PDA

View Full Version : Journalist tries the Hour

choke
06-01-2015, 10:14 PM
I thought this was an interesting read. http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/cycling/as-sir-bradley-wiggins-attempts-to-smash-the-hour-record--our-man-takes-on-the-worlds-toughest-track-challenge-10281420.html

Next Sunday, Sir Bradley Wiggins will ride the same line, if a touch faster, as he tries to achieve what he has called cycling's "holy grail". As rumours of his attempt began circling last year, I decided to get a very amateur view of what it takes, and what it means, from the saddle.

climbgdh
06-01-2015, 10:31 PM
I thought this was an interesting read. http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/cycling/as-sir-bradley-wiggins-attempts-to-smash-the-hour-record--our-man-takes-on-the-worlds-toughest-track-challenge-10281420.html

Great article...... And great ride!!!

ultraman6970
06-01-2015, 10:49 PM
The guy did excellent IMO... track even in wood track is not easy at all.

1centaur
06-02-2015, 07:07 AM
Chapeau for a multi-month effort to write a short but informative article. Is there any other animal besides a human that brutalizes itself just to see what it can endure?

guido
06-02-2015, 08:13 AM
Wonderful article about a great effort. Chapeau!

branflakes
06-02-2015, 12:17 PM
I love cycling! It's like the reverse of the normal world. Normal - outside beauty (read woman) torments internally. Bike World - external torment promotes inner beauty.

goonster
06-02-2015, 12:31 PM
Bike World - external torment promotes inner beauty.
Lay off those Rapha catalogs!

But seriously . . .

I will happily stipulate all day that hour record attempts are truly, supremely painful, and I have no problem taking Merckx, Boardman, et al, at their word that it's the most painful thing they've ever done.

But why?

Why is it that much more painful than a time trial of comparable length on the road? Are they slacking (comparatively), when they are trying to win a tour stage or world championship? Is an hour record attempt really an order of magnitude more painful than, say, a world record pace marathon run (which lasts twice as long)?

branflakes
06-02-2015, 12:38 PM
But why?

Why is it that much more painful than a time trial of comparable length on the road? Are they slacking (comparatively), when they are trying to win a tour stage or world championship? Is an hour record attempt really an order of magnitude more painful than, say, a world record pace marathon run (which lasts twice as long)?

Im sure more qualified than I will respond, but I would suggest there is no reprieve whatsoever in the track. No downhill to freewheel for only a moment, no long straight to take a breath, drink and regroup your concentration, no twists or turns to keep things interesting. The hour is one of staying in the same position, both on the bike as well as the track, and simply cranking away. Lose your concentration for even a moment and you could lose time or far worse. The emotional and mental drain only compound the physical demands.

berserk87
06-02-2015, 01:14 PM
That was a great read - thanks for posting this.

David Tollefson
06-02-2015, 01:17 PM

Because no matter how much faster you go, you won't finish any sooner.

brando
06-02-2015, 01:18 PM
The only thing more brutal than the hour record would be an hour record...on the trainer.

azrider
06-02-2015, 01:51 PM
Good read.

Anyone else find it odd that a self described "non racer" was able to train for three months and get within 3km of Fausto Coppi's record?

tiretrax
06-02-2015, 02:31 PM
What a great idea and article. Bully for him.

rzthomas
06-02-2015, 02:59 PM
Good read.

Anyone else find it odd that a self described "non racer" was able to train for three months and get within 3km of Fausto Coppi's record?

No.

The aero technology available now makes a huge difference. I would also think that that 3K is a long 3K ––·much like it takes much more power to go 25 MPH than 21 MPH (air resistance is an exponential thing).

Coppi on modern equipment and using modern training techniques would probably set or come close to the current record.

tv_vt
06-02-2015, 03:34 PM
Good read, and really good ride by the author.

In comparing his ride to, say, Coppi, remember that power needed to overcome air resistance is not linear. Someone correct me here, but it's more exponential, so going 3k faster needs a whole lot more wattage than you'd think (like previous poster just said).

Should be interesting to see what Wiggo can do Sunday. That he even breaks Dowsett's distance is no sure thing to me. (almost said '...breaks Dowsett's time...' - duh!)

jmoore
06-02-2015, 03:45 PM
I am apparently a masochist but I'd love to do exactly what that author did and try for a personal hour record.