PDA

View Full Version : Good Advice ?

Smiley
04-25-2006, 09:00 PM
So were dispensing good advice around here. What is good advice , what's it worth and when do you know you got good advice , I mean when in your mind did you validate it. mwos got her good advice validated by Lenard Zinn about wheels lately. So when do you know your advice got validated. Recently I spoke out about the 10 speed brifters actually throwing the reach of a bike off , this advice was not vaildated until the good Dr Brooks said so. So it became gospil. I have preached to high heaven about sit bones and Brooks saddles some have drank the Kool Aid but some still search the Holy Grail looking at plastic disposable saddles as the solution.
So when was the last piece of good advice you got, And don't get me started about Bibs again :)

SoCalSteve
04-25-2006, 09:05 PM
From you!

And, I thank you for your words of wisdom and good advice.

The fork is "in the works".

Again, thank you!

Steve

PS: Brooks saddles rock!

mwos
04-25-2006, 10:54 PM
Smiley, you planted the seed.

Kathi

gasman
04-26-2006, 03:37 AM
Plastics.

stevep
04-26-2006, 04:59 AM
the future is in plastics, young man

Tom
04-26-2006, 05:04 AM
"Don't go looking for trouble, trouble will always come looking for you."

This from a guy whose career in school was ended the day he traveled to Vilnius to start at the university and sat on the hill watching airplanes bomb the town.

Ray
04-26-2006, 06:20 AM
Don't buy upgrades. RIDE up grades. From the great Eddy. I try to bring this to mind whenever gear lust starts to get the better of me. Gear lust usually still wins out, but I'm aware of what a futile exercise it is.

-Ray

keno
04-26-2006, 06:26 AM
Time wounds all heals.

keno

ergott
04-26-2006, 06:35 AM
I went Brooks after the glowing accolades I read hear. I’m not through the break-in yet, but all looks well!

Ginger
04-26-2006, 06:40 AM
Smiley,
It isn't *who* validates a comment from this forum that makes it good advice. I don't think any of us take words from this forum as gospel (unless Ben pipes in.) What we do is come here, ask a question, do some more research, try some stuff out, get other explanations that make sense to us, and sometimes report back on our findings or other interesting discussions we've had outside the forum and our decision in light of all that thus adding to the grist in the mill.

Just think'n. :)

sspielman
04-26-2006, 06:51 AM
the future is in plastics, young man

...Wasn't that quote originally attributed to Lucien Juy?

manet
04-26-2006, 07:24 AM
Smiley, you planted the seed.

Kathi

errr... wha??!!

Ginger
04-26-2006, 07:30 AM
Walk like an egyptian

oops!

DRIVE like an egyptian!

Too Tall
04-26-2006, 07:31 AM
SSpielman - Hee Haw.

Everything Smiley says is Gospel. You should see the flock of sheep he maintains...too cheap to mow ;) Smiley's gospel according to Paul, no joke, is reviewed every weekend during rides with Sandy.

We seek. We find, sometimes it works. It is just that random.

dbrk
04-26-2006, 08:26 AM
One person's gospel is another's heresy. That has always been true. What makes bikes polytheistic but not dogmatic is that there are so many different kinds and different sorts of input that produce results that people can confirm. For example, I belong to the "group" (there is no such group) that thinks that when a bike "looks right" it will almost certainly ride right. This applies equally to, say, the jerk's new Ridley and to, say, any of my Mariposas. But the results and solutions these bikes display are radically different. For example, Herse and Singer frequently built bikes with short stems and almost always level bars/saddle. Look today at any Toei or at a Weigle or Goodrich randonneur and you will find very similar solutions. Look at a fenderless race bike by a renowned builder and you will find very different solutions. I like both sorts of bikes but never expect them to be the same. Neither would I expect the "same" fit.

"Good" advice is whatever we choose to take because people invariably like/believe/hold to be true whatever their own experience validates. Mostly, people like what they become familiar with.

