are in sync. Next time should be much easier - and way quicker. Woohoo - should be riding by the weekend.

oldpotatoe
06-03-2015, 05:57 AM
Never mind :) I watched the Campagnolo video and it seems I had the ratchet ring (finger lever) in upside down - the "10" faces up or forward. Basically, the only part which can be installed two ways - and of course I did it the wrong way. When reversed, both sets of indexing teeth are in sync. Next time should be much easier - and way quicker. Woohoo - should be riding by the weekend.

Taa daa..I was going to mention just this..number looks forward.

DrSpoke
06-03-2015, 11:15 AM
Thank you - I knew I'd get some quality assistance here. I must say it was gratifying to figure it out myself. It would have been even more so if I could have done it w/o the video. Regardless, about $10 worth of parts, with 2 G springs left over for next time, a couple of hours of work, a couple of beers and I'm good to go. Next time will be much easier and quicker.