PDA

View Full Version : challenge Strada Bianca reviews please

Cicli
06-02-2015, 04:28 AM
I am looking for a set of skinwalls in the 30-32mm width. Compass looks like they are out of stock. Well, in my search I ran across these Challenges. I seem to recall that there was a change in these somewhere along the way and that the new ones are better.
How are these? I am looking for a tire that will serve me well on the crushed lime trails and roads here in the midwest as well as on the pavement.
Thanks and any other suggestions would be appreciated.

gomango
06-02-2015, 04:39 AM
I've had better luck than many I would think.

I put a set on my Bilenky before a long trip from St. Paul to Thunder Bay Ontario last summer.

The roads were a combo of two lane country asphalt, limestone gravel and brand new concrete.

The tires handled everything well from a durability standpoint, mounting was tolerable on Dyads, they rolled forever and gave a pretty comfy ride.

Flatting protection was surprisingly good. Only two flats on the entire trip, however I never could find the reason.

The tires never gave up the ghost until I recently hit a pothole near my house and ko'd my front wheel. Not the tire's fault though.

I am using this bike with a new front wheel, same tires on a trip around Lake Superior this summer with friends and family. We'll see how far they wear into the trip.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8855/18098428471_633d0327f7_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/tzibfc)IMG_2274 (https://flic.kr/p/tzibfc) by gomango1849 (https://www.flickr.com/photos/36270004@N06/), on Flickr

merckx
06-02-2015, 05:50 AM
I don't have first hand experience with the SB, but I used briefly a pair of Almanzos for winter duty until I sold the frameset that they fit on. The Almanzos were perfect for what I needed from them, that was, to stop the incessant punctures that I was enduring from the flinty traction material that the town was spewing on the roads a couple of winters ago. I was able to continue training with confidence once the tires were installed. However, I have since read about so many QC issues with Challenge tires that I've become spooked to dip my toe back in the Challenge pool. In particular, the reports of Challenge tires blowing off rims with no warning was most alarming. I would like to hear about others' experience with Challenge tires. I do have more experience with Compass tires and I would recommend them first, even if you have to wait for a restock.

bmeryman
06-02-2015, 05:58 AM
I ran a pair of 30s last summer on my cross bike and found them pretty great on both pavement and dirt. Of course, that's comparing them to the stock rubber, but still. One tip: don't listen to the recommended pressure range. 90-130 is totally overkill; they won't ride nearly as well.

marciero
06-02-2015, 06:45 AM
Have not used, but one thing I like is that the tread is glued onto the casing while inflated , rather than laying flat. This makes a lot of sense, and is how, eg, FMB tubulars are made.

oldpotatoe
06-02-2015, 07:22 AM
Have not used, but one thing I like is that the tread is glued onto the casing while inflated , rather than laying flat. This makes a lot of sense, and is how, eg, FMB tubulars are made.

However. I think FMB and Dugast are 'cold vulcanized'..just glued, whereas a lot of others, are 'hot vulcanized', meaning like tube patches..chemical 'melting' between the tire and tread to make for a better and more durable bond. More than a few FMB and Dugast tubies I have seen have had tread separation.

If a chemist wants to mention that I am FOS..no problema.

FlashUNC
06-02-2015, 07:44 AM
I have not used the Almanzos or the Strada Biancas, but I would rather walk than use Challenge road tires again. Way better options out there imo.

Anarchist
06-02-2015, 08:58 AM
I have not used the Almanzos or the Strada Biancas, but I would rather walk than use Challenge road tires again. Way better options out there imo.

Pretty much this. Worst tires I ever purchased. Never again.

mistermo
06-02-2015, 09:45 AM
They have put another lay of puncture protection in the Strada Biancas that seems to have addressed the early puncture prone complaints.

My Almanzo's had the tread separate. When I was at Almanzo (ironically) last year, several people had experienced this and Challenge was replacing tires with a corrected version for free. No questions asked. The rep told me they fixed the problem.

I like my Challenge tires, except they're often very difficult to install.

cinema
06-02-2015, 09:50 AM
sorry this isn't a challenge review but you will find very few challenge fanatics on this forum, the topic comes up fairly often.

these compass tires look to be in stock. I've used them and they're excellent but not a long life tire. I got 1200 miles before i felt like i just wanted something more substantial but keep in mind some of those are city conditions with super bad roads. i went with a vittoria randonneur hyper (which has since been renamed to voyageur) and haven't looked back. It's a little stiffer but it is certainly the real deal.

https://www.compasscycle.com/shop/700c/compass-700cx32-stampede-pass/

http://www.amazon.com/Vittoria-Voyager-Hyper-Fold-Bike/dp/B00LGZNGU4

sparky33
06-02-2015, 11:12 AM
I am looking for a set of skinwalls in the 30-32mm width. Compass looks like they are out of stock. Well, in my search I ran across these Challenges. I seem to recall that there was a change in these somewhere along the way and that the new ones are better.
How are these? I am looking for a tire that will serve me well on the crushed lime trails and roads here in the midwest as well as on the pavement.
Thanks and any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Get the Compass or Grand Bois tires.

I like Challenge tires in general, the cx Grifo and XS mostly. I rarely flat any of them.
The Strada Bianca is a fine tire, fine ride, fine volume (30-31)...good but not amazing.

However, the Compass or Grand Bois 28s or 32s are better. Better shape, volume, ride, tread...just better.

I'd get Pasela's before I'd get another set of Strada Biancas.

MerckxMad
06-02-2015, 02:05 PM
I've run a pair of SBs on my winter/rain bike for over a year now and have ridden over some of the worst roads in the Northeast. I think they are the bomb. They seem to have the most round profile of any clincher I've used, including Gran Bois and Compass offerings. They are not as supple as the Compass tires, but they wear better IMHO and roll just as nice if not better. The first time mounting is a royal PITA, bit once they stretch a bit, they are easy on/off. Flat protection is no better/worse than any other wide profile tire I've used. YMMV.

JLP
06-02-2015, 02:28 PM
Well they used to be a favorite among a bunch of us randonneurs. They ride great and are nicely puncture resistant.

My little group of friends, well, we're done with them. Too many weird blowing off the rim at even low pressure/quality problems. I'm going back to stuff from the big names for now.

mktng
06-02-2015, 05:54 PM
No exp with Strada Bianca. However I have owned the universally hated parigi roubaix tires. I loved them. Never any problems. Rolled fast, and were super comfortable.

gomango
06-02-2015, 05:58 PM
However I have owned the universally hated parigi roubaix tires. I loved them. Never any problems. Rolled fast, and were super comfortable.

Same here.

Apparently they worked well for two of us. :)

gomango
06-02-2015, 06:02 PM
[QUOTE=sparky33;1766335

I'd get Pasela's before I'd get another set of Strada Biancas.[/QUOTE]

To be honest, I probably wouldn't buy either of those again after switching a few of my bikes to Compass tires.

They are worth the $$$ if you want to go with a clincher.

gavingould
06-02-2015, 08:01 PM
I thought I'd never really go back to Challenge tires after some less than great experiences, but the skinwall Strada Bianca 30s pulled me back in. I've got a few hundred miles on a set, including the Gravel Metric a couple weekends ago, haven't had a flat yet.
I can say that they were the toughest tires I've ever mounted. On H+Son Archetypes, I had to let the beads stretch overnight on the rims before cramming tubes in there.

buckfifty
06-02-2015, 08:36 PM
Just mounted them on the cross bike. Haven't had too time riding them but they are a pain to install. Definitely need a third hand and some good beefy tire levers (I used those yellow Pedros ones)