End of Gospel. Praise be. (Or Opprobrium, you choice!)

dbrk

Grant McLean
04-26-2006, 08:47 AM
For example, I belong to the "group" (there is no such group) that thinks that when a bike "looks right" it will almost certainly ride right. This applies equally to, say, the jerk's new Ridley and to, say, any of my Mariposas. But the results and solutions these bikes display are radically different.
dbrk

There is such a group, and i'm a card carrying member.

g

BumpyintheBurgh
04-26-2006, 09:15 AM
Never play cards with any man named "Doc."
Never eat at any place called "Mom's."
And never, never, no matter what else you do in your whole life, never sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own. Nelson Algren

I owe my success to having listened respectfully to the very best advice, and then going away and doing the exact opposite. G.K. Chesterton

Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but wish we didn't. Erica Jong

Advice is one of those things it is far more blessed to give than to receive. Carolyn Wells

A word to the wise ain't necessary, it's the stupid ones who need the advice. Bill Cosby

It is more easy to be wise for others than for ourselves. François Duc de La Rochefoucauld

The best advice is this: Don't take advice and don't give advice. Author Unknown

zap
04-26-2006, 09:22 AM
snipped

What is good advice , what's it worth and when do you know you got good advice , I mean when in your mind did you validate it.

When it works on the road.

Sandy
04-26-2006, 09:25 AM
snipped

When it works on the road.

Zip must have told you that. Excellent response! U smart. U very smart.

:) Supid Sandy :)

Bradford
04-26-2006, 10:45 AM
I bumped into a crazy ancient mariner in Saratoga Springs last year who talked me into buying some Crocs. :banana:

I love these things, although I couldn't find an orange pair like the Captain's in my size. I'm even wearing them right now.

Smiley
04-26-2006, 12:16 PM
Just don't walk into a red neck bar wearing them , they'll think your gay , not that there is anything wrong with that . I love my ORANGE CROCS :banana:

pale scotsman
04-26-2006, 12:19 PM
You can stop a sneeze by tickling the roof of your mouth with your tongue. Learned it in 9th grade after having chest surgery where a sneeze felt like someone was ripping into your chest.

saab2000
04-26-2006, 12:19 PM
Jerk told me to get Neutrons. I got nearly identical Nucleons instead and have not been sorry at all. I had previously been very skeptical of 'boutique' wheels. Not anymore.

I don't allow myself to follow much advice, but this time I was happy I did.

Sandy
04-26-2006, 12:29 PM
One person's gospel is another's heresy. That has always been true. What makes bikes polytheistic but not dogmatic is that there are so many different kinds and different sorts of input that produce results that people can confirm. For example, I belong to the "group" (there is no such group) that thinks that when a bike "looks right" it will almost certainly ride right. This applies equally to, say, the jerk's new Ridley and to, say, any of my Mariposas. But the results and solutions these bikes display are radically different. For example, Herse and Singer frequently built bikes with short stems and almost always level bars/saddle. Look today at any Toei or at a Weigle or Goodrich randonneur and you will find very similar solutions. Look at a fenderless race bike by a renowned builder and you will find very different solutions. I like both sorts of bikes but never expect them to be the same. Neither would I expect the "same" fit.

"Good" advice is whatever we choose to take because people invariably like/believe/hold to be true whatever their own experience validates. Mostly, people like what they become familiar with.

End of Gospel. Praise be. (Or Opprobrium, you choice!)

dbrk

"...when a bike "looks right" it will almost certainly ride right..." That is undoutedly correct. However, the important consideration is how a bike fits a particular individual. A bike that looks right will certainly ride right for someone and probably a lot of someones, but certainly not necessarily for a particular someone, who might have needs or desires that would not lead to a "picture perfect" look.

:) Picture Perfect Serotta Sandy :)

Too Tall
04-26-2006, 12:33 PM
This whole thing bugs me. I'm going to my safe place for a while...

dbrk
04-26-2006, 12:43 PM
"...when a bike "looks right" it will almost certainly ride right..." ...snipped... A bike that looks right will certainly ride right for someone and probably a lot of someones, but certainly not necessarily for a particular someone, who might have needs or desires that would not lead to a "picture perfect" look. :) Picture Perfect Serotta Sandy :)

I've owned many a picture perfect bike that was not a good bike for me. I entirely agree with Sandy. However, I also think that unless a person has some really serious issues with back pain or other physical matters, it's nearly always possible to build a picture perfect bike for almost everyone. There are exceptions 'cause when are there not exceptions? Let's hope always!

Sandy the Wise.

dbrk

Sandy
04-26-2006, 12:45 PM
1. Move your saddle forward ( excellent advice for me).

2. Lower the psi in your tires. ( I am now using 120 r, and 110 f , in 700x23 tires, down from 145 in some tires and 120-125 in others), and 102 r, and 92 f, in 700x25 tires.

3. Ride wider tires.

4. Let Smley do your fit.

Sandy

72gmc
04-26-2006, 01:32 PM
Recent good bike advice: "try riding without the bike computer." Spoken by someone on this forum, I believe, when I was lurking a couple of years ago.

Past good career advice: "management is not an attendance prize." It was advice disguised as a comment about a co-worker. I was being offered a promotion despite my part-time, college-student status and had asked why I was chosen over someone else. Spoken by the best manager I've ever known, and now one of my personal rules about professionalism.

palincss
04-26-2006, 06:38 PM
"One of these days in your travels, a guy is going to show you a brand-new deck of cards on which the seal is not yet broken. Then this guy is going to offer to bet you that he can make the jack of spades jump out of this brand-new deck of cards and squirt cider in your ear. But, son, do not accept this bet, because as sure as you stand there, you're going to wind up with an ear full of cider."

Tom
04-27-2006, 07:14 AM
"Fast is slow, slow is fast"

Dr. Doofus
04-27-2006, 07:16 AM
don't mess with your shoes in mid-season

wait

doof has done that 3 years in a row, now

(it hasn't bothered doof a bit...lost time off the bike, sure, but never any foot/leg/back problems due to shoe adjustments)

ok..how about

your stem's too short

Too Tall
04-27-2006, 07:28 AM
Palincss - one of my fav. movies of all time...that and Kelly's Heros. Sigh.

Advice? Too many to point out.

Dr. Doofus
04-27-2006, 09:47 AM
crapgame

oddball

93legendti
04-27-2006, 12:27 PM
So were dispensing good advice around here. What is good advice , what's it worth and when do you know you got good advice , I mean when in your mind did you validate it. mwos got her good advice validated by Lenard Zinn about wheels lately. So when do you know your advice got validated. Recently I spoke out about the 10 speed brifters actually throwing the reach of a bike off , this advice was not vaildated until the good Dr Brooks said so. So it became gospil. I have preached to high heaven about sit bones and Brooks saddles some have drank the Kool Aid but some still search the Holy Grail looking at plastic disposable saddles as the solution.
So when was the last piece of good advice you got, And don't get me started about Bibs again :)

The last pieces of good advice I got were from you: a) Ritchey BioMax II bars in 44 cm, b) 10 speed Ultegra STI levers alter reach from 9 speed, and c) install a Reynolds Ouzo Pro and Heads Up adapter on my Hors with a 1" headset. Thanks!

William
04-27-2006, 03:42 PM
Palincss - one of my fav. movies of all time...that and Kelly's Heros. Sigh.

Advice? Too many to point out.

Classic. :cool:

WOOF!!!

http://members.aol.com/kllysite/Oddball2.jpg

William

William
04-28-2006, 05:30 AM
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00004RF9L.01._PE53_.Kellys-Heroes._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Too Tall
04-28-2006, 06:13 AM
Nuh unh, tell me you don't have the action figures? woof

Best advice I got from Smiley is the same he YELLS at 1/2 the people he sees while riding his bike "HEY PAL I CAN FIX YOU UP WITH A SEROTTA"

William
04-28-2006, 08:31 AM
Nuh unh, tell me you don't have the action figures? woof

Ok, I don't have the action figures. ;)

William :D